Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Which amplifier should I go with?

I'm not an audiophile. I've been talking with Jimsbaby about the wiring and amp. I'll paste the specifications on the subs below. I went with the Alpine 9831 head unit....which seemed like a good choice I'm going to be running 4ga power and ground wires from the battery and a 1 fd cap. I'm taking my car to a shop on Monday to have a box custom built. Just a basic, unported, dual wood enclosure....within spec to my subwoofers.

I'm just wondering what everyone would recommend for an amplifier to power these two subs?

Peak Power Handling- 1200 watts
RMS Power Handling- 300 watts rms
Frequency Response- 20 hz-250 hz
Impedance- 4 ohms
Sensitivity- 92 db
Size- 12"
Dual Voice Coil- NO
Voice Coil Design- Single Copper
Free Air Resonance- 29 hz
Sealed Box Volume- 1.25 cu ft

I went with these subs as the price was right and everyone that posted a review seemed to be more than happy with them. I quote (from more than just a few reviews) "NO DISTORTION, CLEAN-SOUNDING BASS, DURABILITY IS AWESOME." A handful of people say that they've had no problem overpowering them with very little to no distortion at all.

Any pointers for me when I'm shopping for an amp? I'm probably going to go Ebay for one as I'm definitely not impressed by any of the local audio shops retail prices! I just don't know what power output to be aiming for, as I've had everyone tell me something different (some talk about bridging and stuff that just goes in one ear and out the other). I definitely do not want to underpower them, and I'm looking for the "shake the ground, set car alarms off" results that people have got using them.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Silver/Grey Leather - 114K - (FOR SALE - POSS AS A 5SPD)
2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD - (At the Body Shop Still)
1996 Camaro Z28 Conv - (Sold)
1997 Dodge Ram Sport QC - (Sold)
1998 Dodge Neon Sport - (Sold)
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - (Sold)
1996 Camaro Z28 HT - (Sold)
1994 Subaru SVX LSi - (Sold)
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Custom 5 Speed Swap (Sold)
1993 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe - (Sold)
1994 Subaru Loyale Wagon - (Sold)
1993 Ford Taurus SHO - (Sold)
1989 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe - (Sold)
1991 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe - (Sold)
Old 03-07-2005, 04:04 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I would be needing an amp soon too, but I wouldn't know what to get yet...but I have a question for you:

I installed the Alpine 9830 recently and I'm wondering if you adjusted the Time Correction on the speakers. I got somewhat confused on the chart. I made some measurements from each speaker to my ear as I sit in the driver's seat (with the help of someone holding the tape measure..lol)
It seems the calculations show for measuring from speaker to speaker, but the radio only allows to input for FL, FR, RL, RR which to me means measure from those speakers to the driver.
Does this make sense??

If you've done this adjustment, what were your numbers if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The purpose of time correction is to adjust the output of each speaker so that the same sound arrives at your ears at exactly the same time. To do this, the unit needs to know how far each speaker is fromt the ideal listener's position. This means that you should measure from the center of the speaker to an imaginary mid point between your ears. Unless of course, you have that rare but special ability to pass a measuring tape through your head, in which case you can get an exact measurement!

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by msvx95
I installed the Alpine 9830 recently and I'm wondering if you adjusted the Time Correction on the speakers. I got somewhat confused on the chart. I made some measurements from each speaker to my ear as I sit in the driver's seat (with the help of someone holding the tape measure..lol)
It seems the calculations show for measuring from speaker to speaker, but the radio only allows to input for FL, FR, RL, RR which to me means measure from those speakers to the driver.
Does this make sense??
Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
LOL........Yes, I did take the measurements from the centers of each speaker to my head.........I was able to detach my head and tape it to the headrest while I proceeded with the measurements.....(actually I had someone help me).

So assuming that is correct, I would just put the time correction numbers that associate with my dimensions?....I did do this, just making sure I was correct.....I thought I still had to measure from speaker to speaker also.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Well while we're on the subject... would a 230 continuous watt amp do justice for a 10" Power Acoustic FUBR that has a 600 watt rms rating? They're on sale at Best Buy for really cheap!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:01 PM
You're mine!!

