How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-24-2004, 12:44 PM
bthomas

Blown Tranny Mount

I took my SVX in for service cause the tranny sounded like it was clicking. Come to find out I have a blown tranny mount. How does that happen??
Old 02-24-2004, 12:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I wouldn't say the tranny mount is 'blown,' just 'worn' or at the most 'broken.'

I have photos in my locker of the tranny mount. What you'll see is two metal plates with bends in them, and between the plates two big rubber bumpers.

That rubber is bonded to the metal plates, but it can crack and break off. This allows the tranny to shift around more freely when torque is applied to it.

As you can see in the one photo, I tried to expoxy the rubber back to the metal plate. I already had one on the way, but I figured as long as it was bad anyway, I'd give it a shot.

It doesn't work and pulled apart rather easily.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
same thing happened here

About 2 years ago my main tranny mount (there is one big U shaped one and two smaller ones) went out. The huge chunk of rubber had worn away and it made that same clicking noise, particularly when i turned corners.

I ordered the new mount off subaruparts.com (I don't remember how much it cost) and took it to Aamco and they installed it for like $140 and about 2 hours time. Best of luck getting that fixed.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: same thing happened here

Quote:
Originally posted by halistan
About 2 years ago my main tranny mount (there is one big U shaped one and two smaller ones) went out.
What do you mean by this? Because, to the best of my knowledge, the tranny is supported by the pitch stopper in front of the firewall and the mount back by the propshaft. I don't know of any 'two smaller ones.'

Unless you're referring to the rear mount, which has two rubber blocks in it. Again, refer to the photo. But that's one piece.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Surprisingly enough the pitch stopper doesn't support anything. It only prevents the engine/transmission from twisting under torque. (It does not support any weight)

Of all the mounts it's the engine mounts that the engine/transmission is weight balanced over. Anyone know if we can get stiffer engine mounts?