How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 PM
clarkerussell

Brake Question

Well, after one front brake job (turning rotors, new pads), my 1996 SVX is back to it's old habits.. SQUEAK/SQUEAL and rattling... The rears have been squaling for months now... I'm in need of a total overhaul.. I need new front rotors, and new pads all around. I know this is going to open a can of worms, but what is the best solution for my car? I've seen the threads on the iRotor group purchase, and I've done some research on the ART cryogenically treated rotors. What rotor/pad combination has the best results on our heavy cars? I don't mind paying the $350 for the ART cryo rotors/pads, but I'd hate to waste my money when I can get "regular" rotors for under $150... Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have used new pads and old stock turned rotors with no squealling except when the pads wore down and the metal scrapper hit the rotor. The shims and grease for the shims are supposed to prevent the squeal. Sometimes the the pins for the calipher come loose.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
I use the raceconcepts.net rotors and axxis metalmaster pads. Best combo out there for the $ IMHO.

This includes 3 track days, 15K miles of heavy braking and what not. Very satisfied for the price.

-mike
Old 04-15-2003, 05:22 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Do you have all the shims for the brake pads? My SVX had terrible brake squeal when I first got it. When I took the brakes apart to install new pads and turn the rotors, I found that there were no shims. (Pads were near new though). Along with new pads (Axxis Deluxe Plus), I also got a full set of OEM shims from Subaru. After about 4 months with the new pads, turned rotors, and new shims, the brakes have been noise-free.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I just put a set of wearever golds on the wife's svx and they came with a shim glued to the pad. I couldn't even use the stock shims because it made the combo too thick to fit the caliper over. Anyway - they don't squeal a bit with no stock shims and just the shim that came with the pads.

Clarke - if you buy stuff and need help installing feel free to come over to my place on the weekend and we'll put them on.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:39 PM
clarkerussell

cool

Thanks Suby! I'll have to take you up on that. I use my car in Charlotte all week and the Subaru Mechanic I trust is in Greenville and not open on weekends.. Thanks!

Clarke

P.S.- It's getting to be about time to go to Main Street Jaz, isn't it?
Old 04-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jazz started up 2 weeks ago - we were there for the start - it was alot fun.
Maybe I'll see you there.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.