How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to seehecksdeeh
Coolant question

I recently replaced my radiator and also replaced a small hose that ran coolant through it when fixing a leak. Since then I've had an issue with my coolant reserves. When I finish driving to or from work, I will notice coolant slowly dripping from the little pan below my radiator. We've already identified that there are no specific leaks, rather my coolant is coming out of my reserves. I've brought the coolant level down to the fill line once, only to have it come right back up to the top again without going down. Has anyone ever encountered this issue or have advice? I'd appreciate anything.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:08 AM

Re: Coolant question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seehecksdeeh View Post
I recently replaced my radiator and also replaced a small hose that ran coolant through it when fixing a leak. Since then I've had an issue with my coolant reserves. When I finish driving to or from work, I will notice coolant slowly dripping from the little pan below my radiator. We've already identified that there are no specific leaks, rather my coolant is coming out of my reserves. I've brought the coolant level down to the fill line once, only to have it come right back up to the top again without going down. Has anyone ever encountered this issue or have advice? I'd appreciate anything.
Do you have to continually keep adding more to the radiator? I would be pretty sure you do since the reservoir keeps overfilling.
Could be a head gasket or maybe as simple as the radiator cap.
(keeping fingers crossed)
Keith
Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 AM

If the coolant is coming out directly from the reservoir, would that point to head gasket? I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 AM

<<I recently replaced my radiator and also replaced a small hose that ran coolant through it when fixing a leak. >>

how did you refill your cooling system? you prob have and air pocket in the system, you want to take care of this asap before you blow your headgasket. how is the temp gauge?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
If the coolant is coming out directly from the reservoir, would that point to head gasket? I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from.
Does the coolant temp gauge read normally? Coolant would likely boil out of the reservoir only if the engine were overheating.

If you're certain the coolant is coming from the overflow, it could be you simply overfilled and normal heat expansion forced out the excess. I would slowly top-off the radiator when cold, fill the reservoir to the "full cold" line, and keep a close eye on both the level in the overflow and the temp gauge for the next few days. After driving long enough to get the engine good and warm, with the engine idling, take a look to see if the reservoir is overflowing.

I'd also recheck the radiator hose connections to be sure you aren't mistaken about the source of the drip.

dcb
Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Nissan guy

When you filled the radiator and brought the coolant to the fill line on the reserve before you brought the car to running temperature, the coolant in the engine expanded pushing coolant into the reservoir over filling it and causing it to spill. Normally you wouldn't want to put coolant into the over flow until the engine has run to operating temp first. Once the engine is at full operating temp, then you add some to the reservoir if needed.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:58 PM

"""I've brought the coolant level down to the fill line once, only to have it come right back up to the top again without going down."""

If the system is working properly, even with "overfill"
when the engine gets to operating temperature, and overfills the reservoir, the cooling action, when the engine is turned off and cooling, will suck some of the coolant back into the radiator.

Chances are... there is a head gasket problem or something as simple as a radiator cap.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 PM

svxpert:
I'm not too sure what you mean by how, specifically. We drained the engine block before replacing the radiator, then just filled it up. Is there a specific method to this?

dcarrb:
My main reasons in guessing that it's coming from the reservoir are that you can see traces of where it's running down off under the lid. Also, looking down the sides by the battery down to the front, it's usually wet. My temperature gauge reads normally. The only time the temperature started climbing was when I had forgotten to add more coolant and I was idling for a bit while the radiator was "empty."

Twinboosted:
What methods are there to bringing the reservoir level down? I've siphoned the stuff out before, but I would prefer a less risky method, haha.

kwren:
If it's the radiator cap, does that mean something is wrong with it? I don't know how to differentiate those things. If it helps any, the new radiator didn't come with a cap, so I just used the OEM one that was on my old radiator. Could it be a compatibility issue? Are there symptoms as I go that could possibly point more to one situation than the other?

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Could be a possible head gasket leak. Sure someone else can chime in on that,

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-29-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Could be a possible head gasket leak. Sure someone else can chime in on that,
I already did , Guitar picker... twice
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
svxpert:

kwren:
If it's the radiator cap, does that mean something is wrong with it? I don't know how to differentiate those things. If it helps any, the new radiator didn't come with a cap, so I just used the OEM one that was on my old radiator. Could it be a compatibility issue? Maybe Are there symptoms as I go that could possibly point more to one situation than the other? A new cap isn't that expensive to try

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
The radiator cap is made to keep the coolant in the radiator. When the coolant temperature increases the coolant expands and builds up pressure. The cap is made to keep pressure in the cooling system but regulate the amount of pressure. As excessive pressure builds, the excessive pressure allows coolant to "escape" through the small hose to the coolant reservoir. When the engine is turned off, the coolant begins to cool the coolant retracts and the one way valve in the cap allows the contracting coolant to "suck" the coolant out of the reservoir and back into the radiator. A defective radiator cap could deffer this necessary action from happening.

If there is a problem with a seeping head gasket could allow the system to malfunction and not "suck" the excess coolant out of the reservoir because there would not be a negative pressure. The seeping from the defective head gasket could prevent the return of the coolant, thereby putting more coolant in the reservoir when the engine is run again and consequently overflowing the reservoir. Some of this excess coolant would end up under the battery.
This overflow was corrected on my car with a new radiator cap.
A head gasket problem is a bit more serious... $2,000.00+ if you have to have a dealer do it.

Still keeping fingers crossed...
Keith
Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to degeso

it could be coming from your water pump i hate to say or check you clamps on the lower hose sometimes little things like that get forgotten when reinstalling
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to degeso

or there is a crack in the res or on the nipple where the hose goes. if the head gaskets was leekin you would know it trust me you would get smoke like crazy the coolant would be burnin not leeking
Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by degeso View Post
or there is a crack in the res or on the nipple where the hose goes. if the head gaskets was leekin you would know it trust me you would get smoke like crazy the coolant would be burnin not leeking
not necessarily... depends on the volume and location of the leakage. Could be a very minor seepage that would not make any noticeable smoke but could prevent the coolant from being "sucked" back from the reservoir to the radiator... next time car is ran again, more coolant goes onto the reservoir... same not "sucked" back so eventually overfills... runs under the battery on the way down.

Keith
Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM

<<svxpert:
I'm not too sure what you mean by how, specifically. We drained the engine block before replacing the radiator, then just filled it up. Is there a specific method to this?>>

yes, how you fill it up sometimes determines if there is an air pocket in the system. whats the temp gauge look like when driving in different conditions?