Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-04-2006, 02:34 PM

Need some more 4.44 advice??

Okay I recieved the 97 Legacy Outback 2.5 automatic tranny from a junkyard in Ohio...from what I've read it should be a 4.44.

The tranny code is: TZ102Z2CBA-DT

Is this a 4.44 tranny?

Also is it more common/easier to use the replacement rear diff and swap in the LSD/ring/pinion or more common to use the SVX rear diff and swap in the ring/pinion?

I know either would work but from all the swaps I've read you can go either way.

One more question: Has anyone had problems with there 4.44 after they've installed it or is it just such a new swap its too early to tell?

You all are awesome. Thanks again.

Oh I thought I should mention I bought the car from another member on here... His screen name was CRASH.

KYR SCCA member and Rally Driver wannabe.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I've had no problems with mine so far. The gas mileage has improved drastically, it runs cooler, you hardly need any throttle to go anywhere and I actually consider it to be a fast car now.
That sounds like the right tranny code to me. From what I've heard it's easier to swap the SVX limited slip unit into the legacy rear end. Good luck. -Jason
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

YES,YES, YES, it IS a 4.44!!! YOU win the prize!!!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 03-04-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:37 PM

I saw that pic in your locker but there was no caption.

Thank you again.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:14 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
I've had no problems with mine so far. The gas mileage has improved drastically, it runs cooler, you hardly need any throttle to go anywhere and I actually consider it to be a fast car now.
That sounds like the right tranny code to me. From what I've heard it's easier to swap the SVX limited slip unit into the legacy rear end. Good luck. -Jason
Jason, nice to hear yours is running good. I'm scheduled for another swap on mine...(I have to). Yeah, it's faster of course. The acceleration is noticeable almost at any spd compare to the stock tranny. When your rpm is at 4500rpm, what's your spd? (When I did 4500rpm = 100mph? Tom said it shld be higher) Anyway, I hope the second swap will correct everything. For the gas mileage, I've put 4 tanks of gas after the first swap, I got worse mpg one mile less for the first tank, but for the rest three, I actually got better one mile more per gallon

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
You went from 3.545 gearing to 4.44 gearing and The gas mileage has improved drastically?

At face value, this doesn't make sense. Others have stated their mileage has dropped, but it was worth it due to the 'increased power' and 'immediate acceleration'.

Was your original transmission slipping badly or was the solenoid C stuck on, causing binding?

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:20 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
You went from 3.545 gearing to 4.44 gearing and The gas mileage has improved drastically?

At face value, this doesn't make sense. Others have stated their mileage has dropped, but it was worth it due to the 'increased power' and 'immediate acceleration'.
I consistantly get (in the non freezing months )18, sort of city, and 23 highway.

For most people the increased power lets them use less gas pedal, so their gas mileage goes up after the first couple of tire chirping tanks.

Even an unnamed NASA guy told me He got better mileage after his swap and He hits tripple digits in that "special tripple digit legal" stretch of highway on his way to work.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 03-05-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:58 AM

SVXfiles 4 President.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswiggins
SVXfiles 4 President.
Give that man a puppy!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil

Was your original transmission slipping badly or was the solenoid C stuck on, causing binding?
No problems with the old tranny other than torque converter was making noise. I've never seen a tank make it much over 280 miles in my car till I got the gears and exhaust done. I got 380 to my first tank on the way home from the shop and that included a few jaunts to over 100 when the friggin snow would let up for a minute. I think that can safely be called an improvement. I now get about 360-380 miles on the highway and 250(having fun)-280(not so much fun) in mostly city.

Last edited by Budfreak; 03-06-2006 at 08:48 AM.