Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-17-2003, 06:36 PM
svxstl

Question failing bearings -> overheating hub?

Brought my money pit in to investigate my howling noise. Turns out to be the front left bearing.

The strange part is, the shop told me that the hub may need replacing if it has distorted due to overheating (from the failing bearing). But they won't know until they have the bearing out.

Est. for parts/labor on bearing: $350
Est. for parts/labor on hub+bearing: $750

What's going on here? Does this sound legit? I couldn't find any information on overheating hubs on this board. Also, are these prices OK coming from a subaru dealer?

Much appreciated,
Dan
Old 04-17-2003, 07:07 PM

Looking at SubaruParts.com the bearing and hub together is around $250. then there's seals, and probably other small parts. Ask them how much the parts are, how many hours they are charging for the job, and what their hourly rate is. Never seen a place that wouldn't provide this info.

Then check around the area and see what the going hourly rate is at other dealers. The # of hours should be from the "book".

this is not a complex job, but does require a front end alignment if the hub is pulled. most any shop that handles front wheel drive bearing replacement could do it. ask around: at gas stations, parts shops, weekend car hangouts.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:31 PM

Two of the Subaru dealerships here quoted me $316, and $320. So $350 sounds about right. As far as the hub goes I am tooling up to tear into mine and as such have read almost every thread on this site on wheel bearing replacement. I have read of hubs needing to be replaced when bearing are done but how bad the bearings were when they were replaced I can't tell you. It seems logical that if enough heat was conducted from the bearing that the hub could warp. I only hope that my hub is good, but I don’t think they are that expensive on SubaruParts.com.

Blue
Old 04-18-2003, 07:15 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The Subaru dealer quoted me $250 labor only per side, which was a big rip. One of my friend's garages knew how to do it and I ended up paying 180 for both sides with 1 year warranty, but we'll see what happens.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Heat distortion?

I suppose it is possible, but I feel very unlikely. The hub already runs with a lot of heat from the rotors, and it has to be able to take that in its stride.

Any discussions I have seen on here or Yahoo! made out hub distortion happened when the bearing was being pressed in, or taken out, without being lined up properly or without enough care. This seems a far more likely scenario to me, due to the high pressures exerted, and maybe your garage guys are just putting in this to jack up the price or to cover their butt if they get it wrong.

I would be wary of them and look elsewhere.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-21-2003, 01:45 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I think that the bearing pretty much has to fall apart before heat of that magnitude gets generated, and everything I've read about SVX wheel bearings is that the frightening sound is due to only mildly scored races and/or bearings.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:33 PM
svxstl

Re: Heat distortion?

Well, I got the work done (they had already ordered the parts), and they said nothing about the hub, so it was $350 total for a LF bearing including overnighting the parts (I think the front bearing parts/labor are a little more expensive than the rear?). This was the first time I'd gone to this dealer--I wanted someone somewhat svx-literate to do the bearing.

I couldn't hear the LF bearing failing until I got new tires, and now that I got the LF bearing done, I can hear the LR bearing starting to go. it's not that loud yet, so it will go on my list of future repairs.

I've had to do quite a bit to my SVX since I got it 8 months ago. Hopefully it will level out once I get all the stuff done that the previous owner should have. Payments on a new car would probably be cheaper with the amount of money I've spent on tires, wheel bearings, timing belt, belts, hoses, etc.--but then, I wouldn't be driving an SVX
Old 04-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Heat distortion?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxstl
I've had to do quite a bit to my SVX since I got it 8 months ago. Hopefully it will level out once I get all the stuff done that the previous owner should have. Payments on a new car would probably be cheaper with the amount of money I've spent on tires, wheel bearings, timing belt, belts, hoses, etc.--but then, I wouldn't be driving an SVX
That is quite a mouthfull!

Many times I have felt the same. My brother's new Passat t/d can pull about the same torque the SVX has, and at 40 mpg. Feels fast, but is not quiet, does not handle bumpy roads with aplomb, and although well built, has no special feeling about it.

On the other hand, the SVX always delivers, can devour long distances without stress, and can put a smile on your face if you decide to explore the sporty side. Very few car can do this to any level of competence. The SVX remains unique.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-22-2003, 07:27 PM
njboys808

Its very common to have to change the hub if you run on bad bearing to the point where they are loud. But as they said you dont know till you pull it apart.