Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
magickfingers

tranny ?s

I'd really like to do a 5MT conversion but can't afford it right now and my tranny is headed south. I can get a tranny from a '95 Legacy, 4 speed automatic. Is this a 4EAT tranny? Will it bolt right in? What differential gearing would the Legacy have? Does the 4EAT have a history of failure in the Legacy similar to the SVX or is the Legacy somehow gentler on them? Is there any simple inexpensive test that a tranny shop could do to determine the condition of the tranny? All replies appreciated. Marc
Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 PM
SEA Sleeper

I had a tranny rebuilt at AAMCO for $2800 w/ 50K mi 5 year warranty. Each shop is really a case to case basis. When I brouht my Teal to AAMCO they gave it back to me still pissing ATF everywhere. Took 5 total trips and allmost a month to get my car running w/o leaking. Not to mention the attitudes I had to put up w/ when I brought the car back time and time again.. I won't return or reccomend the shop I went to.

So basically.... I'm not sure if I reccommend AAMCO..... they do offer a warranty.... If you do decide to go through them, you can haggle the warranty period. They might try to tell you it costs more, but the truth is, it doesnt. Just tell them you're taking the car somewhere cheaper w/ the same warranty and they'll offer it to you. That's how I got a decent warranty on mine.

I'm going to urge you to buy a MT. I regret it every day not buying a 5 spd.

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 06-17-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:03 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by magickfingers
I'd really like to do a 5MT conversion but can't afford it right now and my tranny is headed south. I can get a tranny from a '95 Legacy, 4 speed automatic. Is this a 4EAT tranny? Will it bolt right in? What differential gearing would the Legacy have? Does the 4EAT have a history of failure in the Legacy similar to the SVX or is the Legacy somehow gentler on them? Is there any simple inexpensive test that a tranny shop could do to determine the condition of the tranny? All replies appreciated. Marc
Yes, it is a 4EAT(4 speed electronic automatic transmission).
If you change the electronic speed sensor, and the rear differential, it will bolt right in.
All of the internal ratios are the same, except for the ring and pinion, it is 4.11 to one, as compared to the SVX 3.545 to one ratio.
NOTE; DO NOT USE A REGULAR Legacy torque converter in an SVX!!! It is WAY TOO SMALL!!!!
If the SVX converter is not contaminated by debris, re-use it.
Our theory is, two fold, that with less heat generated in starting to move our (3580 pound) vehicles from a standing start, less wear will be generated, and our transmissions will last longer, and with less power required from the engine to maintain speed, the engine is kind of loafing, having a 16% torque advantage.

A simple test to check the trans condition.....
First check the color, condition, and smell of the fluid...
Or compleatly dissassemble it, check every thickness, wear pattern and specification. This would be both proper, and alot more expensive, say $35-$85 an hour for about ten hours. Assuming the trans guy knows what he is doing, and the trans is allready out of the car.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 06-19-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 PM

What svxfiles said ^^^^

I put a 4.11 autobox in mine, and found I got the same gas mileage in my normal driving (I have to give it less gas pedal to accomplish the same pull away from a stop light effort) - and as a side benefit enjoy better acceleration when needed.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 PM
magickfingers

[QUOTE=svxfiles]Yes, it is a 4EAT(4 speed electronic automatic transmission).
If you change the electronic speed sensor, and the rear differential, it will bolt right in.
All of the internal ratios are the same, except for the ring and pinion, it is 4.11 to one, as compared to the SVX 3.545 to one ratio.
Excellent, that's just what i was hoping to hear. I can swap trannys and end up with 4.11 gears! Thanks for the info. I can buy this tranny and have it installed(along with my ATF cooler which came in two days after i lost reverse) and external filter (OEM, which i've already bought) for $550. I'd much rather have a 5spd but no way i can afford that right now. Thanks to everyone for the help. Marc