How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM
BoondockSVX

I think you guys are all being a bit unfair to the SVX. It's a reliable car. I've driven mine over 75k, and I've had 2 wheel bearing failures, and I had to do the timing belt. That's right on par with pretty much any honda. The trick is to find a shop that has CHEAP rates, with competent mechanics. If you take it to the wrong place, they're going to go "oh man look at this thing! It must cost a lot of money, which means this guy must have a lot of money! Let's say it needs lots of stuff!"

But seriously, while I consider the SVX reliable, it's repair bills are NOT all that different from any other car. Parts are a tad more expensive, but there nowhere near BMW or audi parts.

There are a couple reasons you might want to rethink your position though: 1. The SVX is very FAST. not quick, but FAST. It's very very very easy to drive at speeds well above the speed limit. I've (hopefully) learned my lesson, and (hopefully) will not get any future tickets, but I'm warning you right now: It's EASY to get tickets in the SVX. It's super comfy at 80+mph, and it looks expensive. This means cops will want to pull you over.

Secondly, if you're young, I'd avoid it. It's a great car, but I wouldn't exactly call it 'durable'. The engine is bulletproof, but if you beat on it, the transmission can fail (think three thousand dollars), wheel bearings will be eaten up, brake systems will need upgrades, etc etc etc. Not to mention if you get into even the smallest fender bender, SVX body panels aren't exactly common. A freakin' windshield is over $900!!!!!!!!

So, if you think you can be mature, and treat the SVX like the lady she is, fine. If you want a christina aguillera slut who's ready to party like a rock star all the time, I suggest you get a civic.

- Jim
Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
So, if you think you can be mature, and treat the SVX like the lady she is, fine. If you want a christina aguillera slut who's ready to party like a rock star all the time, I suggest you get a civic.

- Jim
I really like that analogy... I've got both:

The Lady

The Slut

Except my "slut" is more of a high-priced hooker that keeps taking all my money.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: <sigh> Too much drama...but it's worth it.

[One week ago, I went and bought one.

Three days later, it all hit the fan.

An extra thanks to any of you crazy enough to read all this, too [/B][/QUOTE]

I enjoyed your story, young man, & I must say it's a pleasure to read a lengthy tale written with decent grammar, punctuation AND in complete sentences.
You get to keep the car for having passed my geezer inspection.
Tell mom that oil leaks are a good thing, & are better than a dip stick for monitoring the oil's condition. If you get the bearings done PROPERLY, (check the thousands of posts in here to define PROPERLY), they could last long enough to get you through college & grad school.
Lastly, don't play Mustang & Camero games at every light, & the SVX will love you every morning.

Best of luck with her, assuming she's yours.

Ron (definately crazy).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The SVX is not a cheap car to own.
A Cavalier, A Honda, An Accent, A Neon, A Grand Am, all cost less to own and mantain.
So why are we driving svxi?
Because we love them. You can truthfully tell your parents that it is a VERY safe car if you are in an accident, that the handeling is predictable, that you will learn from this, good, or bad. You might have to do some repairs yourself, the bushings are a good place to start. That you have the help of friends on this network to guide you thru the pitfalls of ownership.
Drive it safely, be carefull. welcome to the club. Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-12-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
...But then, I'm a grandfather; having taught a teenager to drive (and being young enough to vividly remember my own foolishness), my thinking is an first car should have about 65 horsepower.

dcb
Ford Festiva!!!!!11!!!1

All 58 wild, uncontrollable horses, screaming to get out!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:42 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
I agree with both points. However,I think I would have done the same to keep my car, but then again, I can be a stubborn arse...Which reminds me, dosen't owning this car in the first place defy logic? Its not logic, its that kind of intestinal fortitude that we all have that makes us look past the bad wheel bearings, overheating transmissions, warping brakes, sticky sunroofs, blown dash lights, oil seepage, weak alternators, etc etc etc... Go easy on the kid, eh

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 PM

Re: Re: <sigh> Too much drama...but it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
...I must say it's a pleasure to read a lengthy tale written with decent grammar, punctuation AND in complete sentences.
I'll second that.
dcb
Old 10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

ThetaReactor, your post reminded me of the reason why I left home for college back in '96 and haven't returned since! (Well maybe for a couple Xmas' here and there, but not to live)

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Hater

i'll also offer a "good job" on a well-written post. (its sad when you have to congratulate people for this, isn't it? )

i'll just add that maybe an SVX could be your car, just not THIS particular one.
an abused SVX may cost you much more than the purchase price in repairs if its been trashed. look around - find one with maintenance and repair records, and one that generally has been well cared for.

i did just that and my SVX has been the most reliable car i've owned. a failed coil pack @ $80 (warned before purchase by previous owner, even) is all i have to show for repair bills in over two years of ownership, with no other problems looming on the horizon.

don't just buy the first one you see - shop around.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-12-2004, 04:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'd like to clear up one thing - I do think the SVX is a reliable car. Mine's been great.

But they aren't getting any younger and they're only going to require more care. And that care is only going to get more expensive.

I also just don't think an SVX is a good first car. It's safe, yes - very. It's not the occupants that I worry too much about. It's the other people on the road. The SVX has just enough ability to get you in trouble and, I'm sorry, but young drivers typically lack the experience to get themselves out of that trouble.

Again, I speak from experience.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sperry
The Slut

Except my "slut" is more of a high-priced hooker that keeps taking all my money.
Your slut/hooker makes me drool. I hope to get a high price wh*** next year when I go twin turbo Z shopping...

SVX for the wintery drives and boulevard cruises, and the Z for AutoX (minus the HICAS system of course)...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

I'm gonna name my SVX Christina.....she's a slut and likes to party. Also, she's a little loose and likes to squeel. Now whenever I drive it I'll have a chubby fantasizing about a half naked CA squirming on my lap.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:16 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Oh my

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 10-12-2004, 06:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Hi ThetaReactor,

welcome to the board.... and good luck with ur new SVX....don't worry abt the problems... somehow we have to accept such repairs from a second hand car tht too a 92 one...all we have to do is stay cool and try to handle them one after the other carefully... and we have to take care of them and enjoy it...but don't abuse it by hard hit driving (if it is the case.. it's gonna hit u hard, sometime after at once)... yep i am also a new owner of SVX (from 2 months) but I am familiar with it from a year....

don't forget this is a site full of our SVX friends with expertise in them... and feel free to ask them any doubts u have...really they will help u a lot.... since i have clarified many of my problems on this network only...

Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 10-12-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:56 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Pavan i see you are Indian! Woohoo another Indian on the board

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network