Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Sold. :'-(

Finally ready to do some MAJOR maintenance...Trans/diff advice NEEDED!

(posted in Chris' shop, too)

Finally ready to do some MAJOR maintenance...Trans/diff advice NEEDED!

I have a '92 LS-L Touring AWD with known problems with the trans (won't go into reverse when warm), center diff (AWD intermittent), CV joints (clickclickclickclickclick) and unknown problems with the front diff (whines, tone rises with vehicle speed independent of engine speed - diff bearing?).

All these problems will hopefully GO AWAY soon, as I finally have some cash to take care of my baby.

1) I've heard about the alternative transmission that makes a slightly better swap than going with another SVX-spec one. What exactly do I look for, and where are good places to find them? Any idea on cost?

2) Can a trans cooler and gauge be added to that trans, and what's the easiest and/or best way to accomplish that?

3) Will the front diff problem simply be solved when I replace the trans or is it seperate? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

4) Is there anything special I should know about the center diff replacement?

Sorry for all the questions, but the shop I'm working with is used to working on Porsches and Ferraris, so I trust them, but they're not very knowledgable about this particular application (who is, really...). They apparently did the rear wheel bearings before I bought it, and they're fine, so that bodes well...

What I need is a very direct and specific step-by-step of what I need. Something like a shopping list, but for my car.

I'm going to LOVE having her back on the road, and hope to see you all at the 15th Anniversary Meet!

THANKS A MILLION!!!!
Raxles front axles
Old 02-03-2007, 08:49 PM

I don't have all the details but i have been searching this very topic for about half a year now. The trans of choice is a 96-early98 legacy2.5outback tranny and rear differential. The front diff. is part of the tranny, the rear is used to replace your stock one so that all your gearing matches up. The stock lsd from your original diff. gets swapped into the outback one. The outback uses 4.44 gearing ratio giving you a much more desired rmp range for better mpg around town and less stress on the tranny itself. I don't have all the details of instal yet. someone will chime in with that info i am sure, considering the large group that already has this setup already. svxfiles is the master of this conversion and has all the info you would need
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blue
(posted in Chris' shop, too)
I have a '92 LS-L Touring AWD with known problems with the trans (won't go into reverse when warm), center diff (AWD intermittent), CV joints (clickclickclickclickclick) and unknown problems with the front diff (whines, tone rises with vehicle speed independent of engine speed - diff bearing?).

1) I've heard about the alternative transmission that makes a slightly better swap than going with another SVX-spec one. What exactly do I look for, and where are good places to find them? Any idea on cost?
- This is a 4.44 swap as most of us call it... they can run anywhere from $1000-$1200. You sound like you want a stock replacement though instead of a performance upgrade.

2) Can a trans cooler and gauge be added to that trans, and what's the easiest and/or best way to accomplish that?
- Yes, it is a fairly simple job and will prolong the life of your trans by a lot

3) Will the front diff problem simply be solved when I replace the trans or is it seperate? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)
- The front diff is part of the transmission. I would assume the pinion bearing in yours has gone the way of the dodo and is causing the load determined noise. A new trans will fix this issue
4) Is there anything special I should know about the center diff replacement?
- This will also be taken care of with a new trans as the centre diff(tranfer clutches) are inside the trans as well.

THANKS A MILLION!!!!
I responded in the quote above for all of the technical questions... To be honest I only see you needing a couple things, which I will list below

-New or used transmission(trans/front diff/ center diff)
-New transmission cooler
-a pair of rebuilt front axles

Tom
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM

OK, I'm getting closer here and have one last big question.

Would I be better off goind 5MT, and can it be done for about the same $ as the auto replacement?

If I could find someone locally who could do the swap...I really didn't want to swap it, but I don't know that I will ever trust an Auto in this car, and I've gotten tons of recommendations to swap it, for reliability as much as for drivability.

1) Is there a 5MT swap that doesn't require in-car welding? (Someone mentioned a non-hydraulic clutch setup but I don't know what donor this would be.)

2) Is the a 5MT swap that is about the same $ factor as the Auto?

3) What are the donor car(s), what all parts would I need, and about how much should all this cost?

I'll have the cash soon, so I need to decide what my options and costs are and weight them against how difficult sourcing parts would be.

THANKS!
Raxles front axles
Old 02-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
the problem with going with the 5 mt is its not a shop kind of job its much better as a home project... or to send it to one of the members here that do it all the time... the 5mt is really only cheeper if you do it your self... if you just want to spend the money and get it over with replace the CV axles and tranny w/ a reman SVX tranny its the simplest way to go...
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-05-2007, 03:36 PM

I don't know who on here does that kind of work...Anyone close to IL?

The 5MT isn't something I'd have a shop do, I don't really want a shop to do any of it if I could do it here, but my mechanic friend can be busy at times...

Anyone know the answers to the questions?

Thanks!
Raxles front axles
Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Do you have access to a lift?? If so, I could even make the trip out and do the swap for you... Unless you wanted to ship the car here and fly out to drive it back... I do make 5mt kits but there are still developements I am making with them that have postponed further production but I will be active again soon. This will cut out any of the welding aspect and make it a bolt in kit

Tom
Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 PM

I was just reading your kit thread...That's a heck of an offer!

Sourcing "all the little things" here would be a MAJOR pain.
Subarus are uncommon here, and since they don't break down often, rare cars are also not wrecked often...Junk yards aren't going to be a lot of help.

If you sourced everything, and came here to do the swap (I'd obviously help and put you up) how much do you think it would be? How about for a regular 5MT vs a WRX, vs an STI swap?

Also, about how long do you think it would take?

Thanks a million for the offer! I look forward to your answer.

~M
Raxles front axles
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 PM

Can't figure out how to edit that post...

I was going to add; I have a 1,000 sq/ft heated garage and could probably source a portable lift and maybe an engine hoist if we'd need it...

Thanks!

~M
Raxles front axles