How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Larry - That's very interesting because the tire salesman I spoke to indicated that the tire has only been on the market a few months. I had also looked at that tire for my Passat until he told me that. Also, when I contacted several Conti dealers near me, none of them even had the tire yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
IBNR, I read all the TireRack reviews of the Conti EC tires and counted only the ones that had specific snow experience from norther climes.
There was also someone here that had good experience with them in the snow.
I had snow expeience with the Yoko AVSdB's in snow last winter. I did not like them. It's true that they were half worn down but I think they were very poor.
My old Toyo Proxy T-1S tires were real hich performance summer tires and they did alot better in 6" of snow that the AVS dBs on my '92 or the newer Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires on my '97. This is based on the same driver (me) and driving style for all 3 brands of tires.
So I'll put my money on the Contis and see what they're like.

I'm really beginning to think that there is a wide variance in manufacturing tolerances on these low volume tires.
Remember that the quality problems in the one Firestone plant were much worse than those in their other plants.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Wow. What size HTR+ tires are you running? I've got a set of 225/45-17s on my 17" rims and they are deafeningly loud on anything but perfect asphalt. Wheel alignment is perfect, and tire pressures are between 35-39 psi.
I am running 225/50/16's. Reviews I read on them all agree that it is quiet too. Perhaps your lower sidewalls make it noisier but mine sure are quiet.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Larry - It looks like the Contis are in very short supply - I can't find a set in our size anywhere. As you said, Tire Rack has them on back order. And I did go back and saw what you did - several people raved about them in the snow in the early spring snows we had. Too bad they don't seem to be available.