Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Correct. You don't want to drive past a cop with your brake lights on. It's like saying "Hey look at me, I'm speeding."

I'd take Lwin's advice and also BE AWARE OF THINS AROUND YOU!
If you're aware enough to speed, you shouldn't get caught. If you're not, you shouldn't be speeding. It's dangerous to drive fast with your head up your ass.

Probably good advice to take from a guy who’s never gotten a speeding ticket, yet who probably hits at least 85 on the highway everyday.
Thats about the best way to say it that I'v ever heard. The morning before leaving for Reading I was coming back from droping of my kid at daycare, running about 85mph when some guy in an F150 pulls out of line and pulls up behind my. We travel for awile going between 85-90mph and I come up behind some guy doing 65 in the passing lane with no traffic anyware around him. Anyway I can be a little stubborn so instead of just going around him in the travel lane, I ride suggestivly close behind him but the guy in the F150 saw his chance to get around me and went for the right hand pass. As he pulled on down the highway the car in front of me finally moves over and I start to get back up speed when about a mile and a half down the road I can make out a cruiser hiding behind a bush and back off the gas a little. The whole time i'm watching the guy in the F150 continue to speed toward the cop, the idiot must have flew by him doing 90, I don't think he ever saw the cop sitting there. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I passed the both of them on the side of the road and accelerated back up to 85. he he he.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:00 AM
eugenefeng

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
In my accord, I had the radar detector mounted right under the driver's side visor, behind the tint ont he top of the windshield, the wire tucked behind the windshield and side piece, with the power connected to the fuse box. Totally invisible from the outside.
I got one using battery. Works great.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Smile My two cents

My last radar detector was a remote mount and was impossible to detect. I loved it. The best way I have found to avoid tickets is to simply keep an eye out for "brake checks" by drivers in front of me. It is human nature for most people to tap the brakes when they see a cop (especially hiding) along the side of the road whether they are speeding or not. I constantly scan far ahead and look for this tell tale signal that an officer is lurking. It is extremely reliable and has never failed me or others I know who use it.

When moving between packs I constantly scan the horizon for hiding places and likely locations for speed traps. I also keep one eye on my rearview mirror at almost all times. No one speeds more than a cop and it is real easy for them to appear from out of thin air behind you. I get very irratated with drivers who act as if their rearview mirror does not exist. They are totaly oblivious to the world around them and make me very nervous to be behind.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sorry to hear that, Deja. What was the speed?

I noticed that your signature indicating your warning count had changed however I don't think that was the reason was it?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Also sorry to hear you got a ticket. However, $65 really isn't bad... the insure hike is what'll kill ya'. My tickets are always $87 and I've been pulled over around 10+ times... most with tickets. The fee for me taking them to court bumps the cost up to $100, but has been worth it (2-3 times) in order to keep them off my record and keeping the insurance down... although I still have three on my record.

Paranoia helps quite a bit. I always get really paranoid after a ticket, but not for long enough (easy to tell from my record). They usually happen only when I'm not paying attention... like tired or bored or something. Now, I will get dropped from my insurance with another ticket, and that paranoia has kept me from getting pulled over in over a year! I think you can speed a little most the time and a lot on occasion as long as you are scared as h*ll of getting busted... so that you are very aware of what's around you in all directions all the time. Heck, I raced a guy for two miles last night up to 110 mph (speed limiter in Aurora). Knowing the road and constant scanning are very helpful.

I agree with the others that a jammer isn't a good idea. A radar detector can be helpful... only not really when you are REALLY speeding. Mine has saved my *ss a few times. Well, sorry again about the ticket. Try taking it to court and requesting a "continuance for dismissal" if you can. Good luck.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 04-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I've gotten about 8-9 tickets.

:P

- Rob
Old 04-24-2003, 09:32 PM
_-DejaVu-_

Holly crap, my post is still on the first page!
Sorry I havn't written any replys, I've been very busy, with no computer.
It was driving 47 in a 30. Sure, $65 isn't bad, but I can't pay for it! (Honestly, I didn't know I was speeding)
They took 4 points as well.
Great, I'm going to have fun with my insurance, now that I just got it lowered for turning 21. I can never win I suppose.

