How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-22-2004, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Where's the money???!

So, today as I pulled into my low-paying crappy job, I was bombarded with a thrill. You see, my dream car is a Saleen Mustang, but Cobras are nice too. There was a 1996-98 Cobra Mustang parked in the lot, and taking up two spaces! Due to the fact that this company does not reward their employees with Benjamins, I figured this was some Exec's car.

As I went inside, I began to chat with a former boss and friend of mine. I brought up the car, and the terrible parking job. Just as I was finishing my rant, some kid, no older than 18 came up there and told me that he's the owner. I probably asked him if he was lying three times, but he said it's his. I questioned him about the car, how he got it, how he affords it, and where he learned to park.

Suffice to say, the car is a 1998 Cobra coupe with 93,000 on it. He said the car belonged to a Big Ten referee who used it to travel between schools hence the milage. He said he only paid $8500 for it.

Naturally, beyond my envy, I wondered how this kid, who should be microwaving cheeseburgers at McDonalds could afford car payments and insurance for it. Aside from that, what the hell?! I am very upset about this. Sorta. I mean, my first car had like 145 hp and his has like 305 hp. Anyway, I am happy with my SVX but I mean... jeez!!!

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 05-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Talking

Things like that really bite!

I admire those DOHC 96-98 Cobras. I actually got my a** handed to me by a '98, when I raced at the dragstrip earlier this year with my Lightning...

The only mods the guy had on the car were a K&N and full exhaust system. Everything else down to the street tires were stock.

I have the slip somehwere, but I think I ran a 13.68 to his 13.3 something...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-22-2004, 10:02 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: Where's the money???!

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder
So, today as I pulled into my low-paying crappy job, I was bombarded with a thrill. You see, my dream car is a Saleen Mustang, but Cobras are nice too. There was a 1996-98 Cobra Mustang parked in the lot, and taking up two spaces! Due to the fact that this company does not reward their employees with Benjamins, I figured this was some Exec's car.

As I went inside, I began to chat with a former boss and friend of mine. I brought up the car, and the terrible parking job. Just as I was finishing my rant, some kid, no older than 18 came up there and told me that he's the owner. I probably asked him if he was lying three times, but he said it's his. I questioned him about the car, how he got it, how he affords it, and where he learned to park.

Suffice to say, the car is a 1998 Cobra coupe with 93,000 on it. He said the car belonged to a Big Ten referee who used it to travel between schools hence the milage. He said he only paid $8500 for it.

Naturally, beyond my envy, I wondered how this kid, who should be microwaving cheeseburgers at McDonalds could afford car payments and insurance for it. Aside from that, what the hell?! I am very upset about this. Sorta. I mean, my first car had like 145 hp and his has like 305 hp. Anyway, I am happy with my SVX but I mean... jeez!!!
The SVX is my first car, it has 230hp, I paid for it in cash, I pay for/do all the repairs including $2700 for a trans last year, and I pay all the insurance/registration bills. I also usually park taking up two spaces while I'm at work at Wal-Mart (I even have a parking ticket to prove it). You wanna make something of it?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-23-2004, 07:43 AM

Re: Re: Where's the money???!

Yeah, I wanna make something of it!

A '90 300ZX TT was my first car, which I paid for, insured and maintained all on my own. 300hp, t-tops and a 5 spd. That car introduced me to the world of super car performance.... I've been hooked ever since!

...but, I'll say this, I wish I had gotten the SVX as my first car! The Z was only a 2 seater which was annoying when I went out with friends, and the SVX has such a distinctive exotic car look!

I guess you win then BurgundyBeast!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
The SVX is my first car, it has 230hp, I paid for it in cash, I pay for/do all the repairs including $2700 for a trans last year, and I pay all the insurance/registration bills. I also usually park taking up two spaces while I'm at work at Wal-Mart (I even have a parking ticket to prove it). You wanna make something of it?

Old 05-23-2004, 09:42 AM

you like the cobra eh??? check out the for sale section...and then check my locker....

ford rocks!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
ford rocks!

Kelli
Yeah, that is a fair description of them

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Yeah, that is a fair description of them
buttmonkey!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder
First, they are not that expensive...brand new perhaps, but value drops quickly. Also, they are not that expensive to insure - if he was part of his parents policy, he could be paying less than $100 a month. I have my own policy, and I pay $140 a month for my WS6 and GTP together. I'm 24 so I haven't received the big drop in rates yet. Can't wait for that. Anyway, take it from me, an owner of one of these types of cars...they're not that tough to afford. Now to fix that Ford, that's another story I won't get into here.

