Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 09:41 PM
I_Alcyone_I

OT-Need info on 3000gt

Hey, I think I remember a couple people saying they used to own a 3000gt. A friend of mine is looking to buy one, right now at a '99 VR4. It has 60k miles on it, full warranty, and excellent interior. How much trouble are the turbos in that car, how much trouble is the AWS, should my friend look for a non turbo instead with less miles, or the same thing with less miles?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
And you think the SVX has transmission problems.....

At least here in Oz, they are very unpopular:

hidesouly expensive to maintain
very hard to modify (the size and space in the engine bay) although should be a lot easier in the states given the popularity of them
they go like stink but very heavy, massive fuel consumption, huge weight over front wheels + fronts are asked to do a lot
electrical problems
4ws problems
Mr Gearbox goes away on a regular basis!

That's at least what the case is here in Australia - most people won't touch them with a bargepole.

My 2cents AU worth.

But they look evil!!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:54 PM
I_Alcyone_I

It will never be modified, and it's a 5 speed. Were you talking about auto trans or do they have problems with the manual transmission too?
Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 PM
The Road Less Traveled

If I recall correctly, there's this "thingy" inside the manual gearbox that is prone to breaking, and to rebuild the tranny it's like 2 or 3 times the cost of our auto slushboxes. I believe the auto boxes are a safer bet on that car.

Anyone can confirm?

VK
Old 09-12-2002, 02:42 AM
Hitchhikin'

Alcyone, are you sure it's a 5 speed? Because, to my recollection, all the VR4 models came with 6 speed Getrag trannies. Only problem was that this was Getrag's bastard child; the tranny goes out very easily, and doesn't handle the twin turbo's power at all. Many 3000GT owners advise anyone buying a VR4/Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo to have at least $4k in the bank to spare, for when the Getrag tranny fails. As for the auto trannies, my dad has a 94 3000GT base model, and the auto tranny went out. Cost to fix: $3600. So you're SOL either way.

As for specs, base and SL models are ~3600 lbs, about 75-100 less than the SVX, and are FWD only. The VR4s are ~3900 lbs, and they have Front-Wheel based AWD to help move all that bulk. The VR-4 has an aero wing, which changes angle or height above 55 mph or so, and the SL model, one level lower, has an electronically controlled suspension which can be adjusted for normal or sporty handling. I'm not sure about the reliability of these, but they're just extra parts to break. The black plastic parts adjacent to the door window glass are also prone to fading, ~$150 to replace, so check that out.

Also, if you happen to look at lower models besides the VR-4, note the year of the car. before 97, all the lower models had a high output 3.0L making 222hp. In 1997, they changed the base model's engine to a 3.0L making 160hp. Same engine, cheaper cost detuned, I guess. It's the same engine that was offered in all Dodge Stealth base models during the Stealth's whole production run. So, if you're looking for lower models, make sure to get a lil bit older one to get more power, because 222hp is barely enough to move a car of that weight, much less 160hp. Granted, I like the slightly better body styling of 97+, but it's not that significant of a change, unlike the difference between 93 and 94 models.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
red92svx pretty muched sumed that all up..

94 and up 3000gts come with 6 speed getrag trannies and 320 hp

91-94 i beilive is the years come with a 5 speed and 300 hp with the pop up headlights

i have to heard abought weak trannys in the 3000gts also but they have awsome horsepower and AWD cant ask for much more.

the turbos they run i believe are 17c wich is made my mitsu and only push around 10 psi

im intrested in buying on i want to own a fast car like a 300 zx but the mitsu is alittle easier to work on. but it is a monster in the engine bay there..

u can easily get a 300gt vr4 aroudn 400 hp with verry little mods now if the trannies is reliable i dunno ..

got to www.clubdsm.com might have info
extrememotorsports.com also has info
or clubgto.om

best of luck
Old 09-12-2002, 07:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
If I recall correctly, there's this "thingy" inside the manual gearbox that is prone to breaking, and to rebuild the tranny it's like 2 or 3 times the cost of our auto slushboxes. I believe the auto boxes are a safer bet on that car.

Anyone can confirm?

VK
A good friend of mine has a '94 3000GT base model. He drives it very conservatively, like the previous owner. The auto tranny died in a rather spectacular fashion this year at 70k miles.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Ca$h

My advice: If you're going to get one, don't screw around and get the VR4. Why? Lets see, with only 160-170 hp and 3600 lbs of mass, this is ONE FREAKING SLOW ASS CAR.

I raced one in my neon. It was a non VR4. With 140hp and 2400 lbs, you can guess what happened....

and man, it would SUCK to pay a LOT for the car, a LOT for insurance, a LOT for gas, and get beat by a stock base model neon. :\

So yeah, get the VR4. They're nice looking cars.

- Ca$h
Old 09-12-2002, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX
AWS have manual tannys only.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:53 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
My advice: If you're going to get one, don't screw around and get the VR4. Why? Lets see, with only 160-170 hp and 3600 lbs of mass, this is ONE FREAKING SLOW ASS CAR.

I raced one in my neon. It was a non VR4. With 140hp and 2400 lbs, you can guess what happened....

and man, it would SUCK to pay a LOT for the car, a LOT for insurance, a LOT for gas, and get beat by a stock base model neon. :\

So yeah, get the VR4. They're nice looking cars.

- Ca$h
I dunno where you're getting your figures, but my friend's base model '94 3000GT is rated at 218hp.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2002, 12:04 PM
I_Alcyone_I

thanks for the info, I will advise against getting it.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:12 PM
billisa

there are sites specific to these models

On the Mitsu/Dodge sites there are many references to bad trannies, both auto and manual I believe. I checked them out because I'd considered one of these before landing an SVX. Also, the engines in question for the base/better models are a single/double cam Mitsubishi 3.0 V-6. These engines are prone to burning oil once they reach a certain point. Apparently it's the valve guides. To check this out, start the car STONE COLD. If you see blue smoke at start up, it's already burning oil. This is a bout a $1,500 fix if it's got that problem.

Personally, I prefer a manual trans, but I believe there are people on one of the Mitsu sites that claim it grenades...
Here's one address: www.3si.org
Old 09-12-2002, 12:14 PM

Registered SVX
I dig the 3000GT, but it's just not in the same class as an SVX. The VR4 is a badass, but the car just feels so...unrefined...and even bulkier than the SVX. Very little visibility, washboard ride...

...I always liked how they looked, but I probably wouldn't buy one...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-12-2002, 12:14 PM
billisa

Base Steath/Base GT

The base Stealth uses the single cam 3.0 V-6, but I believe the base Mitsu 3000 GT uses the twin cam version with consequently higher horses...
Old 09-12-2002, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
a 300 gt vr4 it the only thing i would buy im thinkingof buying one myself,,

320 hp 6 speed AWD and AWS what else could uask for..

relaibility is a difrent issue just depnds on how u drive it,