SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
Emissions

Hi all,
I'm from Illinois and was wonderign if anyone knew the emissions standard of the SVX. I am doing a custom exhaust and want to get rid of the Pre-Cats. However I am thinking that it wont pass the test. If anyone can help me with the laws, or knows of any sort of exemptions we might have that would be great.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I miss my VR-4

Send a message via Yahoo to gtdanielgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX PlayBoy
Hi all,
I'm from Illinois and was wonderign if anyone knew the emissions standard of the SVX. I am doing a custom exhaust and want to get rid of the Pre-Cats. However I am thinking that it wont pass the test. If anyone can help me with the laws, or knows of any sort of exemptions we might have that would be great.

Please remember that everything I am about to say applies to AZ cars.

You CAN get rid of the precats, there is no federal emissions law stating that you have to have precats on your car.. There does have to be at least one catalytic converter on your exhaust system, and it does have to pass the standards in your state. This is quite easy to do in Arizona, considering no emissions place down here has an AWD setup and they basically only do an idle test. I am going to be doing custom exhaust on my car soon, and every single person I have talked to said it would be a bad idea to get rid of the precats as they really dont rob much horsepower, and actually do quiet down the exhaust a bit. I would say its ok to remove them, however it may affect the 02 sensors readings and make the exhaust a bit raspy. Let's see what the other's have to say about it though as I am curious to find out the good and bad myself.

No more subie

Current Cars: 96 Chevy Caprice Impala SS clone
93 Chevy Full-size blazer
Soon: 2002 Honda CBR 954RR
Old 06-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
There is also discussion that the precats actually improve performance.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I had my precats removed and I'm running a 2-1 Magnaflow cat. I can tell you I love the way it sounds after it gets above 3K RPM, But below I still have a few leaks and it can be rudely loud and buzzy at low RPM.I don't know about passing emissions here as I've never had to do it, But I've been told the high flow cats of today do the job of the precats and main cat and WILL pass emissions. Good luck