Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 02-04-2004, 03:20 PM
tmaslar

Experiences with Level 10 Hydrosystem recalibration

Does anybody have any experience or opinions about the Hydrosystem valve recalibration that Level 10 (levelten.com)offers? They claim it lowers the operating temperature of the tranny fluid enough to make external coolers,filters and such unnecessary. All while improving shift performance and increasing transmission life. This costs $700 if you pull and replace it yourself. They want another $300-$400 if they R/R the unit for you. Is this for real and can it actually make up for design shortcomings in early 92' transmissions such as mine. $700-$1100 seems like alot of $$$ especially considering the fact that the tranny in my car is currently working fine. I am interested in keeping it that way as long as possible considering the well known problems with this transmission. I have already purchased an external cooler, filter and temperature gauge for the transmission. By the way the car is a newly purchased 92' with 44,000 miles on it.

Tom
Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Green1995SVX

Welcome to the network. Where in PA are you located? It's a big state.

Mike
Old 02-04-2004, 05:33 PM
tmaslar

Hello,

I am in Allentown area in south eastern PA about 50 miles from Philadelphia and 75 miles from New York City.

Tom
Old 02-04-2004, 05:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Tom,

Welcome to the SVX family. May your SVX give you as much pure joy as mine gives me.

It is my understanding that the Level 10 "hydro-valve has a 1/16" larger dia. for the valve orifice than the stock '92-'95 valve. This is the same thing Subaru did with the '96-'97 tranny. This increases ATF flow thereby lowering the temperature.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
It is my understanding that the Level 10 "hydro-valve has a 1/16" larger dia. for the valve orifice than the stock '92-'95 valve. This is the same thing Subaru did with the '96-'97 tranny. This increases ATF flow thereby lowering the temperature.
Larry,

Is there a place in your vast SVX technical library where this is documented? I thought all valve bodies were the same throughout the years. I did not know that the 96/97s had that modification. Does that mean that all factory remanufactured trannies have the benefit of this update?

(I remember talking to Pat at Level Ten about the hydrostatic valve mod when I had the 92 pearlie. He said all the aftermarket cooling in the world would not make as much difference in keeping tranny fluid temps low and protecting the internals as the valve body recalibration.

He said its all about increasing the volume of fluid flow. He claims over twice the volume of fluid exchange as stock.

He also said that he has done many cars from customers in the Middle East who run with no tranny coolers at all, just the valve body mod.

I thought about doing it to the 96, but if the boys at Subaru have already done it for us...

Pat would probably know)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-05-2004, 05:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
John,

I will have to dig through my SVX libray this weekend.
It may also be on Joe Spitz's web site
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:25 PM
tmaslar

Hey Guys,

Thanks for checking this out for me.

Tom
Old 06-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Following the path of the beam

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
John,

I will have to dig through my SVX libray this weekend.
It may also be on Joe Spitz's web site
So did we ever find out?
Because I'm thinking I could probably find an entire 96+ tranny in a junkyard somewhere for $700. Although I'll still probably get the PTS kit.

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 06-13-2004, 05:21 AM
Following the path of the beam

Also if I'm thinking of the right part(which I'm probably not) it's only $700 direct from Subaru! Is this what we're talking about?
->HERE<-

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 06-13-2004, 11:17 AM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
How hard is it to change out the valve body for a do it yourselfer?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Back from the Dead

I am bringing this post back from the graveyard. It does not seem like there have been any response to it from experience.

Who has had the Level 10 PTS Hydrosystem (Or valve body) job performed on their SVX? What is your experience with it? I am interested in knowing since I plan on doing this sooner than later.

I know there are other options but it would be nice to see if someone has taken this route already. I had it done with my Outback Sport and I love it.

This is what I am thinking it will do-->

1) It will shorten the shift time between shifts by allowing the clutch packs to engage quickly rather than slipping to engage. I believe this will eliminate or dramatically shorten the 'power-loss' phenomena that a lot of us have been talking about. I don't think you need to go inside the TCU in order to do this. The only reason why I say this is because my Outback Sport shifted similarly before having the hydrosystem done,

2) It will dramatically shorten or eliminate the lean air/fuel ratio condition between shifts. I believe the TCU is telling the ECU (I am going to shift) and the ECU cuts fuel to the engine. If the TCU says (I am going to.....) then Boom, the transmission is in the next gear, the ECU will have little to no time to cut fuel to the engine.

3) Forgot to add this (Adding on 10/22/07). The hp & torque in between shifts should jump up an additional between 50-70hp & lb-ft of torque. Should feel like someone turned on nitrous in between shifts for a split second. That would be cool! That would be a big difference than losing hp and torque like we currently do.

Yes, this is my simple, no data or experience self talking but it is what I believe. I have been reading a lot on this but it still does not seem to be resolved. I believe Chike has already done something to 'firm' up the shifts between gears on my SVX but I am not seeing this on the dyno (at least not what I was expecting from a firm shift).

I am going to apologize to those this may have offended since a lot of work has gone into making firmer shifts from people here. I just wanted to voice my opinion on this even though I have less experience in the ins and outs of our tranny shift behavior.

Thoughts!?!

Also....could this be moved to the 'Mods' section? It is not necessarily a technical question like a how install or how to fix/repair an item. It's a modification to the valve body system to increase performance.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-24-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM

question??? dosent adding a aftermarket trans cooler etc cool the box so as not to operate the overdrive system properly why i ask is i stuk a rebuilt with a alloy top radiator in my car few weeks ago, straight after this i started having problems wth going into overdrive on long trips and as i only drive long trips this was proving a costly extra to my mileage!! i took to the shop and they said that it was being affected by me removing the cover under the car (i didnt put it back on after taking it off to replace radiator ,thought id leave off so as could check for leaks etc)they said it was causing extra cooling to my box !! well anyway i put it straight back on and have had no more overdrive problems ..
so am i right 2 believe if i put a cooler in il have the same overdrive issues??
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxual View Post
question??? dosent adding a aftermarket trans cooler etc cool the box so as not to operate the overdrive system properly why i ask is i stuk a rebuilt with a alloy top radiator in my car few weeks ago, straight after this i started having problems wth going into overdrive on long trips and as i only drive long trips this was proving a costly extra to my mileage!! i took to the shop and they said that it was being affected by me removing the cover under the car (i didnt put it back on after taking it off to replace radiator ,thought id leave off so as could check for leaks etc)they said it was causing extra cooling to my box !! well anyway i put it straight back on and have had no more overdrive problems ..
so am i right 2 believe if i put a cooler in il have the same overdrive issues??
Yeah, I think the TCU will only engage the TC Lockup over 100*f. A coller that is not apart of the radiator and a cold winter day will make it impossibal to keep it over 100*f.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
No one?

Wow! I know there was big talk years ago on this forum about using a Level 10 transmission. I know some people have the transmission upgrade itself but no-one has gotten a PTS Hydrosystem (Valve body) upgrade?

Interesting!!

I know it is expensive no doubt but not as expensive as a new transmission. And it performs great. Oh well...hopefully someone can get this done.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-24-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

No one?

***Deleted*** I don't know how this posted twice.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-24-2007 at 02:57 PM.