I'm trying very hard not to speed. It's actually harder than I thought it would be.
When I was coming home tonight, a cop was following me for about 50 miles. I KNOW he was waiting for me to screw up. I can't afford another ticket, so I went 10 under the speed limit.

~Deja~
Old 04-24-2003, 10:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally posted by _-DejaVu-_
Holly crap, my post is still on the first page!
Sorry I havn't written any replys, I've been very busy, with no computer.
It was driving 47 in a 30. Sure, $65 isn't bad, but I can't pay for it! (Honestly, I didn't know I was speeding)
They took 4 points as well.
Great, I'm going to have fun with my insurance, now that I just got it lowered for turning 21. I can never win I suppose.

I'm trying very hard not to speed. It's actually harder than I thought it would be.
When I was coming home tonight, a cop was following me for about 50 miles. I KNOW he was waiting for me to screw up. I can't afford another ticket, so I went 10 under the speed limit.

~Deja~

Yeah, it always sucks to have to pay it... I still say go to court to try and keep it off your record and insurance... better in the long run. I hate it when they try to make you speed, ride your *ss and stuff. It is the worst when you just don't realize you're speeding. My last one was 84 in a 55. 1 mph more and I think it would have caused me to be in deep crap and cost me my insurance... and I was slowing down after just realizing I was REALLY clipping along. All I can say is try real hard not to speed, tickets suck. Hey at least you were were doing 47 in a 30... not 35 in a 30, I can tell you that that one will piss 'ya off.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
2 words..."Cruise Control"
Old 04-24-2003, 10:23 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8

not 35 in a 30, I can tell you that that one will piss 'ya off.
If the cop is riding your ass, slow down enough for him to pass you. If needed, pull off the road and pull into a shop.

If a cop is going to give me a ticket for going 35 on 30, hehehehe... he is going to have an entertaing day infront of the judge that he wishes I never existed (legally).

In IL, we don't have points, we just have 3 tickets in a year and you are out rule.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:49 PM
JLittell

Deja, I think you drive too fast. We were amazed to see how heavy your foot was at the last meet!!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:11 AM
_-DejaVu-_

The reason I was worried last night, was he actually pulled over so I would pass him!.
I did have the cruise on too.
I have a feeling I'm going to have a messed up year now lol
But I'll be ok

Deja
Old 04-25-2003, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

If the cop is riding your ass, slow down enough for him to pass you. If needed, pull off the road and pull into a shop.

If a cop is going to give me a ticket for going 35 on 30, hehehehe... he is going to have an entertaing day infront of the judge that he wishes I never existed (legally).

In IL, we don't have points, we just have 3 tickets in a year and you are out rule.

L
I tried slowing down... 5-10 under the speed limit. He would have probably pulled me over if I maintained that slow of a speed... even though it is technically legal. There was no place to pull off either... after about a mile or two of me not "punching it" he got really pissed and floored it around me, getting really close behind before moving over and nearly clipping my front bumper when cutting back in. I had allready been to court 2-3 times and a courthouse worker (my friend's mom) said I would be worse off for taking this 35 in a 30 to court. It was technically still illegal.

Don't even get me started on the off duty sheriff's department officer who was talking on his cell phone and cut me off and slammed on his brakes forcing me to rear end him... all on purpose!

I'm confused about the points in Minnesota. I always heard we didn't have them, yet my insurance company counts them up and keeps track.

Old 04-25-2003, 01:10 PM
calmone

always go to court and never excuse the cop. he or she may not show. as for the money and the number of tickets, i've lost count. been to traffic school twice to see the dead bodies though and just filed to expunge my record for the third time.

i always was s l o w learner.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
Deja, I think you drive too fast. We were amazed to see how heavy your foot was at the last meet!!
I was amazed to see how heavy everybody's foot was at the meet. My speedometer went up to 95 following everyone.