Need a response QUICK!

If anyone has anything to say about the above that would be awsome cuz best buy is down to ONE SUB!!! Alot of internet reviews suggest that he sub i have now (infinity reference) is better but i would assume that the power acoustik is the better pick.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:00 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: Need a response QUICK!

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
If anyone has anything to say about the above that would be awsome cuz best buy is down to ONE SUB!!! Alot of internet reviews suggest that he sub i have now (infinity reference) is better but i would assume that the power acoustik is the better pick.
Stick with the Infiniti, and use the money to get a bigger amp

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
The Infinity subs I bought were very well rated by consumers. I would stick with those.

I went with an Alpine MRD-M605 amp. Rated at 600 watts rms X 1 @ 2 ohms.

I also purchased the harware to link the amp/headunit together. Now I can control all the functions/settings of the amp from my head unit.

The 9830 is also compatible with certain V12 Class D mono amps.

I'm looking for a 1 fd CAP now and then I'll be installing.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Silver/Grey Leather - 114K - (FOR SALE - POSS AS A 5SPD)
2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD - (At the Body Shop Still)
1997 Dodge Ram Sport QC - (Sold)
1998 Dodge Neon Sport - (Sold)
1996 Camaro Z28 HT - (Sold)
1994 Subaru SVX LSi - (Sold)
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L - Custom 5 Speed Swap (Sold)
1993 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe - (Sold)
1994 Subaru Loyale Wagon - (Sold)
1991 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe - (Sold)
Old 03-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Re: Need a response QUICK!

Quote:
depends on what you mean by better. I would say the Inifinity does a better job with musical accuracy (sound quality) and the Power Acoustic will get louder.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:15 PM
You're mine!!

Re: Re: Need a response QUICK!

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

Stick with the Infiniti, and use the money to get a bigger amp
The amp pushes continuous 230 and the rms handling of the sub is 250.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:49 PM

How cheap is cheap? The end result will depend on the specs of the sub and the enclosure you're going to use.

KuoH

Quote:
Well while we're on the subject... would a 230 continuous watt amp do justice for a 10" Power Acoustic FUBR that has a 600 watt rms rating? They're on sale at Best Buy for really cheap!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:16 PM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
How cheap is cheap? The end result will depend on the specs of the sub and the enclosure you're going to use.

KuoH
$57 each or 2 for $109. The sub i have now will burn it up cuz of the distortion so i might buy it and hold on to it untill i sell my car and get a new one . I'll prolly go with a ported box.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantaSVX
...snip...

I'm looking for a 1 fd CAP now and then I'll be installing.
If I were you, I'd save my money & see if you need a cap first...dimming lights in beat with bass notes. I am running about 600 watts now & never have found a need for a cap. Make sure your wiring is up to snuff...maybe do the magic 3, check the grounds, etc.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 PM

The price certainly seems right. I don't have any personal experience with those subs, but the few reviews I've read seem to indicate they perform better in ported boxes. Personally I prefer my bass to be tight over loud, so I wouldn't run a ported box no matter what sub I used. That's why I ordered an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQ a couple of days ago for about the price of your 2 subs.

You can certainly drive a sub with less power than they're rated for, just don't expect miracles and don't constantly drive the amp into clipping. Exactly what improvement are you looking for, more SPL or better SQ?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_4187
$57 each or 2 for $109. The sub i have now will burn it up cuz of the distortion so i might buy it and hold on to it untill i sell my car and get a new one . I'll prolly go with a ported box.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 AM
You're mine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
Exactly what improvement are you looking for, more SPL or better SQ?
KuoH
I'll take a little of both The SQ with the infinity is pretty good. It is very accurate and keeps up well. I've heard louder from a single 10 but i think stepping up to a power acoustik would mean bringing in the big bucks for a new amp and everything.