How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-25-2002, 07:08 PM
rizzer77

seraph answer this bro(or anyone else)

just wondering ...i found a 92 lsi with 116K miles for a decent price....got it checked by the dealer(safety inspection)
dealer said power steering leaks(not a big deal i reckon) and oil pump leaks and needs to be replaced and since oil pump leaks ...that means there must b oil on timing belt and that needs to b replaced too..everything else cheked out fine

gave me a quote for $800 for timimg belt and pump ....well i could afford to make this repair...if i buy the car...but i wonder how much money should i set aside for repairs per year on an svx.....average amount will do(out of ur experience)

also how does the H-6 cyl engine rate with other v-6 in terms of reliability.....in essence if the car has 116k on it now and we assume the owner took decent/good care of it....how many miles is life expectancy on the H-6 (on average)

mayb what i am trying here is to get re-assurance from u all so i can buy the svx....i am otherwise scared of 6-cyl exotics (had a 88 supra once...had real bad experience with it)

but my 4 -cyl legacy is a tank (touch wood)
plz provide assurance that if i buy the svx...it will be a sound decision lol
Old 09-25-2002, 08:03 PM
sith

What do you consider a "decent price" on this car? I would be wary if it has known problems like that, it probably wasn't treated well in the past.

The engine itself is, as folks like to say, pretty much bullet proof. But, if it's been oil starved or something, all bets are off.

Has the transmission ever been replaced? If not, i'd set aside the $3k or so for that. As far as other stuff, it's really not that much more expensive than other cars on a yearly basis (in my opinion).

My advice would be to move slowly on a car with known issues like this ... chances are, unless they're giving it to you for $2k or so, it's not worth it...

-Colin
Old 09-25-2002, 08:06 PM
billisa

So hard to say... but

The SVX H-6 is not a source of many problems -- oil leaks, yes, but I don't consider that a huge repair issue. By and large these engines are what some people call "bulletproof". In my area, there's an SVX with 240,000 miles on it with no engine rebuild.

On the other hand, it's important to know what your transmission is like -- has it been remanufactured by Subaru or is it the factory original? If it's the one the car was born with, it more than likely will need some major work -- maybe not, but likely by 150,000miles, if not earlier. ($2,500+)

Wheel bearings tend to be an issue on SVX's, but this may depend on how the car's been driven, and indeed the ones on your prospective car may have already been replaced.

On the CarTalk site SVX's came out better (cheaper) than say a Mitsubishi 3000/Dodge Stealth on a repair basis -- but in the end it will be difficult to predict what your car might need.

I'm running a '92 LS-L (147,000miles) I've put 8,000 miles on since June and I've only done "elective" stuff. But my car was very well cared for before I got it (with a reman trans and wheel bearings).

Last edited by billisa; 09-26-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I'd be happy to go look at the car with you. As for the repairs, I'd only take it to Mraz auto out on Hwy 164 & Capital Dr. I've tried every dealer in the metro area and they all leave a lot to be desired.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 09-25-2002 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:28 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I think every one pretty much answered the question. And I'd take doug's help if i were you. He know what he is talking about when it comes to the SVX. I talk a lot. He does a lot without talking.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-26-2002, 07:27 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<He does a lot without talking.>>

funny, most people tell me I never shut up.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-26-2002, 12:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

Doug
You don't say...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

Doug

Funny, most people tell me *to* shut up.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-28-2002, 09:19 PM
rizzer

sounds good

I'd be happy to go look at the car with you. As for the repairs, I'd only take it to Mraz auto out on Hwy 164 & Capital Dr. I've tried every dealer in the metro area and they all leave a lot to be desired.

Doug

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK doug sounds real nice to me...I have sent u a private message so check it and get back to me please. I'll post the majority of the message here for the other nice peeps here to read.

The owner seems to b nice and honest and I took it to Don Jacobs Subaru and they checked it out and said power steering leaks and oil pump leaks

but owner says that he thinks they are messing with him and lying. He says that he doesnt add any oil at all between changes cuz level doesnt go down.

Owner said he hasnt notice and power steering leaks either.

Owner did mention that sometimes on hills the transmission slips but nuthing major. I drove it and noticed no slips in transmission or visible leaks.

Also he said he has never had tranny worked on or replaced but i have tranny and VIN no available.

Well i will give u more details when we chat on the phone.

Please call me asap cuz i want to settle this soon and take it whichever place it needs to go (dealer/garage) for inspection so i can decide whether to buy it or find some other car...like may b an accord.

Thx again and expect to hear from u soon.

Regards

Anuj Sharma
no slips in transmission or visible leaks.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:34 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
<<but owner says that he thinks they are messing with him and lying. He says that he doesnt add any oil at all between changes cuz level doesnt go down.>>

The owner could be right. You should be able to see the leaks on the car. All cars will sip a little liquid. The are old. Period. PS could be the famous O-Ring.

<<Owner did mention that sometimes on hills the transmission slips but nuthing major. I drove it and noticed no slips in transmission or visible leaks. >>
This could be of concern. I hate to take chances. Sometimes it is worth biting the bullet though. Just remember that the tranny costs about 2500 to replace.

<<i have tranny and VIN no available. >>
Call up SOA (1800-SUBARU-3) and check on the car. Talk to someone. Do not leave a message.

Good luck
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!