How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2006, 03:42 PM
apollow

engine not start

i'm new to this forum, and i'm not a native english speaker. so i'm trying to describe the problem clearly.

today my 92 svx gave up starting when i was getting back from mall. i turned key to start position, the electrical works (lights on), but the engine shut up, even without any starting sound. so i called AAA for help. when it was hooked up with the towing truck, i tried last time, it started. and after that, i tried several times, no problem at all. i'm not sure what problem is. maybe the hot weather (above 85F). i am totally no idea. do i need to take it to repair shop? not sure when the problem will happen again. please help. thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
thats really hard to say more then likely yes... ?puede halbar espanol?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-29-2006, 04:28 PM
apollow

yes, maybe i should make an appointment with the repair shop.

i'm not speaking Spanish.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:37 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Ok, so describe the problem more accurately for me. When you turn the key the car doesn't respond? It just sits there and stares at you? Or when you turn the key the car keeps trying to start but doesn't (it just keeps turning over over and over again)? Depending on which of these it is, will determine what is wrong. I wouldn't make a repair shop appointment yet. You may still be able to save some money.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-29-2006, 10:05 PM
apollow

it is the first case. only the warning lights in the instrumental panel are on, which is normal, and the engine has no response at all.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
have you tried starting it in neutral?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
So, I'm having this problem intermittently now, also. Keep in mind I have 5MT w/WRX starter:

I put the key in, turn the key, and nothing happens except for a click (relay sound...not the chatter from the starter), and electrical components coming on (headlights, stereo, warning lights, etc.) If I rapidly turn the key 5 or 6 times in a row, it's bound to start.

Any ideas?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
So, I'm having this problem intermittently now, also. Keep in mind I have 5MT w/WRX starter:

I put the key in, turn the key, and nothing happens except for a click (relay sound...not the chatter from the starter), and electrical components coming on (headlights, stereo, warning lights, etc.) If I rapidly turn the key 5 or 6 times in a row, it's bound to start.
This has happened to most of the WRX swaps but is no exclusive to those. The ignition is not putting out enough power to engage the starter solenoid. The proper fix is to replace the ignition. Most people (including me) add a relay to send power directly from the pattery to the starter solenoid. Not a click in over 2 years.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Interesting...that's exactly what I'd figured. So, could you send me with a PM describing what you did? Thanks!

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Interesting...that's exactly what I'd figured. So, could you send me with a PM describing what you did? Thanks!
This thread will help:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25362
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
As was mentioned, try starting it in neutral. Also try shifting through the gears and back to park, then try starting it.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I had the exact same problem and the relay fixed it for me as well.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollow
i'm new to this forum, and i'm not a native english speaker. so i'm trying to describe the problem clearly.

today my 92 svx gave up starting when i was getting back from mall. i turned key to start position, the electrical works (lights on), but the engine shut up, even without any starting sound. so i called AAA for help. when it was hooked up with the towing truck, i tried last time, it started. and after that, i tried several times, no problem at all. i'm not sure what problem is. maybe the hot weather (above 85F). i am totally no idea. do i need to take it to repair shop? not sure when the problem will happen again. please help. thanks.
How old is your battery? A bad battery can be misleading sometimes, because everything will seem to work correctly but the engine won't even turn over.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE