Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 12:08 AM
jbarber

Security system won't re-program?

Yes, it's me again. The "old guy" that just bought the '92 LSL. :-)

Here's what I did to try to re-program the security system for the keyfob gadget. It didn't work:

(1) TEST - Turn security on, LED glows red, blinks every 2 seconds.

(2) Secure doors and trunk, turn off security switch

(3) Turn ignition on, then off again.

(4) Immediately after turning the ignition off, stab the security button rapidly and repeatedly. Until cows get really bored and start a poker game.. No park lights blink, no horn honks, nada. The LED goes on with a push, off with the next push, ad nauseum. The only way to get a click out of the glove box is to lock or unlock the doors. (electric locks work)

Did I do something wrong, or is the alarm module or a sensor not working? How quick should "rapidly" be? The keyfob transmitter may or may not be working, but there's no way to tell if I can't get the car system into programming mode..

Thanks,
--jim
Old 04-16-2002, 12:11 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Sorry I can't help with the alarm but there's a few of us here that take particular offense to someone born in '61 referring to themself as 'old'.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:27 AM
jbarber

Wink Sorry Beav,

>.. but there's a few of us here >that take particular offense to >someone born in '61 referring to themself as 'old'

I see your point, but still remember a time before your birthday became a national traffic nuisance... ;-)

How about "belonging to the group that no longer has any particularly burning desire to apply an 18" wing to a beat-up Honda" ?

--jim
Old 04-16-2002, 02:47 AM
jbarber

Hmmm.. That was obscure, even for me.

19(55), as in 55 MPH. I remember my granddad, an Idaho state policeman growling about what a bunch of nonsense the 55mph limit was when they first enacted it. I really think he coined the phrases:

"Speed doesn't kill people, people kill people"
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

Sounds corny now, but he was trying to teach me something at the time.. It must have worked, I still remember.

--jim
Old 04-16-2002, 04:05 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Speed doesn't kill people, it's the abrupt change of speed/direction that gets 'em.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:43 PM
svxpete

same problem for me

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly.
I have the same problem, can't even get into programming mode, but only difference is my
security light is either on or off, solid. I think
we both need a new security module. Mine ('96 SVX) was nicely relocated to an easily accesible compartment in the trunk however, instead of being behind the glove box. I already took it out, cleaned all the contacts, checked the fuse (yes there is one in the box too), checked every single other fuse in the car, and still no luck. Feels
funny having a $50 key fob. Not sure how to procede since electrical parts are never refunded. Will be checking bone yards next. Let us know if
you get this resolved.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:23 PM
jbarber

'svxpete',

I'll post a note if/when I get it working.

Also, an aquaintance of mine has a stereo/alarm shop, and I'll ask him if there is an aftermarket module that would be easy to adapt to the SVX. If I remember correctly, he has an applications reference. Whether it includes our oddball little cars or not we'll have to see.

--jim
Old 04-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Jim

Jim

What was that???

"Oddball Little Cars" Oh My !!!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-16-2002, 11:42 PM
jbarber

Earl,

>What was that???

Oops.. I do seem to be making the occasional non-PC statement here lately.. Maybe it's the dry air. :-)

The SVX goes into the shop Wednesday morning for wheel bearings and an A/C diagnostic. I haven't done business with this dealer before, (Stewart Subaru, Yakima) so We Shall See.
The security system will have to wait until I get it back.

--jim
Old 04-17-2002, 11:24 PM
Cisco

Yikes!!

I Could tell you a few stories about Stewart Subaru..

But I don't want to scare you.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:15 PM
jbarber

Cisco,

So far so good. They charged $280 to replace the wheel bearing, and the A/C will run around $300 for parts, labor, and freon. (R12) Since the compressor is good, I'm not going to have it converted to R-134 for now. (it's been my experience that converted systems don't cool as well.. At least my Suburban doesn't)

Parts for the A/C should be in around the middle of the week. We're taking the car to Moses Lake Sunday, so we'll see how the wheel bearing holds up.

I hope your wife came through that accident ok. A good cook is MUCH harder to find than an SVX.. :-)

--jim
Old 04-19-2002, 12:49 AM
I_Alcyone_I

I have the same problem with my security system. my light blinks every 2 seconds though. I just gave up. I figure the thief teenagers that live on my street see the red light and think its working. Either that or they dont touch it because every other car around it has an alarm and they assume that mine does too. Either way It's probobly getting broken into right now because I said something.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:10 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I
I have the same problem with my security system. my light blinks every 2 seconds though. I just gave up. I figure the thief teenagers that live on my street see the red light and think its working. Either that or they dont touch it because every other car around it has an alarm and they assume that mine does too. Either way It's probobly getting broken into right now because I said something.
If your light is blinking and you've gone through the procedures correctly, your security system should work. If that's the case, I'd suspect the remote, not the system.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Security system won't re-program?

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarber
Yes, it's me again. The "old guy" that just bought the '92 LSL. :-)

Here's what I did to try to re-program the security system for the keyfob gadget. It didn't work:

(1) TEST - Turn security on, LED glows red, blinks every 2 seconds.

(2) Secure doors and trunk, turn off security switch

(3) Turn ignition on, then off again.

(4) Immediately after turning the ignition off, stab the security button rapidly and repeatedly. Until cows get really bored and start a poker game.. No park lights blink, no horn honks, nada. The LED goes on with a push, off with the next push, ad nauseum. The only way to get a click out of the glove box is to lock or unlock the doors. (electric locks work)

Did I do something wrong, or is the alarm module or a sensor not working? How quick should "rapidly" be? The keyfob transmitter may or may not be working, but there's no way to tell if I can't get the car system into programming mode..

Thanks,
--jim
Jim,
If your light stays on, constantly, your system has more than likely been "shocked" somehow. This seems to be a recurring problem (I had it also). I wound up getting another unit (used, of course), but, I'm thinking that if I were to re-install the unit I took out, it would work. Prehaps if you try unplugging the unit (you'll have to remove the innards of the glove box in the '92/'93 to get to it, and the trunk liner under the rear shelf in the 94+ models), and letting it fully discharge for a day or two, might just get it going again. Also, I posted the "emergency bypass" procedure some time ago on the Yahoo site (And I think, here, also -- not sure). If you do an archive search and a network search, you might find it. I don't know if anyone with your problem has tried the emergency by-pass procedure to see if it worked in a "Light on constantly" scenario, but, it couldn't hurt trying.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-19-2002, 10:19 AM
jbarber

Randy,

Thanks for the info.

FWIW, the light on my system does blink every two seconds when the button is on, but it won't go into programming mode. I'll pull the module, clean the contacts, etc.

One thing I wonder, tho. subaruparts.com and 1stsubaruparts.com both list alarm "upgrades" for around $250. I wonder if this is an updated module?

--jim