IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-20-2003, 08:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Tranny install photos posted

They're in my locker:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Mr.%20Pockets|9039

Sorry, I don't really have the time right this second to type captions for all of them or post explanations. I'll get to it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX
Just to clear up a couple of things:

1. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ckets/9053.jpg

This is a photo of two boxes that I pulled off the trannies. The one on the right, with the wire, is from my old transmission. The one on the left, which had a separate harness, was off the new tranny. If you buy a used transmission from somebody, make sure you get that harness.

This box bolts to the side of the tranny and tells the car what position you have the gear selector in.

2. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ckets/9052.jpg

This is my broken transmission mount. It's in the vise because I tried to glue it together with epoxy.

That didn't work - it pulled apart easily. The other side was cracking, anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 05-20-2003, 11:01 AM

Deja Vu, all over again.

you used the same atv/motorcycle jack I did to do mine (I got mine at Sam's Club). I had to use wood shims too.

And just after getting it all back together, I had to replace the position switch. Luckily I had an extra as I was really replacing the diff that died (bought a whole used transaxle), but went for a tranny rebuild since it was out.

If that's your face under the car I even have the gray whiskers to match.

Fun job huh? I think that makes about 4 of us that have done the tranny thing on the floor of our garage using jackstands.

I wish you the best of luck. mine's been functioning pretty well for about 13K miles now. I did switch over to Mobil 1 from Dexron II after a few of those miles.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:54 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Deja Vu, all over again.

you used the same atv/motorcycle jack I did to do mine (I got mine at Sam's Club). I had to use wood shims too.

And just after getting it all back together, I had to replace the position switch. Luckily I had an extra as I was really replacing the diff that died (bought a whole used transaxle), but went for a tranny rebuild since it was out.

If that's your face under the car I even have the gray whiskers to match.

Fun job huh? I think that makes about 4 of us that have done the tranny thing on the floor of our garage using jackstands.

I wish you the best of luck. mine's been functioning pretty well for about 13K miles now. I did switch over to Mobil 1 from Dexron II after a few of those miles.
Heh, thanks. It did run perfectly for about a week, then started vibrating a little when it's cold and I put it in reverse. I'm hesitant to drive it any more until I figure that out.

No, that's not me. That's my father-in-law. I do have a little grey hair, but just in one little patch on the side of my head that I've had since I was about 18.

Yeah, I bought my ATV jack at Sam's Club, too. Heh, what a coincidence. What a great help it was, huh? Of course, we used a little rope to secure the back end of the tranny since it was so front-heavy after we filled the TC with ATF.

We did enjoy the job, but I hope we don't have to do it again any time soon. After giving me so much of his time, I should really help my father-in-law with his car now. Both of the Ghias in the photos need some work - particularly the one on sawhorses.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE