Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 01-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel 22

I used toluene when I worked at a printing press..used to clean the presses and such..made me higher than a kite too seriously that job was harsh..had to sign forms of knowledge of use of materials known to cause cancer...good times

I used toluene and xylene, I had a big smile on my face.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian

I used toluene and xylene, I had a big smile on my face.
a great big silly smile I recall working with others while cleaning the presses.. and every once and again one of us would stop and just start cracking up...everyone soon followed..even tho really nothing funny had been said..some couldnt get enough and would dip the cotton filters of their mask's in it...
Old 01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
SEA Sleeper

Quote:
Originally posted by Myxalplyx
.... that indicated that Toluene is just an octane booster, not an injector cleaner...
That information does support the fact that Toluene is an effective octane boost additive. However it does not rule out the fact that it also cleans the fuel injectors and combustion chamber. It only lists it's effects as an octane booster. This does not mean it is not an injector cleaner.

My reasoning lies here: Injector cleaner additives contain Xylene or Toluene (as thier main ingredient). Also the fact that people have suggested that a few tbsp of ATF be added to the mix to "soften" it up also suggest that these additives are also effective detergents. The fact that they are used to clean things in the non combustion world is also a hint. In fact, these chemicals are such good cleaners that if you were to run them in every tank, you would eventually break down your engines internal and fuel system seals.

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 01-18-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38 PM
BATMAN

I use this in my RX7 and notice huge HP increases at full boost, better MPG during crusing and my exhaust seems to stink less.

Also flames are more blue.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cleanpower/
Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 AM

Passed California Smog - failed HC at idle

I went from a hydrocarbon reading (HC) at idle of 140 (130 max) to 50. Also noticed a considerable increase in acceleration response throughout the powerband read by my trusty butt dyno.

I used a full gallon of xylene that cost $23.00 from the local paint store. I buffered it with a few jiggers of ATF fluid and Mystery Oil. Also, I swapped out the clean air filter for my Green panel filter and I drove the car like I stole it just before the test after burning off half of an 18-gallon tank to flush the engine with the new tank.

Cross posted over at USMB in Older Generation since I own a 1985 RX turbo 4WD.

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN
I use this in my RX7 and notice huge HP increases at full boost, better MPG during crusing and my exhaust seems to stink less.

Also flames are more blue.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cleanpower/
Article on Toluene and Xylene-->
http://www.foxvalleykart.com/fuel6.html

TOLUENE AND XYLENE

"We've chosen to lump Toluene and Xylene together for several reasons. If you read the previous article (NKN July 1995), you probably noticed that we poured substantial quantities of Toluene and Xylene into the base fuel samples trying to get the Digatron meter to react. The best we could do was to push it down to ?8, and that with over 50% of each additive! The reason is simple: both Toluene and Xylene are major components of normal gasoline! They're already in there in substantial quantities. Increasing the concentration does nothing but raise the octane rating of the fuel, and, if you've kept up with your reading, you already know that raising the octane, in and of itself, is of no benefit to almost all karting engines. Again, in keeping with our goal of maintaining consistency in our testing routine, we dynoed samples with 2% and 10% of each, both Toluene and Xylene. As expected the 2% graphs show only the most minor variation, with some gain in the low RPM range. This is most likely due to the increased octane rating from adding these materials helping to suppress some high load, low RPM detonation."

Conclusion: This one's a red herring. If you must pour something in your fuel to feel like you're getting some sort of special advantage, add Toluene and/or Xylene. The won't do you any good, but they won't do you any harm either, and you most likely won't get caught. One note of caution: if the tech man is using either of the water tests we outlined earlier in this series, a 10% or greater addition of Toluene or Xylene may show up.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)