SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Autocross on Sunday, 18 May - Results

RUFUS and I participated in the local Mercedes Autocross this past weekend, and I thought I would share the results with all of you.
Keep in mind that this autocross was run in the rain on Sunday - at times, a very steady rain. In the late afternoon, it did begin to stop raining a bit and the course was starting to dry out some with the last and fourth group running. There were three pratice runs in the morning and three runs that counted (the best of the three for best time) in the afternoon. The couse was designed as follows: Out of the start box and on to the circular skid pad, counter-clockwise one full circle. Then down the hill (of the parking lot) about 50 yards through a gate and a HARD turn to the right then a HARD turn to the left in a wide left-hand sweeping turn and back up the hill to the skid pad with a full loop clockwise this time before going into the stop garage. The following times were recorded:

RUFUS( driving a Impreza w/1.8L engine and Konis mounted and on street tires (remember the rail)):
Morning:

- 49.377 seconds

Afternoon:

- 46.938 (Best time for the day)

My runs ('97 SVX, no mods and also running street tires this time)) as following:

Morning:

Afternoon:

We did alright, didn’t we? !

FYI, the following were “other times” for a little comparo:

- Fastest time of the day: Audi S4 @ 42.410 seconds (significantly modified)

- WRX @ 42.500 (significantly modified)

- Porsche 911 @ 42.500

- Mustang Cobra SVT @ 43.210

- Honda S2000 @ 44.161

- Impreza 2.5RS @ 43.700 (significantly modified)

- VW GTI @ 44.560

- My son's Focus SVT @ 44.435

- 1988 Mercedes 560 SL @ 45.577

- 1967 Mercedes 230 SL @46.975

- 1972 Mercedes 300 SEL 4.5L (this is a BIG car and weighs ober 2 tons!) @ 48.449 seconds

It was a cold, rainy day, but a good time was had by all. Subarus were out in full force - there were, unfortunately, only about eight Mercedes that were there to run the course. These very large, heavy automobiles continue to amaze me at an autocross.
Wish you could have been there!
Harry

still
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Making a splash

Harry,
I had no idea that you guys would run in the rain, but I notice that it equalized the advantage of that all-powerful supercharged Cobra!

Naturally, I'm very interested in how your son's SVT Focus did, and it looks like it did very well!

Sounds like you had a great time; maybe I can make it to one of those again when school is out.

Don

PS Was the 911 a Carerra 4?
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 05-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Making a splash

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Harry,
I had no idea that you guys would run in the rain, but I notice that it equalized the advantage of that all-powerful supercharged Cobra!

Naturally, I'm very interested in how your son's SVT Focus did, and it looks like it did very well!

Sounds like you had a great time; maybe I can make it to one of those again when school is out.

Don
Hey, Don.
Re Tom's SVT Focus - The SVX beat him by 2 tenths of a second - that's forever in an autocross .... As Tom said, it looks like this will be an interesting season - BTW, both of us were on street tires, not racing tires. On dry pavement, I would think it would be a bit closer, considering the SVX's AWD in the rain against his FWD in the rain .... But we won't tell Tom that ... He had me beat up to my last run - then everything fell into place for me. But I still think there was another tenth of a second there somewhere....

Missed you and Jean, but I certainly understand. Hope you can make another one there in Winchester later in the summer.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 05-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Don,
I really should have elaborated more on Tom's Focus - it did run quite well and looks rock solid on the course. And you just can't get the grin off his face from the fun he's having with it. He does wish it had a bit more power, but don't we all?
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Don,
BTW, The 911 was NOT AWD - same guy as last year, but unlike the black one last season, this one is not AWD. But still VERY fast!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 05-20-2003, 09:52 AM
I look like Gordon

Just for the record, those are KYB struts on my car; the Konis are on my SVX They are the AGX adjustables up front and the GR2s in the back (my car is only front wheel drive, and they don't make the AGX struts for the rear of the 2wd Impreza). Right now, I am running H&R sport springs in the front, stock springs in the back, and it is pretty balanced.

I have to put in a plug for the tires I was using this time. They were Yokohama AVS ES100s. They stuck better in the wet than my old RE92s did in the dry, but that's not saying much. They are very sticky, and seem to be reasonably quiet. I am probably going to get a set for the SVX very soon (only $80 each in 225/50 R16).

While we are on the subject, does anyone here have any suggestions on a limited slip diff for the front wheel drive Impreza transmission? I'm going to be adding more power (2.5L probably) and I think it would be fun to keep the car front wheel drive and LIGHT. Will the aftermarket LSDs for the all wheel drive tranny fit? What models of Impreza/Legacy came with a LS front diff that might fit? TIA

-Mike