Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Save gas $ with Stage 1????

Hi
I am trying to figure out if the ECUtune stage 1 will save me money on gas. I have an intake manifold so I can save $100 off the price. So the stage 1 will cost me $120. Premium is running about $.15 more than regular.
So if I run the chip in the regular gas mode and still get about 25 mpg then I have to drive how many miles to get back the $120?
$120*25 miles/gal / $.15 /gal =20,000 miles
Well that is less than a year for me.

Do you think my SVX will still get 25 with the chip and regular gas? From what I read the chip will result in richer burning fuel mixture and that means it will use more gas? Right?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't think you will save money/gas by getting the Stage I chip. At least not enough to pay for itself.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Hi
I am trying to figure out if the ECUtune stage 1 will save me money on gas. I have an intake manifold so I can save $100 off the price.
say WhAt? everone has an intake manifold... at least i would hope they do... i'm quite confused

And i HIGHLY doubt you'd save enough money on gas to make up the price of the chip. just buy the chip, keep it on the 93 setting, and be glad they make one for your car

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What he meant is that L.A.N. will give you $100 for an intake manifold towards your Stage 1 chip.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:59 PM

I've got the stage one chip, haven't installed it yet, but you raise an interesting question.
Would anyone out there with the chip installed (and wired up with the 87 switch) care to test out what kind of mileage differences you get between running 93+ or 87 for a few weeks???
Old 04-29-2005, 05:03 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
I've got the stage one chip, haven't installed it yet, but you raise an interesting question.
Would anyone out there with the chip installed (and wired up with the 87 switch) care to test out what kind of mileage differences you get between running 93+ or 87 for a few weeks???
Wow that would be really helpful. I just hope somebody would do this and really TRYto drive to get good gas mileage. "Try" being the key word. I think most people with the chip, got the chip for more power and not lower operating cost.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Meow!

3 tests would need to be done:

- mileage before installing the chip
- mileage after installing the chip (normal)
- mileage after installing the chip (87 octane)

I know my driving is not consistant enough to do an accurate test. Someone on a long trip would be ideal for this.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Doing three tests would be the best way to do it, however it isn't really necessary IF you plan on running the chip anyway (which I plan on doing)
Also, the driving only needs to be "consistant" enough in that one needs only to do the "same" driving, such as your typical routine (back and forth to work or whatever) for a specified period of time (1 or 2 tanks of gas) with the same amount of gas to being with. At the end of the period, calculate the mileage and see what, if any difference there is in totals between running the chip in 93+ or 87 mode. No it won't be 100% accurate but should at least give one an idea as to what to expect. That said, the mileage the car get's now should be as close to "typical" as one can get to start, as those who are getting 14mpg highway now, wouldn't be a fair test, considering most are getting somewhere in the 20's
Old 04-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
FWIW mileage hasn't changed in either of my 92's with the stage 1 v4 chip. It should I guess with the richer mixture but I haven't noticed it in town or on long trips.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Save $

I agree with SVX-Commuter. I believe that gas "mileage" will be about the same, so you will save "dollars" over the long run and probably will recoup your chip costs if you keep the car as long as I intend to. Also, benefit from the slight performance increase. I think it is a win win situation. Just my opinion.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-01-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
FWIW mileage hasn't changed in either of my 92's with the stage 1 v4 chip. It should I guess with the richer mixture but I haven't noticed it in town or on long trips.

But have you run it in 87 mode to see what kind of mileage you are getting with it???
Old 05-01-2005, 07:12 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
But have you run it in 87 mode to see what kind of mileage you are getting with it???
Nope, haven't tried it and probably never will.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:07 AM

And that was part of the point, to see if running 87 would give you the same kinda mileage as 93 so as to save some $$ at the pump