How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 AM
Tired

Steering Problem (replaced rack)

Ok, just got car back from getting new (rebuilt) rack. Steering is still very tight. I did need a new rack (right seal was blown and fluid was burnt bad) but he (mechanic) sugested the valve could be bad or that the rack is set-up too tight and would loosen. He said to drive it a while and see if it loosens up. I checked a new valve and it's $300!

Can I unplug the valve to allow the car to have full power steering? I have the electronically controled steering. Can I bypass this vavle?

Commuter, I've been keeping up with your thread and my steering was doing what yours is doing.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I tried to see what would happen when I disconnected the wire to the top of the rack. It shuts OFF the ps.

So you are confirming what I have thought, the rebuilt rack uses the old electric "stuff" and valve that sits on top of it. Is that the case?
Sorry your rebuilt rack did not work out. How much is a new rack and does it come with the valve?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Tired

New Rack

Not sure about the price in the new rack. I know Delco rebuild was going to be $400 and the NAPA was around the same price. I found a Crown unit for around $200 with a one year warranty. I hate to go cheap but finances have been very low this year.

I drove it today at lunch and there is a slight groaning vibration feel. It is loose in some spots. If I keep turning in one direction then it is fine, but as soon as I switch to turn it the other direction it meets resistance. I saw on your other thread that someone mentioned the U-join in the steering shaft. I am going to WD-40 it tonight when I get home to see if that helps.

Frustrating...
Old 02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Tired

One more thing... I did replace the o-ring a long time ago. I don't think it's related.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Tired

After driving it hard for a few miles the sterring began to loosen up. It then started to bind after cooling down. I checked the fluid tonight and it smelled burnt.

Again, rebuilt rack was replaced yesterday, old burnt fluid was flushed and new fluid was put in. 12 hours later the fluid is burnt again.

Whats wrong with my car? Is the re-built rack bad?