Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Fuel Pressure Regulators and you...

Well I have my walboro 255 installed and the car ran excellent. I then later installed my adjustable FPR and the car proceeded to run great. Once the temps rose again to the mid 60's to mid 70's the car began to run a little off and stall quite frequently. Tomorrow I am going to go outside and turn the FPR back a little and set it back toward stock pressure of 36psi. Right now I am running about 42psi. The tips are really black(worse than they used to be). I get the feeling I am running too rich and choking out the motor in warm humid weather but it is running great in cold dry weather. I figured everyone should know this so I would share so anyone looking to go with a higher pressure FPR or an adjustable could use this info for themselves

Tom
Old 10-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

From the graph Mychailo posted when he did some testing with his wideband using an Impreza fpr (raises fp to 43psi), our cars will run extremely rich in open loop at that fuel pressure.

I've also noticed a steady blackening of my exhaust tips after installing the Impreza fpr in my car...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Maniac modifier

Yes, but I think the Walboro is pushing it a little too far for an N/A engine

Tom
Old 10-08-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Yes, but I think the Walboro is pushing it a little too far for an N/A engine

Tom
Good point. However, I'm not sure what effect the Walboro is having b/c from a diagram Mychailo posted, it shouldn't affect fuel pressure.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Maniac modifier

I did not think so either but my car is running like crap last night and it did not feel right earlier. I am gonna back off on the pressure and see what happens

Tom
Old 10-08-2005, 10:16 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Tom, I guess you have a fuel pressure gauge mounted on there somewhere? Is this with the Stage 2v4 hardware? If so, didn't LAN say it was tuned for 43 psi?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Maniac modifier

no stock ecu since I cannot get a hold of a z32 MAF.

Tom
Old 10-08-2005, 12:17 PM
ilsegretosvx

What kind of adjustable fpr are you using Tom?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Hmm... I assume the stalling occured only in closed loop operation? Might be an O2 sensor (did your ECU throw any codes?) or even some bad gas if your 5spd has been sitting for a while.

You could always disconnect your battery for a 1/2 hour and then re-connect and see if the problem returns.

-Chike

Old 10-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Bsfc...

While we're on the topic of fuel, I was wondering if anyone had a good estimate of what the BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) is for the stock n/a EG33?

I have long been using 0.50 in my equations, but when doing some research on an LT1 vette forum, most owners there use a value of 0.45 for an n/a LT1:

http://lt1edit.com/pipermail/lt1edit...22/030527.html

Reason I ask, is b/c BSFC values of 0.45 & 0.50 will give entirely different end values when calculating the amount of horsepower my stock injectors can support with a fuel pressure of 43psi (from Impreza fpr) and a max duty cycle of 80%:

With a BSFC of 0.50 - 254.4hp can be supported
With a BSFC of 0.45 - 282.6hp can be supported

-Chike

Old 10-08-2005, 02:45 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
.... Right now I am running about 42psi. The tips are really black(worse than they used to be). I get the feeling I am running too rich and choking out the motor in warm humid weather but it is running great in cold dry weather....
Tom
The exhaust tips on my car also have a fair bit of black soot also. Runs well though in any weather though. I do have some stalling problems, but I have been attributing it more to the light flywheel with my 5MT and the fact that the ECU wasn't intended for a manual tranny. Does your car stall when its idling, or does it stall when decelerating and pushing in the clutch?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
While we're on the topic of fuel, I was wondering if anyone had a good estimate of what the BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) is for the stock n/a EG33?

I have long been using 0.50 in my equations, but when doing some research on an LT1 vette forum, most owners there use a value of 0.45 for an n/a LT1:

http://lt1edit.com/pipermail/lt1edit...22/030527.html

Reason I ask, is b/c BSFC values of 0.45 & 0.50 will give entirely different end values when calculating the amount of horsepower my stock injectors can support with a fuel pressure of 43psi (from Impreza fpr) and a max duty cycle of 80%:

With a BSFC of 0.50 - 254.4hp can be supported
With a BSFC of 0.45 - 282.6hp can be supported

-Chike
Chike,
If you take the advertised 230 hp @ crank and the injectors' flow rate at the stock pressure you'll back out a BSFC of .45 at a duty cycle of 75%
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-08-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
If you take the advertised 230 hp @ crank and the injectors' flow rate at the stock pressure you'll back out a BSFC of .45 at a duty cycle of 75%
-Bill
Thanks Bill.

I suspected that the BSFC for an n/a EG33 was actually around the 0.45 range due to the high VE of our engine in the upper rpms...

-Chike

Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Well I have my walboro 255 installed and the car ran excellent. I then later installed my adjustable FPR and the car proceeded to run great. Once the temps rose again to the mid 60's to mid 70's the car began to run a little off and stall quite frequently. Tomorrow I am going to go outside and turn the FPR back a little and set it back toward stock pressure of 36psi. Right now I am running about 42psi. The tips are really black(worse than they used to be). I get the feeling I am running too rich and choking out the motor in warm humid weather but it is running great in cold dry weather. I figured everyone should know this so I would share so anyone looking to go with a higher pressure FPR or an adjustable could use this info for themselves

Tom
You are going to need to tune. If you can get someone to tune the ECU for you or go with some stand alone engine management this would work. Then you could run the pressure up to where the Walbro is most efficiently designed. Any idea what pressure that is? Got a pump curve?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Maniac modifier

no pump curve. Right now the car is still 100% N/A and these are just upgrades in preparation for the twins this winter. I was just mentioning that the upped fuel pressure is not helping, infact hurting the performance of a naturally asperated 3.3l on a stocker ecu

Tom