If you really want to see injustice, just take a trip over to www.Ls1tech.com and meet the 16 year old from california who just got Lingenfelter heads put on his 2003 Corvette ZO6 or the 18 year old with the 2002 Firehawk AND 2003 Silverado 2500HD. The world is full of unfairness. In fact, a buddy of mine (he just turned 22) gets a brand new truck every two years. He had a 2000 silverado Z71 that he just traded in this fall for a 2003 Tahoe Z71. Rich and generous grandmother in that case.

Taking up two spaces!! That reminds me of my mischevious brother...he's the more daring half of my generation. Since he doesn't have good paint on his 69 Camaro yet, whenever he sees a mustang (HATES Mustangs) parked like that...he parks RIGHT next to it...leaving just enough room to get the doors open. He's careful not to scratch the car or anything, just likes to piss them off. I prefer to just piss them off by showing them the back of my T/A. He could easily use my method. But to each his own i guess.

Quote:
ford Rocks!
Kelli - where can I find a "ford rock"? I've been noticing that you mention these alot and i've never seen one. Is it blue? I'd like to see one if you have it.

Last edited by Shadow248; 05-23-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:37 AM

not expensive to insure???what the heck are you smoking?? on a clean record...my 26 year old boyfriend pays 8 grand a year to insure that car!

everyone has a car they hate....pt cruisers, neons, aztecks...but until you drive one, don't judge

i hated the jeep liberty....then i rode in one...nice ride
i liked the wrangler...then i drove one...very nasty bumpy ride

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 05-23-2004, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Quote:

everyone has a car they hate....pt cruisers, neons, aztecks...

Kelli
Is it okay to hate all those cars?

Yeah, that's a nice Cobra in your locker. An ex girlfriend's father picked up a 2001 Cobra just as her and I broke up (maybe shoulda stretched that relationship to the brink so I could drive it) but he has worked hard for his things. Just makes me mad when I see these kids who obviously who did not work for their autos.

Guess the Saleen Cobra is the ultimate and someday, just possibly, I will get one.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 05-23-2004, 01:25 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Insurance rates are weird:

I pay $1800/yr with full coverage and a $250 deductable on the SVX

My girlfriend pays $1200/yr for just liability on a 93 Celica ST (115k miles, cost $2800, only 108hp, doesn't even have power windows). Full coverage would have cost $2500/yr with a $500 deductable.

Both are with clean driving records (although I have 2 pts), both have a good student + driver's instruction class discount, both cars are registered under parents with clean records.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 05-23-2004, 04:13 PM
red95svx

Insurance differs from state to state and has a lot to do with the number of years of driving experience, not just how clean your record is. That's why you young folks get whacked.

With ten years of driving and a flawless record it costs me $400/year to insure my Outback (basic coverage) and $900/year for the SVX (full coverage).

It pays to drive carefully!!

Dave
Old 05-23-2004, 04:27 PM

I'm 26 and my wife's 27 and I've never had an accident while she hasn't had one in over 5 years (also we've had no tickets). We paid $1100 a year to insure her Lancer ES and my prev SVT Lightning...

...our rate has actually risen slightly now to approx $1200/yr since I got the SVX. Funny how insurance works!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-24-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
We pay $1680 a year for 3 vehicles with full coverage on all.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 05-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
everyone has a car they hate....pt cruisers, neons, aztecks...but until you drive one, don't judge
No one is more of a supporter of the "don't knock it 'till you *** it" line of thinking than me.

I've sold, serviced and driven mustangs...in fact i've driven at least one representative of almost EVERY generation of the car (and that's if you don't consider the 1979-present body as one generation). A few higlights...a 1967 GT350 (that was my favorite of ANY mustang i drove), a 2001 Steeda R380, a 2000 Saleen vert, and a 2003 Cobra. That R380 cost it's owner about $42,000 and would still get cooked, cleaned and served over rice by my factory stock WS6.

On the side of the stang...it is much cheaper than the faster f-bodies so at least ford isn't completely upside down in marketing...especially in recent years since they stopped marketing it against the Camaros and T/A's, a very smart move. Plus the 6-cylinder stangs themselves nearly outsold the entire f-body line. Guess in the end money IS all that matters. not that i'm complaining though, at least I know in 20 years, thanks to the stang sales numbers, my T/A will hold it's value much better.

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Insurance differs from state to state and has a lot to do with the number of years of driving experience, not just how clean your record is. That's why you young folks get whacked.
Agreed. That's why I always say - if you are unhappy with your rates, shop around, you'll almost definetly save alot of money. My buddy has a 2001 Camaro SS and a 1990 Buick daily driver, and was with the same insurance company I am, and he nearly cut his rate in half by switching to someone else. And it wasn't Geico.

Last edited by Shadow248; 05-23-2004 at 11:03 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: