SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-26-2002, 04:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I gave in...

...I just couldn't help it.

It's about 50 today. Sunny. It's rained a lot lately, so there's really no salt on the roads.

See, the car was dirty when I put it in the garage, so I had to take it to get washed. That's it.

And then I figured that I might as well just go do the stuff that I had to do today, instead of taking it home and getting a different car.

So, you see, it only made SENSE that I take the SVX out today.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-26-2002, 04:29 PM
The Road Less Traveled

OT - Justy

Pockets,

Off topic... How's the Justy doing? What's your impression of it so far now that you've had it for a month?

And for those that have had experience owning a Justy, please feel free to chime in...

I'm considering one available locally. 5SPD 4WD, white, 110k miles, $1100CDN OBO (that's $700USD). Little bit of rust, cracked windshield. I plan on checking it out next week. The windshield will cost probably $200CDN to replace, and if I really want the car is so small that it can be repainted for peanuts for sure.

Thx.

VK
92 SVX
00 Legacy GT Wagon
92 Justy Soon-To-Be?

Last edited by vkykam; 01-26-2002 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:27 PM

Registered SVX
Re: OT - Justy

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Pockets,

Off topic... How's the Justy doing? What's your impression of it so far now that you've had it for a month?

And for those that have had experience owning a Justy, please feel free to chime in...

I'm considering one available locally. 5SPD 4WD, white, 110k miles, $1100CDN OBO (that's $700USD). Little bit of rust, cracked windshield. I plan on checking it out next week. The windshield will cost probably $200CDN to replace, and if I really want the car is so small that it can be repainted for peanuts for sure.

Thx.

VK
92 SVX
00 Legacy GT Wagon
92 Justy Soon-To-Be?
That all depends on how tall you are and how far you want to drive it. I'm 6-0, mostly legs, and I find the seats unsupportive of my thighs.

For short trips and commuting, the Justy is a great little car. It only weighs 1,800 pounds, so the 3cyl is definitely adequate. It's nimble and surprisingly good in the snow. I put on $25 Sears-brand tires and it probably handles better than any other FWD car I've driven in snow.

Make sure you get it up to speed on the freeway. I didn't find out until late in day one of our two-day drive home that my Justy is very drafty. I don't know whether this is typical of Justys - mine has obviously had the AC condenser replaced with an aftermarket one, and it fits poorly. So that's where I suspect the draft is coming from. Anyway, above 50mph or so, the passenger footwell has a cold wind blowing through it.

The mileage hasn't been stellar - about 29mpg - but I forgive the Justy because it has been rather cold and I only use it for short trips.

I also drive it quite hard - I missed having a stick. I find the clutch and transmission in the Justy to be surprisingly accurate and nice.

It needs a tach. I think I'll probably buy one from AutoZone or Summit and bolt it onto the dash.

You've got a winner with the 5spd if it's in good enough shape. The CVTs are apparently total garbage.

My '93, in fantastic shape (really - it looks great) with only 87k miles on it was $750.

Let me know more details on the one you're interested in. But I think the Justy is a fun small car. I love the stupid little thing to death.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-26-2002, 05:45 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Re: OT - Justy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
That all depends on how tall you are and how far you want to drive it. I'm 6-0, mostly legs, and I find the seats unsupportive of my thighs.
I'm only 5'7", so it's OK. It'll mostly be for my shortie cutie girlfriend (5'1"). I think Subaru's in general, with the exception of the SVX, doesn't have great thigh support. I find it lacking on the 00 Legacy.

Quote:
For short trips and commuting, the Justy is a great little car. It only weighs 1,800 pounds, so the 3cyl is definitely adequate. It's nimble and surprisingly good in the snow. I put on $25 Sears-brand tires and it probably handles better than any other FWD car I've driven in snow.
How's the 3 cyl. with the A/C on?

Quote:
Make sure you get it up to speed on the freeway. I didn't find out until late in day one of our two-day drive home that my Justy is very drafty. I don't know whether this is typical of Justys - mine has obviously had the AC condenser replaced with an aftermarket one, and it fits poorly. So that's where I suspect the draft is coming from. Anyway, above 50mph or so, the passenger footwell has a cold wind blowing through it.
That's a "feature". It's called the auxilary A/C when the main one fails.

Quote:
My '93, in fantastic shape (really - it looks great) with only 87k miles on it was $750.
That's a stellar price. The $1100CDN is an OBO anyways, I'll have to see the condition to decide whether it's worth it.

VK
Old 01-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Phil & Belha

Please checkout this Subaru Justy website.

http://www.bigginge.co.uk/justy/

We have a 1988 UK model Justy, which I think may be significantly different to the model you are discussing. Our's certainly doesn't have A/C, it's a very basic machine.

Having said that, it's as tough as old nails, practically indestructible. The 3 cylinder 9-valve engine sounds rough but has plenty of torque. The switchable 4WD has no centre diff and grips just as well as the SVX on slippery surfaces. It was our first Subaru and we were so impressed with it that we replaced our other car with an SVX. :-)

We enter the Justy in Grass Autotests once a year and it does very well. You can dump the clutch at the red line and it will just take off without wheelspinning. Then you can throw it into a corner and it will just grip and grip and grip. The only bummer is you can't handbrake turn with the 4WD engaged, so for tight corners you have to lift sharply off the gas and hope the rear end becomes light enough to slide sideways.

