IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSTig
It is. Like on most engines. We were talking about hte transmission.
The transmission also has its own oil pump. It is driven by the outside of the torque convertor stub. It provides the pressure needed to operate the hydraulics inside and also provide lubrication. The torque convertor, as a rule of thumb, does not pump oil for these purposes (actually, the oil pump needs to be present and functioning in order to fill the convertor in order for it to work.) Almost all automatics have their pump mounted at the front of the transmission and require the engine running to build pressure. That is why you can't push-start an autobox. There may be more, but the only automatic I'm aware of that has its pump in the rear of the trans and is able to be push-started is found in very old Chrysler family products. I'm not quite sure if they were using the 'TorqFlite' moniker yet.

Coasting in neutral, with or without the engine running, is not advised by any manufacturer. Some of the lubrication in many transmissions is provided by the 'spilled' fluid, i.e. fluid that is released by valves, clutches, the cooler return, etc. This spilled fluid may not be available in neutral and/or coasting situations.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
The transmission also has its own oil pump. It is driven by the outside of the torque convertor stub. It provides the pressure needed to operate the hydraulics inside and also provide lubrication. The torque convertor, as a rule of thumb, does not pump oil for these purposes (actually, the oil pump needs to be present and functioning in order to fill the convertor in order for it to work.) Almost all automatics have their pump mounted at the front of the transmission and require the engine running to build pressure. That is why you can't push-start an autobox. There may be more, but the only automatic I'm aware of that has its pump in the rear of the trans and is able to be push-started is found in very old Chrysler family products. I'm not quite sure if they were using the 'TorqFlite' moniker yet.

Coasting in neutral, with or without the engine running, is not advised by any manufacturer. Some of the lubrication in many transmissions is provided by the 'spilled' fluid, i.e. fluid that is released by valves, clutches, the cooler return, etc. This spilled fluid may not be available in neutral and/or coasting situations.
yes and .....

up untill the mid to late 60's almost all the automatic transmissions had rear pumps. Buy the 70's they were all gone as they were considered redundant, un needed, power consuming and extra weight. i think there is still one car around with a rear pump, but its either a hybrid or an exotic (i forget).

Neutral coasting, your right and wrong. Neutral coasting with the engine running is considered dnagerous and in most states illegal. In Neutral it is thought that in a panick situation (which can require the need to stomp on the little pedal) you wont have the aceleration you need. Also you loose engine braking.
Flat Towing a modern automatic is one of the fastest ways to fry the tranny. It can be done for a very short distance at low speed, but the car needs to be started every 15 minutes to cool off the tranny fluid, and circulate the oil. Its easier not to do it at all.
The only excpetion to this rule is an automatic coupled up to a TRUE 4wd transfer case that has a neutral setting.

nipper
Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 AM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
so... is neutral coasting with the engine on actually bad on the tranny or is it just unwise because you can't romp on the gas.
(Geo Metros are also unsafe because you can't romp on the gas in emergencies)

also, does this apply to autos only or manuals too?

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-25-2006, 12:45 AM

its not bad for the tranny, just unsake since you are disconnected from the drivline.
nipper
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 AM

Over 100k in 2 svxs, about 16-17 in suburban and about 25 on the road. And that's driving very conservatively...FL & Ny.

2004 Stage 3 XT Forester-Soon for sale!

2007 Jag S-type, just 17k on it!

Past prides: 1992 black LsL new off the lot.
1992 pearlie for a few months.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 AM

surprise

I didnt get to finish the tank, and believe me if you want,

but on one fill up of Super premium Unleaded, I got up to 310 miles on 3/4 of a tank...that was all freeway driving, i bet i could have gotten up to 370

1992 Teal AWD SVX
10" Sub w/ Amp, Kenwood MP3 player
18" Rims

To come:
Shortram intake, repaint dash pieces, repaint random sections, clear lenses, refinishing leather...etc
Old 06-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I'm happy with my mileage.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
<<<Alcyone

If my mileage stays over about 16-17 mpg, I'll still be saving money over my other vehicle - '89 Toyota Landcruiser. No, I don't 17 mpg in the 'Cruiser (I wish!), I'm adjusting for price of Premium vs. Regular.

Yes, my cars are all old, but the bank doesn't own any of them!

I filled up with $2.999 Premium yesterday. The price has finally broken the $3.00 barrier, the correct direction.

Dan
Old 06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG
I'm paying $73 per fillup these days. Thats about 57 litres, average. 1Imp Gallon ~= 4.546 litres, 1US Gallon ~=3.983 litres, fyi.
Ouch, that's expensive...where are you filling up, Revelstoke?

The MOST I've had to pay was $71 (for 94 octane).
Old 06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
TheSTig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysvx
I didnt get to finish the tank, and believe me if you want,

but on one fill up of Super premium Unleaded, I got up to 310 miles on 3/4 of a tank...that was all freeway driving, i bet i could have gotten up to 370
I've gotten over 400 quite a few times. >shrug<
Old 06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
94 Octane! That must run well. I don't even think you can get that in the states. I've heard that lower octane = better gas mileage too. I use 91 here in New Mexico.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 06-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda3000
94 Octane! That must run well. I don't even think you can get that in the states. I've heard that lower octane = better gas mileage too. I use 91 here in New Mexico.
87 and 91 are normal here. I only get 94 because on thursdays it costs the same as 87. I also get 2 cents/litre back on CAA (like AAA).
Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I managed right around 25mpg on the way back from the NASIOC Dragon meet earlier this month... I think I get right around 21mpg on average though... I am rather "slow" around town when I drive it...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Little late getting in on this thread... I was averageing 22 mpg. before my mods. Then it went to 18.5 or so. I recently switched to Royal Purple fluids in everything and after my 2nd oil change with RP I jumped up to 19.8. I'm not light on the throttle either, I work on Sat and Sun so the freeway is EMPTY! So I usually average 85 the whole way to work, about 22 miles. Then on Mondays and Fridays I get stuck in traffic going onto base and traffic coming home. Hopefully I'll be back up in the 20s after the 6spd.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 06-28-2006, 01:18 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Ouch, that's expensive...where are you filling up, Revelstoke?

The MOST I've had to pay was $71 (for 94 octane).
lol. Burnaby actually, I think it was $1.14.5/litre for 87 Octane, I think it was $1.32.8/litre for 92 at an Esso. Some days they have a 3 cent discount per litre some days they don't, confuses the crap out of me.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms