How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-21-2002, 08:00 PM

Registered SVX
You guys are old hat !

Over fifty years ago I designed a racing bike to fit my size and style of riding and had it custom built by a local bicycle builder. Molly tubing, cut away custom lugs and a work of art. It was the done thing back then if you were a serious racing cyclist.

My son has a state of the art Alloy framed fully sprung mountain bike with mega speed gears, which he uses regularly for commuting in preference to his Subaru. We have had many discussions on frame costruction and design. There have been no changes in the basics but there have been vast improvements in respect everything attached to the basic frame.

Now if auto engineers could get down to basics and equal the design excellence of the modern bicycle, we could have truly great cars. A cyclist has to pay for poor design with hard labour and is not inclined to accept rubbish. Not so the poofter in the driving seat who accepts what the PR brigade sell him.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-21-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:11 PM

ahhh

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
...cut away custom lugs and a work of art.
...cast lugs are art in and of themselves. A marriage of function, beauty and the science of the foundry...
Old 09-21-2002, 08:30 PM

Registered SVX
Cast lugs

Great that you know what I am talking about in these modern times which illustrates how little true basics in design change. In my day all the builders had their own particular designs and styles in the shaping of lugs when they cut them to a minimum to save weight and the results were true scuplture and an art form.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: ahhh

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
...cast lugs are art in and of themselves. A marriage of function, beauty and the science of the foundry...
Uhh..., guys. What's a cast lug, & where can I go to see one? Sorry - I gave up two wheeled transportation when I sold my '53 Raleigh 3-speed back in '60. I DID ride it through the woods, before mountain bikes were invented though!

Thanks, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:21 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: ahhh

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Uhh..., guys. What's a cast lug, & where can I go to see one? Sorry - I gave up two wheeled transportation when I sold my '53 Raleigh 3-speed back in '60. I DID ride it through the woods, before mountain bikes were invented though!

Thanks, Ron.
Okay, now I can pitch in. I still have my Raleigh Grand Prix, bought in 1974. I used to be into long distance road trips. It was a great ride for its time. I haven't ridden in years.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-22-2002, 12:42 AM

Registered SVX
Lugs

Ron, in bicycle speak lugs are cast or forged parts used to join the frame tubes in a bicycle frame. The tubes are brazed into the lug rather than welded which is an advantage as the steel tubing is not subject to excessive heat which can effect the structure of the steel.

About 50 yrs ago frames with butt welded joints became available and I recall buying one off a guy who brought it out from the UK and it was the very latest thing in bikes. As I understand it 50 yrs on and the argument still rages re the two methods. Steel, verses alloy frames, is another topic. Cq$h & Co. where are you ?

Last edited by Trevor; 09-22-2002 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Lugs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trevor
[B]Ron, in bicycle speak lugs are cast or forged parts used to join the frame tubes in a bicycle frame. The tubes are brazed into the lug rather than welded which is an advantage as the steel tubing is not subject to excessive heat which can effect the structure of the steel

Thanks, Trevor. Now I can go down to the community bike path, sit on a park bench, & when a cutie comes pedaling by, I can say, "Hey, nice lugs"! without getting my face slapped.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:35 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:

There have been no changes in the basics but there have been vast improvements in respect everything attached to the basic frame.

Now if auto engineers could get down to basics and equal the design excellence of the modern bicycle, we could have truly great cars. A cyclist has to pay for poor design with hard labour and is not inclined to accept rubbish. Not so the poofter in the driving seat who accepts what the PR brigade sell him.
Hmmm. Kind of why I'm riding a recumbent (Well, not in the woods).

Nick, that's a great looking frame. The dropouts are outstanding! And that stay! Yeow! What's the length?

I guess I'm cheap. My Raleigh MTB is 15 years old. My K2's are 13. Even the recumbent is from the early 90's. My trials bike is the newbie, at 3.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-25-2002, 01:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

Hmmm. Kind of why I'm riding a recumbent (Well, not in the woods).

Nick, that's a great looking frame. The dropouts are outstanding! And that stay! Yeow! What's the length?
Length of what? The chainstays? I have no idea. If you mean the frame size, it's 21" from center to top.

It just got here not fifteen minutes ago. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. I've never been a gram-counter, but since it's totally stripped of components right now I think I'll take off the bubble wrap and weigh it on the mail scale later. :P

From Trevor: Steel, verses alloy frames, is another topic. Cq$h & Co. where are you ?

I have two aluminum (wait, now three) bikes, one road and one mountain, and one steel road bike. I've ridden aluminum, different steels and carbon. My favorite is aluminum. You can take a real pounding, but I love the rigidity. I can see the steel 'beater' road bike (an '80s Miyata with pretty lugs) actually flex when I stand on the pedals uphill. At least I could - I'm not as strong as I was a few years ago. :P

Titanium has become more and more popular, but I've never ridden one. They continue to be outrageously expensive. They also flex more than aluminum, so I don't know that I'd really love it.

I remember a Japanese company making a frame out of paper and epoxy several years ago...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-25-2002, 11:21 PM

Registered SVX
Frame stiffness should not be sacrificed for weight in my opinion. Every flex of the frame means lost horsepower so that even in the bicycle world power to weight ratio comes into the equation. The technical side of bikes is more involved and interesting than those outside cycling realise.

Old 09-26-2002, 09:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Frame stiffness should not be sacrificed for weight in my opinion. Every flex of the frame means lost horsepower so that even in the bicycle world power to weight ratio comes into the equation. The technical side of bikes is more involved and interesting than those outside cycling realise.
Besides power-to-weight, another important issue is usable horsepower. If you can't put the power to the ground, then all that rigidity is for nothing. Merlin makes a Ti frame that has a short-travel shock built into the seat stays. There are no links to maintain - the chainstays just flex when the shock compresses.

Does that keep the rear wheel in better contact with the trail? Does that contact make up for the power lost to the frame flexing? I have no idea. I also don't know how stiff that frame can be laterally.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE