Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Dexron III?

Just a thought.

When you refill, go back to using the Dexron II that the manual recommends.

I could be wrong in this, but I think Dexron III is partially or completely synthetic.

Best feature of synthetics, they can retain viscosity and lubrication after high temperatures. Power steering will not exert high temperatures

Worst feature of synthetics, they will find places to leak where mineral oils won't. So you may have inadvertently overcome the value of your O-ring fix, or defeated the sealing capability of some of the seals in your rack.

Somebody correct me on this if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure DIII is a synth, and possibly not correct for the application concerned.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Tired

Steering still goofed

I took the reservoir off tonight and replaced the o-ring. I also put a bottle of Lucas treatment in. The steering still seemed to bind. I drove it only 6 or so miles. Maybe I need to drive it more. Something else I noticed as a pin-hole leak in the upper radiator hose. It has been dripping down over the right hand suspension. I looked under the car and it was soaked. I check and it was coolant. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the steering or not.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Paul
Old 04-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
DexIII is the next generation fluid and is totally backwards compatible. The synthetic moniker is doubtful, but could be included in some form in all products if the issue were pushed. The original Dexron included whale oil as a rust inhibitor. When that additive was made illegal GM had some serious corrosion problems, including tansmissions and radiators (internal tranny cooler ruptures.) This was a well known issue during the mid to late 70's.

In regards to its usage in power steering systems it is merely regarded as a high quality hydraulic oil. It typically has lower detergent and friction modifier packages than say, Ford spec ATF. That makes it a little more preferrable in purely hydraulic situations.

Power steering operates by high pressure, higher than most people realize. Some systems on cars exceed 1700 psi. That kind of pressure creates fair amounts of heat, that's why many cars includes power steering coolers. However dark, burnt-smelling fluid is not normal in automotive p/s sytems, unless there are underlying problems creating the excessive heat. I wish I had better news.

Your best bet is to round up about 6 or 7 quarts of ATF. Remove the p/s return line and extend it into a catch bucket. While a helper starts the car (and keeps their hand on the key in order to quickly stop the engine of needed) start pouring the fluid in and thereby flushing out as much of the old fluid as possible. This may flush out the problem or maybe only buy some time until the real problem comes into the open. If you save a few bucks in anticipation of a repair between now and then it won't be so painful. If it turns out that the problem disappears, so much the better.

Last edited by Beav; 04-24-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Power steering operates by high pressure, higher than most people realize. Some systems on cars exceed 1700 psi. That kind of pressure creates fair amounts of heat, that's why many cars includes power steering coolers.

Beav, one of my unsubstantiated theories in life is that those folks who must parallel park frequently, or for whatever the reason do the "lock-to-lock" maneuver without a little forward or reverse movement of the car, will blow their power steering components with greater frequency than those who don't strain the system. Any truth to this idea, or is my urban auto-myth mind in overdrive tonight?

Ron (steering up the wrong tree?).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:07 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
DexIII is the next generation fluid and is totally backwards compatible. The synthetic moniker is doubtful, but could be included in some form in all products if the issue were pushed.
In regards to its usage in power steering systems it is merely regarded as a high quality hydraulic oil. It typically has lower detergent and friction modifier packages than say, Ford spec ATF. That makes it a little more preferrable in purely hydraulic situations.

All of what you say makes sense as usual Beav. You say DIII is backwards compatible. OK. Does this imply it will not seek out more leaks than the DII that is recommended?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Tired

Sensor

I might try something else... I am going to take the sensor off and try to clean it. Maybe it's getting some goofy signals. Steering was the same tyhis morning heading in to work. At dead center it's fine and can be turned a few desrees before it binds. After it binds for the first time its ok once I am steering in that direction only. Once I turn the wheel toward the other way I have more binding. It seems like it is bindin in a couple of spots on both directions. Anywhere between the binding spots and the steering feels fine.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

This has me kinda down. I had been saving up money for the 60k service.

Paul
Old 04-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Tired

Oh... Thanks

Thanks for the advice on the fluid. After I try the sensor, then the next step is getting to my mechanic friend and drain the rack and inspect it.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Green1995SVX

Should you need a steering rack, I still have one available.

Mike
Old 04-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Beav, one of my unsubstantiated theories in life is that those folks who must parallel park frequently, or for whatever the reason do the "lock-to-lock" maneuver without a little forward or reverse movement of the car, will blow their power steering components with greater frequency than those who don't strain the system. Any truth to this idea, or is my urban auto-myth mind in overdrive tonight?

Ron (steering up the wrong tree?).
I'm sure that it would probably create some additional stresses but I think the steering linkage and tires would take the brunt of the load. You can sit on the ground next to a front tire and turn it to one side with a bit of difficulty. Place a sheet or two of newspaper under the front tires and try again - it becomes almost easy to turn.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

All of what you say makes sense as usual Beav. You say DIII is backwards compatible. OK. Does this imply it will not seek out more leaks than the DII that is recommended?

Joe
I think it just means that they would have recommended DexIII had it been available. To tell you the truth, as far as I know, you may be right but I've never noticed it to be more prone to leakage.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:59 AM
Tired

Steering back to working...

Strange thing... Saturday, I de-greased the bottom of the car (leaking cam seals, antifreeze, dripped steering fluid). After doing that I let everything dry off and un plugged the sensor attached near the power steering pump. I drove it around the block and it worked fine. I pluged it back in and have been driving it since. The steering is acting fine. Go figure...

Again, thanks for all the posts. I am sure someone is going to encounter the same problem and will find this thread valuable. Thanks again to all in the SVX world. I'll update if anything changes.

1992 LSl (Black Mica)
1965 Mustang G.T. Fastback
1990 Mustang G.T. Convertible
1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4
2004 Vovlo XC70 (wife's)

Wonderful Wife
Wonderful Son
2 Cats

Incredibly blessed!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Porter

Just to point it out... the Impreza, Legacy, and WRX all use a very similar steering system to the SVX (based on ATF) and they now recommend DexIII in the system. I think it's fine for use in the SVX steering, DexIII has pretty much directly replaced DexII. I've been using DexIII with no problems.