How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Please don't pull me over...

Hey Guys,
everytime I drive my SVX at night I can't help but notice that as soon as I get behind somebody, most of the times they slow down to a crawl, regardless of the type of driver/model of car. I get this from ricers as well...

Last time I checked our front headlights did not resemble the infamous Crown Vic's large headlights...

Has any of you guys ever had this feeling?

Also, to be on subject... I think I may soon invest in a 'real' radar detector. Does any of you guys have a nice link with reviews and opinions? I kinda like the Valentine1...

Regards,

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
It is unfamiliar; so people slow down. I do the same with unfamiliar models that trail me.

"In times of peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side." Sun Tzu c 300 b.c.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
maybe you should switch your fog lights back to white from red and blue and quit turning them on and off repeatidly.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:23 PM
no limitation as limitation

with the fogs on it can look like a vic from a distance or at first glance. i have had close friends who have made the same mistake even when they know im following them, i get "i sooo thought you were a cop for a sec, then i realized 'oh wait thats just matt in his bastard car.'"
Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky512345
maybe you should switch your fog lights back to white from red and blue and quit turning them on and off repeatidly.
their was a guy by me parents house who was pulling people over in a green hatch back last year as well as a black impalla. the stateies though it was me, as the phisical description of the guy was aprox 5'8 with brown hair (im blond but the local pd is stupid) i own a green car and my boss, at the time, had a black impalla that matched the description. fortunately i walk with a limp and i have a great lawyer who pointed out that if i were to walk up to someone's car the most noticable feature would be my stride. even with the ez pass saying i was on the bay bridge at the time of the incident they tried to arrest me. if i didnt have a limp i would be in jail.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:46 AM
SVX Appeal

Our headlights are bright. It's possible that some people either can't see with your lights shining in their mirrors, or they think you have your high-beams on and are trying to piss you off enough to make you pass, back off, or switch to low beam. Personally, I don't get it. Some people see bright lights and the slow to a crawl. Any car I've had with bright lights has also magically summoned slow-pokes for me to contend with. If the headlights are pathetic, the problem goes away.

I find that people who drive slow in the fast lane don't usually pull over during the day. Around dusk with my headlights on, they seem to notice and move over fairly promptly. At night however, they become stupid again, and won't move over. If I'm on a motorcycle, people move over day or night almost immediately. I think it's because the headlight is considerably higher and it shines directly into their mirrors and rear window.

I get flashed quite frequently in the SVX. I'm afraid I might cause an accident if I were to flash them back. Some people don't get the message and flash me repeatedly. I keep a million-candlepower spotlight in the back seat just for that occasion. (It also came in handy when some kids tried to egg my car one night. I pulled a u-turn with my parking brake and chased 'em down with the spot light. Luckily they missed, because I didn't really want to get out and run after them.)
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Our headlights are bright.
Not mine... my headlight covers are dark yellow lol... I need do clean them with some polishing compound as soon as I get a chance...

Quote:
If I'm on a motorcycle, people move over day or night almost immediately. I think it's because the headlight is considerably higher and it shines directly into their mirrors and rear window.
Yeah, I noticed the same when I ride my Duc. I think in my case it's because they are just scared of crotch-rockets, when the only one scared should be me because I am more vulnerable and their SUV bumper is almost by my teeth...

Quote:
It also came in handy when some kids tried to egg my car one night. I pulled a u-turn with my parking brake and chased 'em down with the spot light.
LMAO! Priceless...

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 05-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

I switched my fog lamps to PIAA ION CRYSTAL. They put out a yellow/amber light so they aren't so frequently confused with high beams.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 05-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesvx
I switched my fog lamps to PIAA ION CRYSTAL. They put out a yellow/amber light so they aren't so frequently confused with high beams.
thats a good idea. i get flasshed all the time (with lights).