Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Kiteless

What Tranny Coolers have you installed, where?

Hey guys. I am sure this questions has been asked, but I was not able to find this EXACT question in the search. The very first mod I plan on doing to my car is the tranny cooler. I was thinking that getting an after market one and mounting it in the car in series with the stock one is the way to go from what I have read so far. What are the exact coolers you guys are using and where are you putting them? Pictures would be very helpful too if you can spare posting them. Thanks all,

- Jason
Blue '94 SVX-L

P.S. - Also where did you buy it, who installed it and how much did it cost you? Thank again.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 AM

Tranny Cooler

I am also looking into a Tranny Cooler, but the shop I had some recent work done won't do It for me . (no complaints on shop. they only do normal service work- ) Anybody know where to go out here in CA.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I have a flex a lite tranny cooler...did the install with my friend and it took 30 mins. The cooler was something like 50 bucks with shipping.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
I have a flex a lite tranny cooler...did the install with my friend and it took 30 mins. The cooler was something like 50 bucks with shipping.
soobiesvx93: Yeah it looks like something that I could do myself. Prolly take me a little more time. Does the "Fles a lite" cooler come in different sizes? Any chance you could provide some pictures that shows where you mounted it? Does it have a thermostatically controlled fan? Where did you buy it from?

94svxred: You can probly just do it yourself. If you do a search you can find some other threads on tranny coolers. But I can not seem to find exactly precicely what kits folks are using, and only a few folks have said exactly where they have been mounting them.

Anybody else got some info on this subject? Thank you very much.

- Jason

Edit: (soobiesvx93) Oh I see that you posted the exact model you used for your tranny cooler in your sig. I will go looking for it.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM

hi

i recently installed a 20000 gvr flexalite cooler... 40$ bucks at kragen.
and i also got an in-line external ATF filter.... its got a little magnet in it for filings too
i installed it in a series, with the orignial cooler in the radiator...

so it went....
Tranny:External filter:radiator cooler: external cooler: back tio trannyy

i put the external cooler in between the radiator and the A/C condensor... i didnt use the little bolts, because the hoses kept it snug... it isnt going anywhere. you could put them in if you are a perfectionist...

alll in all a 30-45 minute job.... the longes part was taking off the mud guard underneath the engine....

GOOD LUCK
JJ
Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
I had the same cooler that Tom has in his car. It's a Flex-A-Lite 26000GVW cooler that I purchased off of Summit Racing's website. It's the biggest cooler I could find. Mount it between the radiator and the AC condenser. A how-to is posted on this website somewhere.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-22-2005, 12:36 PM

btw to move the radiator out of the way just unhook the four bolts that hold it in place, and swivel it out of the way... then put the cooler right between that and the other radiator looking thing in there (ac condensor) and run the hoses, and it should fit nicely.

fjkl;d
Old 06-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Kiteless

OK I used my "Google-Fu" and found summit racings web site (http://www.summitracing.com) imagine that and did some searches for Flex-a-lite and found these.

Edit: I tried to put the URL's into this but it did nto work. Just go to http://www.summitracing.com/ and "search" at the top of the page for the parts numbers listed.

FLX-3820 - 7.5x20" (too long?)

FLX-4126 - 10x20" (Too big?)

FLX-3818 - 7.5x15" (more square) **this one is my favorite**

Please tell me what you think. Also after I get this I am assuming that I am going to need to go down to the auto parts store and pickup some extra hose length.

Wow, this plus the shuft kit and I am looking at well under $150 bucks. Sound investmints I think.

Last edited by Kiteless; 06-22-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteless
OK I used my "Google-Fu" and found summit racings web site (http://www.summitracing.com) imagine that and did some searches for Flex-a-lite and found these.

Big guy - FLX-3820

Then there is this HUGENESS 10x20" FLX-4126

A little smaller - FLX-3818

Please tell me what you think. Also after I get this I am assuming that I am going to need to go down to the auto parts store and pickup some extra hose length.

Wow, this plus the shuft kit and I am looking at well under $150 bucks. Sound investmints I think.
The 4126 is what I had. Great cooler, and fits really nicely.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Kiteless

Zeppelin: Hey that is what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the feedback so fast. Once I realized the links where not working I changed the post as you can see. I think I will go ahead and order that one and get it done next weekend. (Hopefully i will have the car back from the dealer by then. DO you have any pictures od it installed? Thanks,

- Jason

P.S. - Is there anything I need to worry about when I install this guy? Obviously this is going to cause air in the line, is that a problem? I just disconnect the stock ones and put my thumb over the hole or plug it while I am changing out the hoses n' stuff?

Last edited by Kiteless; 06-22-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Kiteless

Replying to my own post. I went ahead and got that part. $50 was a good deal I think. I just shipped it ground, because I do not know when I am getting my car back from my dealer. They are fixing a problem with the back drivers side tire. As long as I get the part (and the car) before the weekend of Jul 2nd I think I am in good shape to get it installed then.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

13k gvw Imperiall from advance auto 50ish dollars and in betweeen the ac and radiator don't think it does much there.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 06-22-2005, 03:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
It doesn't really matter what brand of cooler you get, just make sure that it's a stacked plate parallel flow unit rather than the traditional tube & fin cooler. The stacked coolers are much more efficient compared to similar sized tube & fin coolers. I tried both types and settled on a B&M Supercooler. Now the tranny barely gets above 100 degrees on the highway in the winter, and it takes a good hot summer day before it gets hot enough for the TC to lockup.

KuoH
Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Kiteless

Well I have already purchased the part. It sounds like I can do it in less than an hour. so I will do that first. If it does not prove to be effective enough I will look into that stacked thing.

P.S. - Kuoh, what are you using to get a temp read out of your tranny fluid? Where is the sensor? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I just used a standard water temp sender & gauge kit from a parts store along with a brass T fitting and some adapters from the hardware store and installed it inline with one of the cooler lines.

KuoH