Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 PM

Don't shoot me

Anyone know if a turbo 2.5 from a forester would fit in an SVX, I mean is it realistic? I am having a hard time finding a motor I can trust and am exploring other options. Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
ummm you can trust the 3.3 its built on the 2.2 platform which in my opionion is the best engine subaru ever made... and no i don't think it will fit its too new
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It'd fit, but you'd have to custom wire it.....and you'd only use 4 bell housing bolts.

The motor mounts will drop right into the SVX.....and it would be lighter to boot....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Locker Link Solution

Cheaper and less time to rebuild an eg33 I think.

You'll need the ecu and most of the electrical from the forester as well as a place to put it all in your SVX. You'll also need to make new exhaust, including collector/uppipe and downpipe, or modify the stock ones to fit. You might be able to get away with the TMIC, in which case you'll need to put the scoop on your hood. The scoop you need looks really out of place on the svx too. But you need it unless you elect or have to use a FMIC, in which case you'll need to remove the front bumper and do alot of cutting to the front end, possibly have to move the battery to the trunk and ditch the ABS to make way for the piping. Or you could add some brake line tubing and relocate the unit to the fender, since the silencer won't be needed any longer. If it is a 92 you will also need to make some changes to the power steering system, some 92s and beyond only need to swap the pump. Theres more, but that is the first that comes to mind when I ask myself what would I need to do?

If you have the money and time it could be cool. But if you are just trying to get a good engine I imagine it is just better to have it rebuilt, or have a good one shipped.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
It'd fit, but you'd have to custom wire it.....and you'd only use 4 bell housing bolts.

The motor mounts will drop right into the SVX.....and it would be lighter to boot....
you'll need to take the mounts apart and add 1/4 inch spacers to them, or use the svx mounts, but why use old?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
you'll need to take the mounts apart and add 1/4 inch spacers to them, or use the svx mounts, but why use old?
You can add the 1/4" spacer between the mount and the cross member...but may not even need it with a 2.5

It would definitely be cheaper to just drop in another EG33, but I was just answering the question "Would it fit"

The TMIC would be cool with one of the fiberglass hoods with the Legacy style hood scoop in it...

You'd have a lot of extra room in front of the motor, and could move teh radiators back to gain room for a FMIC setup...

But ANY kind of swap will cost more than replacing the EG33, with another EG33
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
You'd have a lot of extra room in front of the motor, and could move teh radiators back to gain room for a FMIC setup...
Oh yeah, I forgot about the room you would gain since you can move em back... that would save some cutting, and make the hoses easier. You would then need to make a good shroud. Do you think the ac hard lines can bend that much? or would that have to go too?

Old 07-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
Oh yeah, I forgot about the room you would gain since you can move em back... that would save some cutting, and make the hoses easier. You would then need to make a good shroud. Do you think the ac hard lines can bend that much? or would that have to go too?

The AC lines could be re-done....without actually doing the swap, it'd be hard to say exactly what all would need modification....as there is always somthing you don't think of till you get to that point of the swap
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 07-10-2006, 06:37 PM

the ABS is a really pisspoor location for turbo applications. all i did for my FMIC was move the battery to the trunk. and that's only because i wanted to.

You could probably have piping custom made that circumvents the ABS (passing double sided on the side of the battery, like the RB25DET engines in skylines, which led to side mounts.

if you end up doing this, i have a side mount from an sr20 for sale that would work for you.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Locker Link Solution

you've already turboed yours in less than a month?

you must mean the 240... thats a bit different, just take a look at your engine. Abs may not be ideal, but it works, unless you want more pipe and bends to go around..