Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Stereo replacement project

I finally started my stereo replacement project. Swapped out the speakers for a set of Alpine speakers. 6.5s in the front and 6x9s in rear. The alpines came with a spacer ring that almost matched the original mounting bracket in height. worked perfect. Was going to use original brackets, but the speakers were a hair too wide. All hooked up sounds much better. Next is a head unit. Probably wait a week or two while I figure out if I am going to add an amp for all the speakers or just a sub woofer.

The FAQ docs were very helpful. Thanks!

I am wondering what to do with the oem tweeters. The Alpines are two way speakers. The oem tweets are probably wired into the door speakers somehow. If I unhook the tweeter, I would probably need to splice the wires together or the circuit would be broken right? Anyone dealt with this before?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Re: Stereo replacement project

What Alpines did you use ? - handy to know as you mentioned the spacers matched the original ones.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
What Alpines did you use ? - handy to know as you mentioned the spacers matched the original ones.
The door speakers are Alpine SPS-610. Funny in that some sites specifically state that they don't fit the SVX. The rear 6x9s are Alpine SPE-6090. Really nice bass out of those.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

As far as I can remember, the tweeters split at the head unit, not at the speakers. My right tweeter (my car didn't come with tweeters, just the empty spot) had a cord running up to it, but the left one didn't. I was able to splice the two wires at the head unit for the left speaker and run them to the tweeter. My speakers worked just fine with no tweeters being plugged in. I don't think it will break the circuit. You should get a nice set of tweeters though. They REALLY improve the overall sound of the stereo.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX

The set up that I am currently running is;

Head unit - Sony XAV64BT - http://www.onlinecaraudio.co.nz/SONY_XAV64BT - this is a double-din touch screen unit with all the bells and whistles that fits in the original factory cage and the door still works. The one down side with this unit is that it does not control the aerial so an extra switch is required if you want to listen to the radio.

Doors and tweets - Focal 165 A1 SG component speakers - http://www.focal-america.com/category/speakers/ - extremely crisp and clear full range and fit into the stock positions with no problems.

Rear Speakers - Digital Design DD-CXS 6x9 - http://www.ddaudio.co.nz/cxs6x9.html - these fit into the shelf under the original covers with no problems or modification and have an extremely strong bottom end.

This combination of "European" sound in the front and "American" sound from the rear has produced an extremely full and rich soundscape in the SVX (loud too), the next step is to add a sub and I will probably go with an 8 to 10" Digital Design unit as they produce an amazing amount of 'punch' for their size.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX

As mentioned the tweeters are not needed for sound in the door speakers.
I will say this if your tweeters are bad they may be making the rest of the speakers sound like crap.
I replaced all my speakers, bought door component set that had separate tweeters. Turned out that the previous owner had replaced the doors and rear deck speakers with decent speakers but left the factory tweeters I had thought I had multiple blown speakers but it turned out the tweeters had separated cones but the rest were good.
The component tweeters I used I needed to separate the old tweeter from the (push in mount) it was in and the new tweeter dropped right in and works.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Not sure who but someone else may remember. A member here was selling a really nice double din pioneer lcd head unit. I was thinking of grabbing it myself.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Registered SVX

you people and your fancy head units :P im just eyeing a stock wrx double din.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX

If I could do it all over again, I would just install a touchscreen android tablet.. I don't listen to radio anymore anyways, its mp3's or Pandora now.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

So. It sounds pretty good, but I want more. So probably going to amp it up. Might unhook the stock tweets to see how it sounds. It is a bit bright sounding, Really hear the symbols zing. Looking at some 5-channel amps on line, d class. Any suggestions?