How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Bunny

Need Advice Buying SVX

Hey everyone - I'm a "newb" so forgive me if these questions are redundant. I am looking at a 1992 SVX that the owner is selling for $2900. It has 76,000 miles and he just had the tranny rebuilt and it comes with a 1 year/ 12,000 warranty. He bought it a year and a half ago from a tow yard where it had been siiting for a while. Of course down here in Miami, when you see a car advertised in the auto trader as "like new" it really should be translated "piece of crap". Anyways, I went to see it and here's what I found:

Good -

The interior is charcoal leather and like new except for a little wear (no holes) on the front seat side bolsters. The AC is ice cold. The car runs/drives really nice and shifts great. He has the paperwork and warranty for the tranny work. No body work as far as I can tell.

Bad -

The car needs a complete paint job - it's black and the Florida sun has taken it's toll. Needs new tires. Power antenna is broken. Windshield has a 6 inch crack traversing the top left corner. There is a "roar" coming from the driver's rear which I assume is a bearing - he had the front bearings replaced and not the rear. The front windows don't work - I can hear the motors turning but the windows can be slid down manually and are just held up via tension.

The other big question is that the FWD light is on. I read on some posts that this is because a fuse has been put in (if/when I go back to look at this car I'll check). Could this have been done for a reason when the tranny was rebuilt?

Anyway - sorry I have so many questions. I have been an auto restoration mechanic (40's - 70's cars without all the complicated emmissions and computer controlled equipment) so I am not afraid to spend a little time and money if it's worth it.

Should I run away or take a chance? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Hater

offer $1000? you will end up sinking more than the asking price in to make it right, plus time and aggravation. a semi-decent paintjob is at LEAST $2000, windshield is $$$$$, etc.

i'd just find a nice one for $5000-6000 and not have to deal with all that.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-06-2004, 01:53 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Need Advice Buying SVX

It could be a nice project car.

Let's look at it.

Quote:
The car needs a complete paint job - it's black and the Florida sun has taken it's toll.
A good paintjob will run you anywhere from 2-5000. A great paintjob will run you over 10000.

Quote:
Needs new tires. Power antenna is broken.
Tires and antenna. Tires can be had for around 500. Search at tirerack.com . Antenna could be fixed as well. Check on www.svxworldnetwork.org for more info.

Quote:
Windshield has a 6 inch crack traversing the top left corner.
That one is a big ticket item. SOA will ask you around 1000 for the windshield. Why? Titanium coated windshield.

Quote:
There is a "roar" coming from the driver's rear which I assume is a bearing - he had the front bearings replaced and not the rear.
Bearings are around 700 bucks for the pair with labour. You want to do them in pairs.

Quote:
The front windows don't work - I can hear the motors turning but the windows can be slid down manually and are just held up via tension.
Not good. I think you might need a rail bracket or parts of that assembly. You can only buy them as a whole unit if I recall.

Quote:
The other big question is that the FWD light is on. I read on some posts that this is because a fuse has been put in (if/when I go back to look at this car I'll check). Could this have been done for a reason when the tranny was rebuilt?
That's not good at all. It should not be on.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Bunny

Unhappy Starting to run away....

Thanks for the advice guys. I've wanted an SVX for a long time and was hoping this one was "the one". My wife and I are moving to Costa Rica at the end of summer and I thought it would be nice to drive an SVX on our "farewell tour" visiting friends and family around the country.

The problem with wanting an SVX is that the desire never seems to leave - especially after you've driven a couple - and I really have to fight the desire to buy one (even if it is a project I really shouldn't be getting into right now) and the money I really shouldn't spend at this time starts burning a hole in my pocket !!! I've even tried to crunch the numbers and have tired to justify the Paint USA $500 special!

Thanks again for having such a friendly and informative site. Maybe someday I'll get to join the drivers' club.

John
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 AM

Question ... a "great" $10,000 paintjob!

I can't imagine driving a car after paying $10 LARGE to repaint it!

For that dough I would expect to paint my house..

All my cars. My truck & camper. Both motorcycles.

The town RED a couple of times...

And I would STILL be worrying about the first scratch on each of them!

Except the house.
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 03-07-2004, 12:04 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
YEpp, 10k paintjobs are not for everyone. They are painted on show cars and/or trucks. You'd get a couple of base coats, a couple of deep rich coats of paint and a couple of layers of clear coat and epoxy coats.

When you are done, it'll shine like the sun and will be as tough, if not tougher than nails.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!