Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
ThetaReactor

Yet another audio thread. Couple Infinity queries...

The stock sound system is great for a '92, but it still sucks. Randomly spits out CDs, and the low-end is simply intolerable. The plan is to stuff in some good speakers and a cheap head unit.

I like Infinity speakers. They're the best sound I've found in the "reasonable" price range. I plan on running Kappas all around, if possible.

So, question 1: Can someone just flat-out tell me if the 60.5cs components fit in the doors? Crutchfield seems to think they won't. The Reference series are listed as fitting, and the only difference is an extra 1/16" cutout and 1/4" top-mount depth. Searches seem to suggest that depth isn't really an issue, and all the talk of putting 8" woofers in the doors seems to indicate that circumference isn't a big deal, either.

Question 2: Does Infinity even make component 6x9s? I don't really see the point of having tweeters aimed at the back glass. Hmm... don't even see them on their website...

That Perfect 12" sub at Crutchfield is one incredible deal, too. Significantly cheaper than ebay, even.

Anyhow, here's the plan:
Mono amp in the trunk, maybe 200W. I'm still undecided on mounting the sub. Part of me wants to have it facing the rear seats, so that I can drop the seat open and have that big cone-o-death thumping away. Another part of me says to mount it off to the side in the trunk so as to maximize useable space. Definitely a rather small, sealed box. Accuracy is top priority.

Front and rear speakers will initially be driven off the HU, but a 50W[ish]x4 amp will follow shortly.

Giving the speakers their own amp is definitely a priority, as the HU will eventually give way to a custom PC setup, so everything needs to be geared for a line-level source.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:31 PM

No speakers fit in the door without a) modding the OEM ring, or b) making you own mounting template. That said, any 6.5" speaker will work - even the oversize Euro models like I (and several others use) CDT Audio CL-61.

a no-tweeter 6X9 is a rare bird. Do a goold for 6X9 woofer and not much comes back. Some headunits (Pioneer I think) have a setting that greatly cuts back on the highs for the rear soundstage.

But, why even put in 6X9s unless you want rear seat passengers to get the full sound range - IMHO put your cash into better front speakers or one model up on the headunit, etc.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
ThetaReactor

If I cared about the listening pleasure of the back seat passengers, I'd put tweeters back there. The thing is, though, that a very large number of vehicles use 6x9s in the rear deck, and tweeters are so very very directional that no one is ever going to get good imaging from them in that position. Just makes no sense...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Weasel 22

I have Infinity Refs all around...6 1/2's in the doors and the 6x9's in the rear..the fronts had been done previously so I lucked out..perfect fit..as were the rears..I would be concerned about the shear size of the Kappas...they are rather portly in the rear..not a bad thing but limits the space you can put them in..maybe custom brackets and some mods will do it..plus you need a good place to put the crossovers..I love Infinity as well and esp my alpha home spkrs ..keep me informed on the project and if you can make the Kappas work..I may just upgrade to Kappas later
Old 03-07-2005, 10:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I've got an old set of the Kappa 6.5" components in the front and they fit perfectly, even the tweeters. You just have to carefully drill out the weld spots of the old speaker and reuse the mounting ring. Unfortunately one of my tweeters has blown, though I'm not sure it's my fault. I would think I'd be deaf if I had pumped in enough power to fry a tweeter before the woofer.

My Kappa Perfect 10 VQ from Crutchfield should be arriving tomorrow! I would've gone for the 12" if I had an enclosure handy, but I've already blown enough money recently with a Pioneer DEHP770MP and a Rockford Fosgate DMP1.

KuoH
Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I personally don't like the Kappas. Even with a good install I wasn't able to get the midrange response out of them that I liked. Before I was running on head unit power and they sounded better when amped but still not that great. The tweeters were very harsh and off axis response was very narrow.

If anything I would go with the reference instead or the kappa perfects 5.1.

I would definitely recommend the CDT's or the new Elemental designs components. Are you going to be amping them?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The Kappa's tweeters are aimable and I hardly ever sat outside of the sweetspot, so I didn't really notice much off axis response. With a 1" dome, the midrange can be a bit lacking without proper comphensation. Luckily, my Pioneer head had a graphic and parametric EQ builtin, so I was able to tune it to my liking. Also, most of the music I listen to don't contain much vocals so I didn't notice much midrange loss.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
I personally don't like the Kappas. Even with a good install I wasn't able to get the midrange response out of them that I liked. Before I was running on head unit power and they sounded better when amped but still not that great. The tweeters were very harsh and off axis response was very narrow.