How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-01-2003, 11:15 AM
96svxer

New Trannie Binding Questions (Help!)

All right. I know this is a fairly common problem. When I make tight turns with my 92 svx the rear binds. I have researched this topic for weeks and have trouble shot, and this is what I have tried:

I bypassed both the campaign filter and radiator with a tube to verify if there was a clog. Car kept binding with everything bypassed.

I put the car into FWD mode. Car stops binding

I have four matching tires/sizes/wear

I get no "check engine" lights, I even ran the TCU test just in case I missed something but the power light just flashes every 1/4 second. If the solenoid goes bad electrically it should throw a code right? If the solenoid goes bad mechanically, using the FWD fuse should not have worked right because the solenoid should be "stuck"? So it cant be the solenoid???? What else could it be? Sticking tranfer plates????

I'M LOST!!!!!!!!

Now if the cars stops binding with the FWD fuse in place, that means the duty solenoid "C" is working? Isn't that the main purpose of the fuse? The fuse forces the solenoid to open thus allowing fluid to flow past, build up pressure, forcing the transfer plates together thus transfering power to the rear wheels? Is this correct?

This is my first car with AWD/automatic so both are foreign to me. Otherwise I'm pretty good with cars.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:42 AM
Green1995SVX

Go get a bottle of Limited Slip Differential Additive and dump it in your transmission. This has had a 100% success rate of solving binding problems at Kerven. Since we've started doing this we havent had to replace a single transmission because of binding.

Mike
Old 10-01-2003, 11:48 AM
96svxer

Slip Additive huh? Sounds like a good back up plan, but would really like to find the problem part and rip it out. What kind do you use or recommend? The Brad Penn limited-slip additive concentrate brand? Is 4 oz the right amount?

Any other ideas? Oh yeah the tranny fluid is the right level, and a real clean redish/pink.

Last edited by 96svxer; 10-01-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
My first binding problem was caused by mismatched tranny/rear end. Make sure someone hasn't replaced your tranny with a tranny from a Legacy. This, however is more than likely, not your problem.

Transfer clutches is the most common problem when binding occurs. Check your rear diff grease, and make sure it's full (though, I'll guess you've already checked this).

If yours is a recent installation, try making some (6-8) tight figure 8s. Sometimes the trans and rear diff need to "get to know each other better" after a fresh install.

You're right about the codes. You'll only get codes if an electrical component begins to go. Failing mechanical components do not show up in the self diagnosis feature. So, I'd suspect transfer clutch.

Try the LSD additive (oooo, flashback). Even if it doesn't "fix" the problem, it'll at least buy you some time to save the money for repairs.

Best o' luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-01-2003, 12:14 PM
96svxer

The trannsmission is original 80,000 miles so it's probably not a mismatched tranny.

Havent actually opened up the fill hole on the Differential. Just inpsected it for leaks. None found. Maybe I will try that tonight, it's an idea, but a long shot.

Transfer clutch? Is that the same as transfer plates? Or am I missing something? Again not to versed in AWD systems.

Aredubjay did you used LSD additive? If so did it work, and downfalls, what types? Thanks for all the help so far guys. It's appreciated. Any body else have any ideas?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
96svxer

Changed both the front and rear differental fluids to synthetic fluids. Helped alittle but the binding is still there. Am I supposed to put differential additive right into the tranny?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Kerven Subaru

yes. put the addetive in the tranny, not the diffs. we use the brad penn variety.

Mike
Old 10-02-2003, 12:15 PM
96svxer

Thanks for all the help...now if I can only find a place that sells the Brad Penn additive. It seems to be very elusive around these parts.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Havn't used an LSD additive. Used "shudder fix" prior to finding out my tranny was mismatched.

I'm experiencing some binding now in "The Evil Twin" but, think it may be attributed to the Power Steering. I've got a leak in the return hose, but havn't had time to fix it. I just keep pouring in the ATF to keep it from going dry. Just don't have any time for nothin' no more.

Quote:
Originally posted by 96svxer
The trannsmission is original 80,000 miles so it's probably not a mismatched tranny.

Havent actually opened up the fill hole on the Differential. Just inpsected it for leaks. None found. Maybe I will try that tonight, it's an idea, but a long shot.

Transfer clutch? Is that the same as transfer plates? Or am I missing something? Again not to versed in AWD systems.

Aredubjay did you used LSD additive? If so did it work, and downfalls, what types? Thanks for all the help so far guys. It's appreciated. Any body else have any ideas?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-06-2003, 03:23 PM
jpsull

I just went through this same type deal. Replaced the tranns, replaced the TCU, had the tranny replaced under warranty. It was a bad u-joint in the rear drive line in the end. Hard to see so it's hard to inspect. Putting the fuse in puts 12v to the transfer clutch so it makes you think that the transfer clutch is bad because the sypmton goes away when there is actually just a bad end on the drive line. Relatively cheap fix compared to everything else I paid for.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Havn't used an LSD additive. Used "shudder fix" prior to finding out my tranny was mismatched.

I'm experiencing some binding now in "The Evil Twin" but, think it may be attributed to the Power Steering. I've got a leak in the return hose, but havn't had time to fix it. I just keep pouring in the ATF to keep it from going dry. Just don't have any time for nothin' no more.

Update: As posted in another thread, it'snot the return hose. It's the power steering oil cooler. Rusted through. Yuk! New cooler on order.

Hope you get it worked out, 96'er.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-07-2003, 06:27 AM
96svxer

Well I hope I get it figured out too. Havent yet. Maybe I'll look at the U-joint. I HATE FRONT WELL DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:40 AM
96svxer

Well Binding issues are gone, I took Kervin Subaru's advise and added slip differential additive to my trannie, and instantly the problem was gone.

Thanks guys!

The 100% Success rate continues.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:25 PM
black-svx

Well the success rate continues on. I started getting the same problem (binding), and then put in the additive, and the problem went away.

After the problem went away I went and had the transmission and rear diff fluid drained and filled.

MIKE, i have a question though, first off why are we adding LSD fluid into the transmission and not the differential, and second, if the problem is with the differential, how does adding fluid to the tranny fix it??? I am stumped on this. thanks,

Mat
Old 02-25-2004, 12:05 AM

Rear-end binding

Mat,
The 'binding' is not in the rear-end. It is actually in the 'transfer clutch/plates'. They are in the back section of the transmission. This is where the process turns from 'front-wheel' drive to 'all-wheel' drive. This area is 'lubed' by ATF. Thus, the additive goes into the trans. NOT the rear-end. Just don't overfill the tranny!!
I put a used trans in my '92 about 20,000 miles ago and had horrible binding. Added additive AND did the "figure 8's"! Wa-la!
Too bad the rest of the tranny didn't last.
Good luck!
mile-hi-bri