SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
DSM build, Update part 2

SOOoooo yes. Here is my little update about my dsm build, and once again, basically is completely different than I had originally planned.

The car is going to be a road racing car. eventually the whole trailor, hoosiers, stripped down... race car. But I, as a current college student, don't have the money to buy a truck, trailor, sets of hoosiers, etc.

So I'm building the car in "Stages" First one is the initial build-up. (if you want specifics just let me know... i could go on for hours about this, so I don't want to bore you guys)
Here are some of the things that i'm doing for " stage 1"
Complete long block. technically would hold over 600hp no problems

Suspension: Full coilovers, rear sway, front strut brace, new bushings all around. I'll be cornerweighting and doing all that fun stuff to optimize the spring/valving.

New turbo (probably about 60-1 size), I'm custom making the entire intake and exhaust tracts. One of the problems I'm working through is using a front mount Intercooler. I need to make sure that i get PLENTY of airflow through the radiator, and so i will be doing a lot of "duct" work for the brakes, air filter, radiator, oil cooler, P/S cooler and such, as well as getting hot air out of the engine bay. (turbos get hot, imagine that )

Engine Management: I'm using DSMlink, which is a nifty "eprom" circuit board that allows you to change timing, fuel, as well as a bout a hundred other things all using the stock ECU (keeps cool things like knock detection and such) as well as using a wideband kit that includes logging abilities for boost, tps, egt, and others

Brakes: I'm going with a track pad, stainless lines and new rotors. I figure this will do me well enough for a while, eventually i'll go with the Stop Techs kit.

All in all, It will end up being about 450hp to all four wheels, have a very adaptable suspension system. (before I get to the "trailor only" bit, I plan on doing some autocross, rallyx, and other various events) and be damn fun car.

Like I said, if anyone is interested in details, let me know and I'll explain exactly what going to be doing... Pictures to come soon

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
You are going to have a wickedly fast car!
My co-worker used to turn them into 12 second rides doing next to nothing.
Will you be using a stock transmission case?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
You are going to have a wickedly fast car!
My co-worker used to turn them into 12 second rides doing next to nothing.
Will you be using a stock transmission case?
Yeah, I'm actually very familiar with transmissions, seeing as how my engineering co-op is with ZF.

There is a guy who runs a 1g talon to, just recently, a high 7 second time in the quarter mile. He builds trannies using the stock housing, and some of the stock components. I plan on, when i rebuild my trans, buying parts from him, and building it myself. I've had the chance to build some extremely complicated transmissions here at work, and am pretty confident that with enough effort, the DSM tranny won't be too hard.

I'm not buildling it as a drag car, however with the power i'll be making, it should turn at LEAST mid 11's times without thrashing it too bad off the line.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM
no limitation as limitation

hmm, this sounds like it will be too fast for autoX.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
I aggre you really dont want the added tubro lag in exchange for extra power.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Poor College Racer

Well, I've been pretty busy with school/work, and haven't updated this in forever.

I should be picking the block up from the machine shop this week. Ended up going with a stroker motor (uses the 4G63 block, with a 2.4L 4G64 crank) so it will be a 2.34 ish liter motor. Forged JE pistons, Eagle H beam rods, coated bearings, etc. Almost every supporting part that bolts on to the motor is new, including all the timing belt stuff, water pump, oil pump/front cover, gaskets, etc.

My current projects are rather overwhelming. I need to finish building the longblock, as well as replace some synchros in the transmission.

I'm currently dissassembling the entire cars suspension to replace all of the bushings, as well as do some modifications that will allow me to adjust the camber more. I won't be going with the coilovers until later, however I friend who has some shocks and springs that should be an improvement over the 155k miles stockers.

I'm rebuilding all of the brake calipers as well as installing an entirely new cooling system. Everything from radiator, intercooler, trans pump and cooler, huge oil cooler, P/S cooler, ducting etc. This is an extensive project, and I"m probably going to be modifying the front fascia, as well as adding a splitter, to get as much air through everything as possible.

I've also slightly changed my original choice of turbos. I'm going to be using an FP "Green" turbo which is a hybrid between a Mitsu 20g, and something slightly larger than a 50 trim garret compressor. It has been proven to be able to put down almost 500 whp, however I'm going to run it conservatively and hope for 400hp at the wheels. I've got all the tuning tools I could possibly need (other than an awd dyno ;-)) to make this happen as well.

I still have to finish a lot of wiring, including all of the new gauges, sensors, and fuel system.
I'm also replacing the entire fuel system with -6 AN line, and a Golan high flow filter. This goes from the tank to the fuel rail, and then I have an adjustable fuel regulator at the other end of the rail, with the upgraded return line as well.

Overall I've been REALLY busy, and am somewhat overloaded with too much to do, and not enough time to do it. I really want to get the car back together, so that I can have it tuned, and running strong for next season.

Again if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I am trying to keep this brief so that I don't type too much. (I am creating a HUGE writeup about pretty much everything I've done with pictures and how-tos and such. Should be ridiculous when it's done)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 10-20-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
... Yeah, I'm focusing on HPDE and eventually W2W racing, however I'm sure i'll have fun at a few autocrosses as well. The car is meant for NASA's Performance Touring series, so the Autox will just be for fun.

Although with the 17x9 wheels, and some 255 wide hoosiers anything is possible

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker