How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-19-2002, 03:57 PM
Green1995SVX

Strut Failure

Ok, I have 112,000 miles on my original struts, and they are working very well. No bounce back at all. Perfect shape as far as struts go. A friend of mine with a much lower mileage svx was told that his struts would need to pass PA state inspection. What gives? How could mine be fine and his be not only bad, but bad enough to not pass inspection? Has anyone here had to replace their struts? if so, at what mileage, and what is an indicator of bad struts.

-Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Just a couple of questions:

A) Is his a '92?

B) Has it had the upgraded strut mounts installed?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Just a couple of questions:

A) Is his a '92?

B) Has it had the upgraded strut mounts installed?
yes, and i dont know... to answer the questions respectivly.

-Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 04:07 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

yes, and i dont know... to answer the questions respectivly.

-Mike
It may be the mounts causing the difficulties, not the struts themselves. Have the mounts checked to see if they're the upgraded ones.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-19-2002, 04:26 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

It may be the mounts causing the difficulties, not the struts themselves. Have the mounts checked to see if they're the upgraded ones.
I'll relay that info, thanks Randy. You're the man.

-Mike
Old 02-19-2002, 05:14 PM
taohog

I have a used SVX I just purchased and was thinking of replacing the struts. How can I determine if the strut mounting has been upgraded? And how do I upgrade if they are not? thanks larry
Old 02-20-2002, 05:33 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think Randy is talking about the stiffer upper strut mount for the front struts. There is a technical bulletin on this.

The rear upper mounts are prone to salt corrosion failure and the car will sit lower by about 2 to 3" inches.

The struts are BAD if there is fluid that has leaked out. You can see the fluid on the body of the strut cylinder and most likely a lot of road dirt is stuck to it if the oil has been there a long time.

Other than the oil leaking out and rusty rotten mount, the strut has to be taken out to see if its good. It may not leak fluid but the spindel may be bent from hitting a curb hard. The strut may also be weak, real easy to compress and pull out as compared to a new one.

Out of round wheels may be the cause of blowing out the oil from the strut as this may foam up the oil and don't ride fast on rumble strips.

The ball joints, upper mounts and struts can be replaced with a few simple tools and about 2 hrs per strut if you haven't done it before.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Green1995SVX

About these possible rotten rear upper mounts... Is there any way to inspect them without removing the struts?

-Mike
Old 02-20-2002, 07:04 PM

When the rear mount is gone the back of the car will be lower. There is a dimension to check from the ground to the top of the wheel well.
If it's badly rusted but not falling apart yet, you would have to look at it. Suggest raising the car and taking off the rear tire and looking up at the mount with a very bright light. If it looks rusty it should most likely be replaced.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:06 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
When the rear mount is gone the back of the car will be lower. There is a dimension to check from the ground to the top of the wheel well.
If it's badly rusted but not falling apart yet, you would have to look at it. Suggest raising the car and taking off the rear tire and looking up at the mount with a very bright light. If it looks rusty it should most likely be replaced.
The back of my car sits VERY low... ive noticed this lately especially. <sigh> i guess i can add these to my list of things i cant afford. they're like $80 a piece arnt they?

-Mike
Old 02-21-2002, 05:21 AM

I helped another SVX owner change there struts. Actually we put in the Koni's. I am not sure about the prices as he bought the parts. This person also bought the top/bottom rubber that goes next to the spring and a good thing too because the top rubber has a metal ring in it that was rusted away. You may also want to have some Rustolium available to touch up the spring and bottom of the body where the mount contacts. There may be some rust in this area. Do you work on cars? This isn't that big of deal to do yourself if you have a few of the right tools.