IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
How do I program Key fob?

I just got a free key fob from Di that's labled "broken" on the back but I have high hopes. It's for my 92 and I have no idea how to program it to the car. Anybody have an idea?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: How do I program Key fob?

There is a Reprogram Key FOB document in the Security Systems folder in the How To Documents area. Here is a link:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|19764

What the heck does "FOB" stand for anyway??
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Hey thanks for the help! Link was very helpful.. But the fob isn't even transmitting a signal! I took it to Auto Zone and they tested it for me but still doesn't work. It's not the battery cause I just replaced it. Know of any place I can go to get it fixed? Or is my only shot at a Subaru dealership and running the risk of having them tell me to just purchase a new one? Oh and apparently the word fob may be linked to the low German dialect for the word Fuppe, meaning "pocket", however, the real origin of the word is unknown.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 11-09-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Broken..
Old 11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

They are like $50 or so from the dealer... You can get aftermarket ones for ~40 on ebay... I don't know much about the inner workings of the transmitters as I've never had one apart, but I'd make sure that the battery is good (Just cuz it was new doesn't mean it isn't dead) and make sure the contacts inside the transmitter are clean. If that's not it, I'm afraid your transmitter may be fried. I could look at it and possibly fix it if you mailed it to me but I can't guarantee anything.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

The one for my '92 is twitchy, I usually have to tap it really hard to make it work. Inside there are 8 watch batteries! When I clean the contacts it usually works fine for a month then goes back to being a jerk. If the one you got doesnt work try cleaning the battery contacts like Hondasucks said and maybe you will get lucky.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

8 watch batteries?!? is it a stock unit? Mine is stock and it has one big funky 12v cell, looks kind of like a N size battery but skinnier, I think it's an A23. ( it) They are eight 1.5V watch batteries in one case, but they are like $2 for two...
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Wow thanks for the help! I guess I'll try to fix it on my own. My aunt has a soldering gun and I can get different transistors for cheap. Luckily I know somebasic electronics. Enough to get by at least. But if it comes comes down to it and I need to order one from the Subaru dealership, do I have to order a newer model or the origional red button model?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Registered SVX

They still have the original red button ones.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Okay. Now I know I should have included this in my last post but forgot to. Are they "new" red button ones or are they "refurbished" or something? I know something so small shouldn't matter but I am really concerned about the security of my vehicle. My exgirlfriends boyfriend happened to be walking by my car and swiped my jacket. I normally just lock it but my drivers side door won't unlock with the key anymore..
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX

I believe they are new and not refurbished. Also someone recently wrote a pretty thorough thread on unsiezing door locks. Also if it won't work with the key, try getting a new key cut by key number at the dealership if you still have it. The key I got when I bought mine worked in the trunk and ignition but not doors. I got a new key cut by number and was able to unlock the doors and after that the old original key I got worked on the doors as well.

Just some things to try that might work.

-Nate
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I believe they are new and not refurbished. Also someone recently wrote a pretty thorough thread on unsiezing door locks. Also if it won't work with the key, try getting a new key cut by key number at the dealership if you still have it. The key I got when I bought mine worked in the trunk and ignition but not doors. I got a new key cut by number and was able to unlock the doors and after that the old original key I got worked on the doors as well.

Just some things to try that might work.

-Nate
Alright. I guess what I'll do is try to get a new one and just use this one to play with to try to understand how it works. If I get it working I imagine I can clean it up a bit and just sell it if need be or just give it back to Di. Oh and thanks about the key thing. I don't know the key code cause I got a different key that isn't the origional for the car but OT said he knew the key code so I'll just get on him about that. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX

When you program the new fob, hit the button four times, that will program that fob's code into the security module in all four slots, so no other transmitter will unlock it. See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf svx security system.pdf (841.5 KB, 110 views)
1986 VW Jetta