We love that little car.

Phil & Belha
Old 01-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Thumbs up Go Justy

I had a Justy for my winter car last year.It was an 88 5sp.4wd.Even with 144,000 and a bad clutch it soldiered on. I really gave it a thrashing too, never shifted under 4500rpms.
It really was a fun little car to drive.I am 6'3'' and didn't really mind the fit.

Hey Pockets, I know how you feel, It was so nice here I had to get the SVX out and take it for a nice drive. It was 54 here.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:45 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
We have a 1988 UK model Justy, which I think may be significantly different to the model you are discussing. Our's certainly doesn't have A/C, it's a very basic machine.
Phil,

It's the same one on this side of the pond, up until 1994. Sometime after that, the Justy's in Europe are the Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro's in North America.

Mike,

The 54 degree weather is my fault. I got snow tires for the SVX this year...

VK
(Whatever did I do to this Murphy guy in my past life...)
Old 01-26-2002, 11:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

I knew you couldn't hold out 'til spring.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-27-2002, 02:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
Please checkout this Subaru Justy website.

http://www.bigginge.co.uk/justy/

Having said that, it's as tough as old nails, practically indestructible. The 3 cylinder 9-valve engine sounds rough but has plenty of torque. The switchable 4WD has no centre diff and grips just as well as the SVX on slippery surfaces. It was our first Subaru and we were so impressed with it that we replaced our other car with an SVX. :-)

We enter the Justy in Grass Autotests once a year and it does very well. You can dump the clutch at the red line and it will just take off without wheelspinning. Then you can throw it into a corner and it will just grip and grip and grip. The only bummer is you can't handbrake turn with the 4WD engaged, so for tight corners you have to lift sharply off the gas and hope the rear end becomes light enough to slide sideways.

We love that little car.

Phil & Belha
The early/mid 90s Justy is different from the 80s Justy, but mechanically they seem almost identical - with the exception of fuel injection. Then somewhere after the generation I have, Subaru started rebadging Suzuki Swifts as Justys.

You think A/C is a luxury, but how do you get to say 'redline?' My Justy (and any I've seen) have no tach. I'm going to have to bolt my own to the dash! I've heard that even the FI Justys like mine have no rev limiter, so you can run them well past the 5,200 'redline.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
but how do you get to say 'redline?' My Justy (and any I've seen) have no tach. I'm going to have to bolt my own to the dash!
I've never seen a Justy WITHOUT a tach, I think they must be standard on UK/Europe models (see attachment from UK owner's manual - but notice that the diagram shows km/h not mph!).
I think the redline on the tach is at 6000.

The Justy Discussion Forum website I mentioned in my last post seems to be broken at the moment.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justy-dash.jpg (141.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Swift Justice...er...I mean...Justy!

<Then somewhere after the generation I have,
Subaru started rebadging Suzuki Swifts as Justys>

Uh...would someone care to help me with this one?
I have a '91 Swift GT twincam, and my wife used to have an '89 Swift GTi(labeled a GTi only for one year...problems with Volkswagen killed that suffix). When and where did Subaru ever Justy-fy a Swift? I have seen Swifts and Geo Metros and Canadian Firefly models....and I have seen Justys...but never a "hybrid". Suzuki sold the Swift overseas as the "Cultus"; even had a 4wd version! But as Johnny Five would say....

.....INPUT?????? Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 01-27-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:55 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I knew you couldn't hold out 'til spring.
I never said I would wait till spring to drive her.I just will not drive in undesirable conditions.

Quote:
Originally posted by MR. Pockets
My Justy (and any I've seen) have no tach.
Believe it or not, the Justy I had was a Justy RS. It had a tach and a factory cassette deck.Along with body color grill and bumpers.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:42 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Swift Justice...er...I mean...Justy!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Uh...would someone care to help me with this one?
I have a '91 Swift GT twincam, and my wife used to have an '89 Swift GTi(labeled a GTi only for one year...problems with Volkswagen killed that suffix). When and where did Subaru ever Justy-fy a Swift? I have seen Swifts and Geo Metros and Canadian Firefly models....and I have seen Justys...but never a "hybrid". Suzuki sold the Swift overseas as the "Cultus"; even had a 4wd version! But as Johnny Five would say....

.....INPUT?????? Don
Don,

Subaru UK (and several other regions) imported the Suzuki Swift and badged it a Subaru Justy sometime after 1994. If you look at the link Phil provided, there are pics there of their post-94 Justy, which looks remarkably similar to the Suzuki Swifts/Geo Metros/Pontiac Fireflys/Chevrolet Sprints that we have this side of the pond.

The Swift GT, are those 1.3L's pumping out 100hp turbocharged? I wonder if I can mod a Justy engine... If I could only FORCE FEED the Justy, it'd be the PERFECT sleeper...

VK
(Wipes drool off face)
Old 01-27-2002, 11:09 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Tach

Pockets,

Instead of buying a Tachometer and mounting it on the dash, why not this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...209467&r=0&t=0

VK
Old 01-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Lowered SVX

wanted to get mine washed.....

but there were like 70 cars getting their cars washed on saturday!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"