How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-20-2003, 09:38 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Checking in.

Kermit's been ill for awhile and I've been less than enthusiastic about keeping up with the SVX family as a result. It's getting chilly out, I'll be riding the Suzuki less, Kermit's scheduled to be repaired this Thursday, I'm getting excited about driving it more often - so, "Hi there. I'm Steve".

As some know, the company I've worked at for nearly 28 years recently announced that they'll be closing the plant. The big, "Welcome to Limbo". It didn't exactly take me by surprise, as I've been looking around for several years anyway, but even though I'd been on one list for over two years - no calls. So three weeks after the announcement - they called. Some friends are calling it 'Divine intervention'. I'm calling it 'Just in time'.

I've been to orientation and will start six weeks of para-military training beginning October 6th (the day after our wedding anniversary). I'm really looking forward to being a BAD-@$$ correctional officer. I think I'll have the mostest funnest and happiest timest of all and stuff.

Oh, and a word of advice: Try not to go to prison. Man, it's really nasty in there.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Steve,
I hadn't heard about your "limbo-dom." Glad to hear that your other opportunity came through.

I'm still waiting for the devine to intervene in my situation. May have some action on the new career soon.

Let's do lunch before you disappear into the world behind bars.

The good news is, you can come to meets where Jean Addington (svxphile's wife) is in attendance and trade war stories.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-21-2003, 12:01 AM

Registered SVX
Steve, you come across as a nice guy and I wish you the very best of fortune in your new career. Wish I could join you and Randy for lunch.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-21-2003, 01:27 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Hi Steve - welcome to the site! I mean, I am glad to hear from you again. Good to hear that you have work now. Good luck with the new career.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Hey Steve... good to see you still around old chum. And Dub...

I guess I'll try to give a little hope to those around here who might be in that situation, including you Dub...

It seems just about everyone I know has gone through a life-change-event... job loss... divorce... marriage... 2003 has been a pretty wild year for everyone I know. Myself included.

As many know, I lost my job a few months back. It hurt worse than the last time I was laid off (in 1995) because the company was one I founded. In fact, I predated all the current staff including the owner (the company was bought out in 2001). It wasn't a surprise, the changes in the company weren't making me happy, I was starting to really hate the job and I didn't like the direction the company was taking. Then when the owner failed to get a loan from the bank he was counting on I was suddenly a well-paid expense to the company he no longer felt like supporting. Seems that years of faithful service don't mean crap any more.

I was out of work for a couple of weeks, doing a lot of stuff. I searched the internet and pounded the pavement looking for a job. I think the latter is what made the difference; everyone looks on the internet for jobs any more, very few people actively go into companies asking if they're hiring.

After performing the dog-and-pony show for about three weeks and seriously considering starting my own business (which in retrospect I realized would have financially killed me), I finally got a lead from pavement-pounding that hadn't appeared on the web yet. It was a good lead and I got an interview with the department manager. We had a great rapport, and rapidly hit it off... partly because he used to work for another company I once consulted for and we had met several times before. The interview went really well, then I left. This was on a Thursday afternoon.

Friday evening I was out for drinks with a couple of friends. I was networking, making some good contacts for my own business when my cellphone rang. It was the guy from CitiMortgage (the company I had interviewed with on Thursday). He started talking about his vision for the position, and eventually said "I'll be honest with you, I've had some better-qualified candidates come in the door who exactly match the job description I wrote up. However, I know you, I know your work and I know that even if you don't know how to do a job I request of you, you'll find out how. Officially there's one more guy I need to interview, but he's been having trouble fitting me into his schedule, and I want you. If you think you can do the job, then it's yours."

Well, taken aback standing outside of the bar I said the only thing I could; "I won't let you down." I could almost hear the smile over the phone as he said to me, "I'll see you 8am on Monday. Have a great weekend."

The moral of the story? Networking is the key. I'm about to go into my 8th week on this job, and it's great. I work with a fantastic group of people who make a great team... the work is challenging in a fun way... and the management is already talking long-term projects with me that lead me to the conclusion that they intend to keep me. Oh, and the fact that the office is 6 miles from my house doesn't hurt either

Another thing to learn from this is that job loss is rarely a truly bad thing. In many cases it can be an opportunity to move on from a position in which you're stagnating. If you're willing to truly put in the effort to find another job, you'll get one. However, don't limit yourself to Internet searches... therein lies madness and months of being out of work. A friend of mine who was laid off just before me is STILL looking for work, but he limits himself to the Internet and refuses to believe that there are jobs out there that companies aren't posting to monster.com

To all: Keep your chin up. We've all been there... or we'll be there again... sometimes a change is just what you need to revitalize the rest of your life.

Now... all I need is another SVX and I'll be complete...

Gavin

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
PS; Dub and Steve... if you guys get together for lunch sometime in the "local area" (like within 100 miles or so), let me know and you'll have a third person to join you

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: