How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-30-2002, 09:52 PM
private_idaho

sacrilege! A BMW instead of an SVX?!

Ok, I signed up for this site when I was car shopping. I was looking for a replacement for my truck that wasn't, well, a truck. I wanted AWD or 4WD, but in an interesting car. The SVX was an obvious choice, and a local dealer happened to have a '92 in silver at a good price. Closer inspection, however, revealed a number of "issues" that explained the good price.

The search went on (and on, and on...) - but to make a long story short, I am headed to Portland on Thursday to buy, no, not an SVX, but a 1988 BMW 325iX. That's right, an AWD BMW. Not as many horses as the SVX, not quite as unique in shape - but definitely a driver's car, and AWD, for about the same price as the SVX's I was looking at.

So, for better or worse, I am signing up and joining at the iX Registry (http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/iX/), and won't have too much to contribute here. But maybe I'll come to complain about the repair expenses if (when) the occur. It'll make you all feel better about your disposable transmissions (did I mention this iX has a 5 speed manual, and it came standard?)
Old 09-30-2002, 10:44 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
You do know that a 3 series BMW is not a true BMW right? It's a wanna be BMW. 5, 7 and 8s we are talking about cars...

-- L

ps. what's wrong with the SILVER and can you pm me on the price on that as well. I am in a hunt for a black or a Silver second SVX.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-30-2002, 11:15 PM
private_idaho

Well, I like coupes, so that puts the 5's and 7's out of the picture. I also like to ski, which means AWD (yeah, yeah, some people claim that a set of snow tires do wonders, even on a rear wheel drive - but I am not that gutsy thank-you-very-much) - so that eliminates the 6's and the 8's.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I hate to sound like sour grapes, but you're buying what's basically an outdated 4wd european taxi. Have you wondered why they don't make them anymore? But, hey! if ya like 'em, buy 'em! It's just the relevance of your decision means little here, n'est pas?
Old 10-01-2002, 06:29 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

BMW 325XI

Good luck with your purchase. They do drive nicely. Not the best awd system but not the worst. Just hope everything works out for ya. They are VERY pricey to get fixed.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:30 AM

Thumbs up go for it

Quote:
Originally posted by private_idaho
not an SVX, but a 1988 BMW 325iX.
Go for it. I believe that everyones automotive impulses are valid. I have a an SVX in my garage just now, and it's a keeper. But I have this list of other cars I still hope to be able to own at some time or another. Until I win a lottery and can finally start my Jay Leno collection, I'll just own 'em one at a time! (...so many cars, so little money....)
Old 10-01-2002, 08:53 PM
private_idaho

Quote:
I hate to sound like sour grapes, but you're buying what's basically an outdated 4wd european taxi
Uh, ok. I guess I don't get to Europe enough - I didn't realize that smallish 2 door coupes were used as taxis.

As to "outdated" - well, one man's outdated is another man's classic, and that's ok with me. Though I would point out also that the design originated in 1986, which is hardly ancient history compared to the 1992 SVX design. *shrug*

Quote:
Have you wondered why they don't make them anymore?
This from an SVX owner?

Quote:
It's just the relevance of your decision means little here, n'est pas?
Well, my thought was others might be interested in some of the alternatives in an AWD sporting coupe - but hey, I guess if you know what everyone is thinking, and speak for them all, then I stand corrected.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:23 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Articles

There's an interesting article I think you should check out by Road and Track. I went to the library and looked into the archives to find some various magazine articles about XT6's and how they performed. I posted them up and one of the XT6 guys saved them at his site.

Road and Track article

I didn't post the whole article, only what made reference to the XT6's performance BUT your BMW is in there. It shows how it performs amongst cars such as the XT6, Justy, Toyota All Trac turbo, etc, etc. It's interesting! You can at least see the results of the test but you'll miss the details of your ride. You can always check the original articles as well as others of the time printed of your BMW. Hope this helps!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 10-01-2002, 09:55 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sorry to get off topic but I liked that article for the performance specs on the Justy

"Tossible Fun" is a pretty good way of describing the Justy.