How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2003, 10:23 AM
fongangus

Power Steering Help. (NOT O-ring, Pump)

My power steering light is on and the power steering is not functioning. The O-ring is replaced. And I also don't think it's the pump problem since I never hear any noise from the pump as turn. My mechanic said it's because the seal at the pressure hose. But I suspect that the seal will not lead the PS light on. Can anyone help? Thanks.

PS: Actually, the PS works well few months ago. But later, the PS will have 50% will work (If light on after car start, it won't. And vice versa) Until now, it's totally not functioning.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Have you checked the trouble codes for the power steering yet? That's where i would start. I also doubt your power steering pump completely failed without any warning. It's a pretty fancy vane pump deal. Just rebuilt mine a week ago but that was because the bearing was going and making a lil noise. My car, however, uses the speed contolled system while yours should use rpm controlled; so i'm no expert on your set up.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:53 PM
fongangus

I have a 92 LSL AWD. Isn't that I also have the speed sensor type steering? Also, how can I check the trouble code for the PS? THANKS.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by fongangus
I have a 92 LSL AWD. Isn't that I also have the speed sensor type steering? Also, how can I check the trouble code for the PS? THANKS.
My bad,

You're correct you do have the electronic speed controlled steering. I haven't seen anyone else post anything on this so i went ahead and made an acrobat pdf document of the pages on the power steering codes. It's 3 pages and will tell you what pins on what connector to connect to what to get into the right mode to display the codes as flashes of the steering light. The connector is in the drivers kick panel same place as for the ecu. I put the pdf up on my webserver here: how to read power steering trouble codes

If you don't have adobe acrobat reader you can get that here: get adobe acrobat
Old 04-14-2003, 09:38 PM
fongangus

Few questions as reading the pdf.
1. It said connect 1 of 2 DIAG terminals to connector, is it either one?
2. Where is F/B and M/B? About the fuses box location.
Thanks.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Just some dude.

yes either one,

for read mode you hook one up to i think pin 5
for d mode you hooke one up to i think pin 6
to clearh memory you hook both up..one to 5 one to 6

...this is just from the top of my head. I think i remember the #'s right but go by the book if what i say doesn't match.

the connectors are in the interior, behind the kick panel, which is just in front of the drivers door
Old 04-16-2003, 04:21 PM
fongangus

I check the code. And the trouble code is #2(2 flashes), Open in solenoid system circuit. What is that? What does it imply? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by fongangus
I check the code. And the trouble code is #2(2 flashes), Open in solenoid system circuit. What is that? What does it imply? Thanks.
If you haven't unplugged the electical plug to the solenoid on your rack then it's bad. The solenoid comes as part of the valve assembly which I'm sorry to say is big bucks. Not sure if you can replace it on the car or not.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:52 PM
fongangus

Would that be because the electric wire problem or dirt on the solenoid? 'cause my PS will work when the weather is cold. BTW, where is the solenoid?
Old 04-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Just some dude.

it would either be a broken wire or bad connection if it's not just a bad solenoid. It's around where the linkage from the steering column goes into the rack.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:17 PM
fongangus

Thanks for your help and I will consult my mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too bad.