Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Fuel gauge annoys meeeeee

I know this has been touched on since the inception of this site, but I wanted to reiterate how infirmed our fuel gauge is and I'd like to back up this statement with fact.

With the needle on the bottom line, right above the E, I filled my tank. It only took 12.8 gallons. The stated tank capacity is 18.5 or thereabouts. So, when the thank is considered hovering at emptry according to the gauge, there is still actually a third of a tank remaining.

Now atleast I have more of a guestimate as to how much fuel is left in the tank as I never took the time to really look at the figures.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:40 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
I have actually run my car completely out of gas once. I think I got 265 miles of all in-town driving on that particular tank (91 Octane). I have since discovered that the low fuel light will come on (and stay on) when you have about 2.5 gallons of gas remaining. Then, based on whether you are driving in town or on the highway, you know how much farther you can risk going before you NEED to stop for fuel.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I like how when I fill my tank up completly, it tells me theres only 3/4ths a tank of gas. Damn thing is pessimistic I say
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Mines never been right, i use my tripometer to determine when i get gas (along with the gas gauge but i depend more on the tripmeter) I generally drive to about 250 miles and fill it up but i've gone as far as 280 and the light didnt pop on! (on mid grade gas no less!) I also fill my car to the top b/c i cant trust the gas gauge to be accurate and the one time i did put about half a tank in it failed me and i got stuck with the little gas light on, no cash, and i was already late for a class thats 20 miles away! I learned my lesson. Fill it up. (i do like my large tank though, i can easily go two weeks without worry so when things like Katrina happen and gas goes thru the roof i can easily ride out the worst of it. but only if my daddy has the forethought to know the spike is coming!)
Old 04-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
Mines never been right, i use my tripometer to determine when i get gas (along with the gas gauge but i depend more on the tripmeter) I generally drive to about 250 miles and fill it up but i've gone as far as 280 and the light didnt pop on! (on mid grade gas no less!) I also fill my car to the top b/c i cant trust the gas gauge to be accurate and the one time i did put about half a tank in it failed me and i got stuck with the little gas light on, no cash, and i was already late for a class thats 20 miles away! I learned my lesson. Fill it up. (i do like my large tank though, i can easily go two weeks without worry so when things like Katrina happen and gas goes thru the roof i can easily ride out the worst of it. but only if my daddy has the forethought to know the spike is coming!)
I have forced mine to 290 miles before chickening out. I'm sure I got there on fumes.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-23-2006, 09:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I have forced mine to 290 miles before chickening out. I'm sure I got there on fumes.
Carry a Jerrycan in the trunk with a few gallons in it. Then you can be brave all you like to find out just how far, she'll go and still have enough to get you to a gas station...

I once got ~650-700 km on one tank... that's about 425 miles. 95% Highway, on Hwy402 in Ontario, and I-75N in Michigan (London, ON to Sault Ste. Marie, ON, via Michigan).
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Registered SVX
On my latest tank in Kitten (just hit the light on my way home from work on Friday...), I'm sitting at 338... Admittedly, I have 40 mile, round trip commute (of which... About 34 is highway)...
Old 04-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
My '92 and '94 act exactly the same, empty at 12+ gallons. My question is, can you trust the warning light?
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
My '92 and '94 act exactly the same, empty at 12+ gallons. My question is, can you trust the warning light?
From my experience of being a cheapskate and waiting till the last moment on gassing up, yes. The light will come on as pointed out above, right around 2.5 gallons. It may go off when you accelerate, and back on on downhills or stops, probably from the gas you have left shifting between sides of the tank. Once the light is on constantly, you're looking at ~1.0 to 1.5 gallons left, which is just about as low as I prefer to ever go. At this point, I've seen the actual guage needle a good 1-2mm below the bottom of the E mark. That range right around the E mark can end up representing 3-4 gallons it seems.

My rule of thumb when the light comes on is that I have a safe 20-mile range to find a gas station before I might start to sweat a little.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
Carry a Jerrycan in the trunk with a few gallons in it. Then you can be brave all you like to find out just how far, she'll go and still have enough to get you to a gas station...

I once got ~650-700 km on one tank... that's about 425 miles. 95% Highway, on Hwy402 in Ontario, and I-75N in Michigan (London, ON to Sault Ste. Marie, ON, via Michigan).
I'd be worried it would spill and kill my interior (not to mention the possibility of it igniting.) I've also read that ppl who've run thiers out of gas have killed their engines in someway or done damage. Not something i'd risk.

I drive mainly highways but no freeways in my daily commute. about 95% of my trip i'm doing 55 which, according to something i saw on the news a few nights ago, is the best speed for fuel consumption. So its no wonder i get good gas mileage. Its also rather hilly where i drive but i let the car loss speed going up hill and pick it back up going down over and over (i start at 55 and go to 40 mph then 65 mph then 40 its great on the equilibrium and not a good idea if your kids are prone to car sickness!)
Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I ran mine out on purpose just to see how far the needle goes. It goes below the E completely. I poured the gallon I had waiting in the trunk and it fired right up without even a cough.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Yeah, that time I ran out of gas, when SVXplorer arrived with my Holy Jerrycan of Salvation, I just poured it in, and it came to life as soon as I turned it over.

Now when the fuel line froze on the Dodge because she let the tank run too low in -40* weather... that was a different story...

Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I ran mine out of gas once (on purpose) Coasted into the pumps and put in 17.9 gallons.
Way below E and the fuel light had been on for quite a while.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:52 AM

i am broke all the time (being a college student and owning an svx does that )

but my gas light was on steady for like a month.

then last week i went to filler up.. and when i did, the gas light is still on!!
so basically by being broke i broke the gas light

i usually get a good 60-70 miles after the needle drops below E
i have run my baby dry a couple of times... (being broke sucks) so i know the limits
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 PM

My gas gauge is the same. It is because we have a gas tank shaped like saddle bags. There is a sensor for each side that combined tell you how much gas you have left. Like me you have at least on bad sensor and it will not give you a correct reading on how much fuel you actually have. At least if the gas gauge tells you you are empty and there is no gas station in site you should still have a few gallons more then you expect left.
04 VW Beetle GLS

Last edited by svxy; 04-25-2006 at 03:49 PM.