How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 AM

cold weather brake problem?

My problem is this i live in minnesota and i noticed when the weather drops below 0 or negive -10. I cold start my car it is like really hard to press in the break pedal. i have to use all my weight to get my car to stop. the best way to decribe this is it is like not having power steering but in the break pedal this is really dangerous because my car wants to go forward when i put it in drive.
But once my car warms up the problem goes away. also in cold weather my window tend to frost alot on the inside witch is annoying as well. runs fine in the summer!
resently changed radator fluid put redline antifreeze stuff in it.. changed the power stering fluid to amsoil sythetitic transmission fluid.
The troubleshooting would be either
1. break fluid freezing
2. break booster ? explan what a brake booster is please?
3. lines (my brake fluid is not leaking because level has not changed).
?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 AM

Registered SVX
Re: cold weather brake problem?

A brake booster is what gives the power brakes power. In the old days there was a HUGE vacuum bell mounted on it hooked to the motor. Slight pressure on the pedal opened the valve and the Vacuum pulled on the master cylinder .
I believe you problem is thickening of the brake fluid or moisture on the caliper. Possibly using a better grease on the caliper slides might help too. IMHO of course
Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 AM

Registered SVX

This is strange issue, we have had the same problem with the (2007) Forester and the (2008) WRX. It starts usually when it goes below -18C....

Both cured by replacing the one way valve in the booster vacuum tube. The Subaru one is a sort of a "plug" pushed inside the tube..... I have just cut the tube, taken the "plug" out and replaced that with an inline valve from an auto parts store. Both cars have been problem free since. There's nothing obvious that's wrong with the original valves, though....

A few other people have reported the same thing on the Subaru forum over here.....

My (2006) Outback is ok, though the set up is identical. Haven't driven the SVX in cold weather (yet).

FOr the steamy windows - do not use recirc at all and you should be fine. Or maybe you have water on the floor?

Br,

Tapani
Finland
Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Registered SVX

subaru has technical service bulletins about this specific problem. they claim it's a bad master that allows water to enter the fluid in humid climates and freeze when very cold. have replaced a few masters for this problem and never had any come backs. they don't cover the older models but the symptom sounds the same.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
This is strange issue, we have had the same problem with the (2007) Forester and the (2008) WRX. It starts usually when it goes below -18C....

Both cured by replacing the one way valve in the booster vacuum tube. The Subaru one is a sort of a "plug" pushed inside the tube..... I have just cut the tube, taken the "plug" out and replaced that with an inline valve from an auto parts store. Both cars have been problem free since. There's nothing obvious that's wrong with the original valves, though....

A few other people have reported the same thing on the Subaru forum over here.....

My (2006) Outback is ok, though the set up is identical. Haven't driven the SVX in cold weather (yet).

FOr the steamy windows - do not use recirc at all and you should be fine. Or maybe you have water on the floor?

Br,

Tapani
Finland
Do you have a picture of where this valve is and do you have a part number for the replacement?

Hopefully the valve is the problem and not the master cylinder.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 AM

Registered SVX

Sorry, no picture at hand...., but the valve is inside the rubber hose, which runs from the intake manifold to the brake booster. There's on spot where the hose feels a bit thicker - the valve is right there.

The replacements I used are just generic one way valves from an auto parts store. Nipple diameter 10mm, if I recall correctly. Most other cars have this valve attached to the booster itself - like a connector to which the hose is attached.

5 minute job to replace.

Please reply your experiences, this is a rather interesting problem ..... :-)

Tapani