Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-21-2004, 06:48 PM
kmin

rust on body

Hi everyone,

guess I should introduce myself first.. I'm about to own a '92 black svx, ls-l... buying it in a week or two. it's been around the block a couple of times (183k miles!), but the owner seems to have taken pretty good care of it.

there are two rust spots though, where the rear fender meets the body panel... at the joint right below the fuel door on the right side, and the same on the left side too. the owner's put a rust inhibitor on one of the spots, but both of them look pretty ugleee...

anyone have suggestions as to how I can fix the rust problem? i just want to make sure it doesn't spread or get any worse, and it would be nice to make it less obvious and more aesthetically appealing. but i'm not going to invest a whole lot of money in it.. the car's not even worth that much anymore! so 50 bucks tops... any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2004, 08:44 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Find an SVX at the junk yards somewhere down south...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-21-2004, 09:10 PM
boundsie

My local automotive paint shop has some stuff called POR-15 that comes in a kit that costs about $15 that is made to stop rust. It ends with a paint surface that can be primed and painted. I've never used it but he really likes it and said the local car restorers love it. He has a rusty chimney vent cap painted with the stuff he keeps in his store for a demo and it sure seems to stick to that good. Might be worth a try.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: rust on body

Quote:
Originally posted by kmin

the car's not even worth that much anymore! so 50 bucks tops... any ideas?

Thanks!
Welcome to the network. I dont know that you'll be able to own this car for very long with that kind of attitude. SVX's require quite a bit of money to own. Buying the car is the EASY part.

Mike
Old 02-22-2004, 02:51 PM
kmin

keeping my fingers crossed

lol, thanks mike! i appreciate the honesty... i know it's gonna cost quite a bit, but i can live with small non-functioning things... the engine and the drivetrain are the things i really worry about, because repairing either would cost major money (fixing my clutch/flywheel on my outback is bad enough, i can't imagine major work on an auto tranny...)

as long as i don't experience major problems with the car for another 10 to 20k, i'll be happy. keeping my fingers crossed and praying hard!!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by boundsie
My local automotive paint shop has some stuff called POR-15 that comes in a kit that costs about $15 that is made to stop rust.
That's some weird stuff. My dad was using that stuff on a chassis of a 1968 Chevelle SS he was restoring for his sister. It starts out with the consistancy of water but once applied it dries quick and is permanent. Just don't get any on your skin because it takes weeks to go away.