Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
5 MT AutoXers

Seeking advice from 5MT owners who autocross. Am now familiar with the general understeer and forgiving nature of the 4EAT car on the track. Even though track turns aren't as tight as AutoX, there should be similarities, especially when you get into the turn too hot. The 4EAT tends to start plowing with maybe a little terminal tail switch. Getting on the gas and turning more tightly causes the car to drift out, without either end getting loose. On the 5MT, how does the 50/50 torque split and the more direct engine connection affect the SVX's handling? Tips in advance of my first 5MT track day would be appreciated. Thanks

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-28-2006, 04:15 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I never was able to fully kick out the rear end of my 5MT except one time when I whacked the brakes mid-corner. I imagine your car will still understeer as it did with the 4eat.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I noticed the same thing. Sometimes it feels like the rear is going to walk around on you but it never ever does. You have to pull some Tiff N./Jeremy C. maneuvers to get the back end to kick out

GreenMarine has some experience with this though.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Maniac modifier

The front end always plowed on my ebony. Really I always wished the back end would have more decision making power in the corners. I attended my 1st auto-X in the 6mt the sunday after reading and all I have say is WOW. What a difference. The ability to kick the back end where u want it keeps the front end from plowing. If you are seriously trying to get rid of this kind of manuvering difficulty, there is a center differential available for 5mt boxes that will convert it from the 50/50 split to 35/65 like the 6mt's. They are fairly pricey and can be found at www.Rallispec.com. I am sure there are other sources but this is one I know of for sure.

Edit: Just took a look at the price again and at $1438.00 for the Cusco Tarmac center diff. I don't blame you for reconsidering. Might as well pick up a 6mt for that price

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 04-28-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

On the track with higher speed turns, kicking the rear end out is not so important. Predictability is what is really important. Don't want any surprises. A balanced drift that gets predictably wider with more throttle is more important. The plowing mainly occurs on the 4EAT if you enter the turn too hot and are turning hard while braking hard. I was wondering what the torque split change might do to that balanced drift.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Maniac modifier

Like I said. It seemed to be much more controllable. When the front end of my car used to plow the corner or just feel front heavy, the rear bias seemed to balance it out and allow the entire car to just glide wherever I wanted it to. Only real problem I was having was figuring out where the course was, it was pretty diff. course

Tom
Old 04-29-2006, 09:41 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Tom, its probably not so much the 35f/65r center diff bias as much as it is the limited slip front diff on your 6MT. Gary Sheenan has a thread on NASIOC where he describes trying several different center and front diffs. He was running the Cusco 35f/65r center diff for a while, and then tried a limited slip front diff. The limited slip front diff improved front end traction so much that he removed the Cusco center diff and went back to the standard 5MT center diff.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Maniac modifier

thats a possibility, just seems that since our cars are so underpowered, it is easy to controll the slide rather than a worked STI which would end up sidways in the same situation. I loved it and didn't even care about my time, I was having a blast ripping the hell out of the car.

Tom