Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-12-2003, 08:45 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Open Deck----- See the picture above.... see all that gap between the outer cylinder walls and the block.... That's where the coolant flows in an open block.... Open Block, really open and lots of water flows there.... ( my description )...

Closed Deck ------ I can't remember exactly what engine it is that subaru makes.. ( think it is a 91 Turbo Legacy engine )... It is a 4 banger closed block.... All it is is that there is more metal between the cylinder walls and the block.... The coolant passages are smaller... ( Another of my descriptions )

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

From a munufacturing stand point, the SVX open deck is a better design than a closed deck. It allows for better holding of the cores that make the coolant passages when the metal is poured because these core are supported by the open area of coolant passage. In a closed deck design it will be difficult to support the coolant core and to remove that core after the block is cast. It would have to come out of smaller holes. The open deck also makes it easier to see into the coolant passages after the casting core has been removed, much easier to clean out fins and to find other problems. I have worked with pump castings for a number of years and I was impressed with the block casting design. The first time I saw this is when I got the heads off my old engine and looked at the block.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
porter contributed a lot of information to an AWESOME thread about that awhile back.. try searching for "closed deck" and seeing what you come up with.. i'm too tired to find the thread

-adam
I shoulda tried that first - now I know. Thanks!!!!
2001 Outback Sport