Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2003, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
"Rack and Pinion" question

Was there a difference between 92s and 94s racks and pinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...410720810&rd=1

I need one for 94Lsi, do you guys know if this one will work. I think it should.

nik

PS, i checked on the subaru specs website, it says Lsi has "electronic vehicle-speed sensing variable power assist"
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 04-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
They are different. Like you were worrying, the 94 lsi has electronic vehicle speed controlled steering while the 92's are only rpm controlled. The fancy electronic deal in our 94's actually takes both into account and has a little system of figuring out how much steering assist to give by looking at both engine rpm and vehicle speed.

I don't know how mechanically enclined you are or how much tools and equipment you have but I'm of the mind that I'm better off rebuilding things like that than getting them used. Take the power steering pump. While subaru doesn't offer a complete rebuild kit they do offer all of the parts that would be in one. I rebuilt my power steering pump about a week ago for approximately $30 with all factory parts. If you rebuild your rack it's good as new not 6-12 years old like a used one would be. If you do rebuild you'll need the factory service manuals.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hey! that's great you rebuilt your PS pump. What did you replace? I think Huck did that too. I bougt a new one and someday I'll do my old one. Someone else rebuilt a rack and had problems. They needed to hone a bore but didn't do it. I think the clearance had opened up and it wasn't round. It was sticky after the rebuild. I would get a salvage yard rack if it was new or afew years old. The 92 LS-L rack is road speed sensitive too.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hey! that's great you rebuilt your PS pump. What did you replace? I think Huck did that too. I bougt a new one and someday I'll do my old one. Someone else rebuilt a rack and had problems. They needed to hone a bore but didn't do it. I think the clearance had opened up and it wasn't round. It was sticky after the rebuild. I would get a salvage yard rack if it was new or afew years old. The 92 LS-L rack is road speed sensitive too.
You shouldn't have to replace anything but the bearing, the seal, the gasket, and the o-rings. The only thing that might be difficult is pressing the shaft and bearing out of the body, the bearing off of the shaft, then the new bearing on the shaft, and then the bearing and shaft back into the body. Nothing should need to be machined or polished though.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 PM
The Road Less Traveled

I dunno... me mechanic took mine apart, and found parts in there that were worn out... almost $200USD for the part.

I'll take a used one, thankyouverymuch.

VK
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

You shouldn't have to replace anything but the bearing, the seal, the gasket, and the o-rings. The only thing that might be difficult is pressing the shaft and bearing out of the body, the bearing off of the shaft, then the new bearing on the shaft, and then the bearing and shaft back into the body. Nothing should need to be machined or polished though.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yeah, you don't want that one on e-bay unless you have an L or LS model. You need to find one from an LSi or LS-L model.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yeah, you don't want that one on e-bay unless you have an L or LS model. You need to find one from an LSi or LS-L model
I think the one on ebay is from 94LSi. I emailed the guy and he said that most of his parts from 94 Green Lsi.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 04-15-2003, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX
OK, correction, it is 94LS, not LSi.

I think you are right, David, i don't want it.

thanks

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 04-15-2003, 10:51 AM
alacrity024

Quote:
They are different. Like you were worrying, the 94 lsi has electronic vehicle speed controlled steering while the 92's are only rpm controlled.
as far as i know, the '92 LS-L's had the speed sensitive PS system while the '92 LS's had the RPM-sensitive unit..

someone correct me if i'm wrong

-adam
Old 04-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by zamorush
OK, correction, it is 94LS, not LSi.

I think you are right, David, i don't want it.

thanks

nik
Nik,

If you have an ls the 5and 6th numbers in your vin will be 34 as opposed to on the lsi where the 5th and 6th numbers will be 35. Here's an oldy but goody to quickly check which models have the same steering as you. 92-97 SVX spec page

On a side note. I get a kick out of seeing the svs in the wind tunnel test witch it's wheels on backwards.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

Nik,

If you have an ls the 5and 6th numbers in your vin will be 34 as opposed to on the lsi where the 5th and 6th numbers will be 35. Here's an oldy but goody to quickly check which models have the same steering as you. 92-97 SVX spec page

On a side note. I get a kick out of seeing the svs in the wind tunnel test witch it's wheels on backwards.
Just a little warning - Joe's site isn't dead-on accurate. He's wrong on a few things here and there. He doesn't list vehicle-speed sensitive steering available for the '92. I don't know whether or not it was, but I have a '93 and I am pretty damned certain mine's not the RPM-sensing type.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Just a little warning - Joe's site isn't dead-on accurate. He's wrong on a few things here and there. He doesn't list vehicle-speed sensitive steering available for the '92. I don't know whether or not it was, but I have a '93 and I am pretty damned certain mine's not the RPM-sensing type.
I don't know %100 for sure there are no errors on the site. But i do know it says that speed sensitive steering was standard on the touring package (lsl) in 92 and 93.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

I don't know %100 for sure there are no errors on the site. But i do know it says that speed sensitive steering was standard on the touring package (lsl) in 92 and 93.
Ah, see, I didn't scroll down far enough to see the details he lists for the Touring Package. I read the chart wrong.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The speed sensitive rack has a wire connector on the rack near the steering shaft. The rpm sensitive rack does not have this connector cause the PS pressure increases with rpm.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Nik,

thanks Michael for such a useful info, although it is cool, I got it. The guy said it is 94 but he has a nonleather interior, and FWD, not AWD. So i am guessing it is LS, or L.

And yeah, I also looked at the SVX manual for that, 94s Lsi, and Ls, and L have different specs. Actually only AWD vehicles have Electronically controlled steering. And there is a light that comes on if it has a problem, it is on the very left of the gauge panel.

Nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9