Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 PM
BoondockSVX

Read these. Avoid maaco.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=maaco

Beat up original paint is much better than any maaco hackjob in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:57 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Read these. Avoid maaco.
Beat up original paint is much better than any maaco hackjob in my opinion.
But what about Earl Schieb?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 AM
kmin

heresy

Okay, so bear with me. I've been thinking about getting my car restored as well, i.e. taking out all the dings, taking care of the rust spots, and getting it painted right. Thing is, that's easily going to cost me $3k. A quality paint job alone, judging from most people's experiences, will be at least $2k.

Is that much money really worth spending on your SVX? If it's a '97 with low miles, I could see that. Or if you plan to be a collector and keep it for the rest of your life, I could see that too. But if your SVX is meant to be (fun) transportation, albeit with a limited shelf(road)-life...

I dunno. I mean, I've thought about it, but I don't think I'll do it. I get really annoyed by the paint chips on the spoiler (WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE THEM IN THE SAME SPOTS?), and the rust spots, and the dings, etc. But... as fun as the car is, it did only cost me a grand. I'd rather spend the money fixing things that affect how it runs.

Then again, I probably will be selling it in a few years, when I get a real job that pays.

kmin.

PS - If my heresy above offended anyone, forgive me.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:21 AM
BoondockSVX

K, here's why you should not do that, even if you are going to keep the SVX for a limited number of years. Do you LIKE the svx? Do you LIKE your car? Purchasing a paintjob from Maaco is like sentancing a child to have some horrid facial scar for it's entire life. Maaco jobs not only last just a few years, but they also decrease hte value of the car. If you've never tried to restore a car, I can see why you'd think Maaco is a great deal, but I assure you it is not. It's only going to look good from 10 ft away, and they're going to get paint in places there shouldn't be, they're not going to take apart the side moulding, mirrors, etc....

Please do not do it.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally posted by shelfy
for a second i thought about letting you "test" it out on mine. hmmm.
Bring it on up Ken! I should be able to get it done pretty quickly, if I can figure out the settings on it..

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 08-20-2004, 06:29 AM
svxgirl92

Ok Boondock, lol, you along with everyone else have definetly convinced me not to go to maaco. But just out of curiosity, isn't maaco franchised? Meaning that each shop has a personal owner, and so some of then could be of better quality? In my town, maaco is fairly reputable, and i have no clue where else to go. but all the same, thanks for ya'll help!!

~Jamie
Old 08-20-2004, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxgirl92
But just out of curiosity, isn't maaco franchised? Meaning that each shop has a personal owner, and so some of then could be of better quality?
With any chain, the quality of workmanship will vary from outlet to outlet; you could get lucky and come across an operator who's capable and conscientious, but the quality of the materials used will likely be the same at every franchise location.

dcb
Old 08-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Bring it on up Ken! I should be able to get it done pretty quickly, if I can figure out the settings on it..
figure it out?!? i'm scared!

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 08-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
i think kmin's argument is why not one FOR maaco, but is questioning why one should repaint their car at all. am i right?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 AM
kmin

yup!

shelfy got it right. sorry boondock, i'm not for maaco, and i totally agree with you about it depreciating the car, etc. it's always more costly in the long-run to fix a short-term "fix," in my experience. i was just putting in my two cents worth, that if like me, you're not really a collector (though i wish I had the $$ for that!), and your car is definitely closer to the end of its life than its beginning, it might not make rational economic sense to spend 2 or 3 grand on something that is largely cosmetic.

although if anyone does get a (good) paint job on their svx, i'll be right up there ooh'ing and aah'ing with the rest of ya.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
But what about Earl Schieb?

*old add* "I'll paint any car any color.....$99.95! *old add*
Old 08-20-2004, 12:32 PM

Get solid customer referrals and check-out examples of the shop's work, no matter the brand or ownership. A national chain's Atlanta outlet may do superlative work, but the same guy or gal won't be handling the sprayer in your town.

dcb
Old 08-20-2004, 12:54 PM
tancred

My friend just had his RX-7 done at Earl Scheib 800 for everything, door jams, etc...

6 year warranty, which is a funny thing, he already is having the car repainted by them because its peeling....

you get what you pay for, especially with paint...
Old 08-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Check out my locker - the folder "SVX abuse" includes several never-before-seen color options.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
My friend just had his RX-7 done at Earl Scheib 800 for everything, door jams, etc...

6 year warranty, which is a funny thing, he already is having the car repainted by them because its peeling....

you get what you pay for, especially with paint...
Did your friend do any of the prep work himself? From what I've heard from just about everyone, Earl doesn't sand the car first, causing the peeling, but if you sand it yourself it's a decent job,

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300