Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
One teal and One yellow

Dan, thanks for your track info. Hmmm I don't think this is the hobby for me right now. I need to save more money to pay my other stuff. I don't think my SVX is good for tracks, need to do some upgrades, for regular drivings is okay.

Don't worry! I've never been to the track so I don't know how would I be doing at that situations. I just think this is interesting and watch quite some track battle movies. Thanks for your advice. Car at the track must be good, driver has to be better haha. What I meant those powerful cars will be similar power to the SVX or a lil bit more, maybe the 350Z or EVO. If renting a car to the AutoX, I may think of the Chevy Aveo, that could be cute and fun but not sure how much it can do.

You may also check the aluminium radiator at the eBay. I did see they're selling on the eBay. I don't know if it's the same one(is there only one vendor?) But it seems easier to buy and it doesn't have to be group order or anything. The last time I saw, with shipping and the item, it's still less than $500 of total.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
How much is it to specate? It'd definitely be cool to take some nice lap rounding pics there
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
How much is it to specate? It'd definitely be cool to take some nice lap rounding pics there
Your pics are great too! That'd definitely be awesome!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
MikeCG:

The fastest cars there, Corvette Z06's and some older racing 911 Porsches hit maybe 140-150 at the end of the main straight. I expect you might hit 130 to 135 at the end of the straight. Your power to weight is probably equivalent to an STI or an Evo. An SVX might have a little better aerodynamics. The slowest car there a 1960 three cylinder two-stroke Saab with straight pipes (loud) hit about 80 at the end of the straight. But, he went through the turn at the end at about 65.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Chike:

It was the black wagon. He was a stock 5MT. I think maybe 2003 or 2004. He didn't mention any mods.
That definitely doesn't surpise me. From the headlight design of the black wagon, it was either an '02-'03 model with the 2.0L turbocharged flat 4. They dyno around 170-175whp stock and have a 3.90 final drive.

You're running an '04 WRX trans, so you had the same gear ratios and 3.90 final drive as the WRX wagon. Also, the wagon probably weighs ~100lbs less than your 5MT SVX. Good going out there!

-Chike

P.S. I'm autoXing this weekend with the Triad Sports Car Club from NC. They use SCCA classes, but as they're not an official SCCA club, they don't follow their regulations for course design and speeds (SCCA regulates that course speeds can't exceed 65mph inorder to keep their classing fair). They're having an autoX at the Danville airport, and I'm told there should be some high speeds reached during this event.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
MikeCG:

The fastest cars there, Corvette Z06's and some older racing 911 Porsches hit maybe 140-150 at the end of the main straight. I expect you might hit 130 to 135 at the end of the straight. Your power to weight is probably equivalent to an STI or an Evo. An SVX might have a little better aerodynamics. The slowest car there a 1960 three cylinder two-stroke Saab with straight pipes (loud) hit about 80 at the end of the straight. But, he went through the turn at the end at about 65.

I should be close to redline around 135. The SVX turns 3500rpm at 75mph in 6th.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

MikeCG:

What rear end ratio are you running?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 06-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Couple things...

Depending on the Insurance company, most will cover open track and HPDE events. As long as laptimes are not being taken, it is not racing, and it is a driver learning event. This is something you should talk about with your agent, but be clear that you are NOT racing, and it is a drivers "training" or learning event.

Also, in regards to cooling. Make sure you are running only the amount of coolant specified by the "fill line" I would also use try to use distalled water only (instead of anti-freeze/water), with a bottle of water wetter. Water has a higher specific heat than "coolant" and the water wetter will have the proper additives to eliminate the problems of water only operation.

I would NOT use the stock water guage as a guide, as I believe the "red" is somewhere around 250* which is WAYYY to hot. Get a decent water temp, oil temp, and trans temp gauge (even with a manual trans) to keep track of things.

The biggest shortfalls I think the SVX would have is heat evacuation from under the hood, and heat evacuation from the brakes. If I were to ever take my SVX to the track, the first things I would do would be to install brake ducts, fresh high dry temp brake fluid, and make sure that your pads and rotors are fresh/new. Always have a spare set when you go to the track, as you'd be surprised how quickly you can go through them.

Short of installing some heat vents on the hood, there is not much you can do about underhood temps without increaseing lift.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Crap, I need to goto one of these events. I'd be bouncing off the redline in 6th with the gearing I've got and the Stage III.
... You should be higher than 135 on the top end... think about this... 60mph in 4th in the automatic is about 2000 rpm... redline is about 180 mph.

figure even if you're using 4.44 gears, and a 6th gear that is .76:1, stock 225/50/16 tires and a 7000 rpm redline, you can get up to 153 mph.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
3500rpm @ 75mph = 7400rpm @ 158.5mph
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Drivemusicnow:

With regard to insurers, what you said used to be the case, however, the HPDE organizers have warned me that insurers are taking a much harder line toward damage in HPDE events. Even if no lap timing occurs, insurers may still assert that the event is a competitive, or unauthorized abusive activity. Some claims have been definitely been contested by the insurers. I don't know if these were successful.

I'm definitely thinking of running distilled water and water wetter next summer, without anti-freeze, then changing to antifreeze for winter. I'll be adding water wetter to the coolant as soon as my shipment arrives. I think that with that and my cool-down protocol, cruising around in 4th at 20mph for 10 minutes after each track session, I'll be OK.

With respect to the brakes I'm running Axxis Ultimate pads in front and Metal Masters in the rear with fresh Wilwood 570 fluid.

Also, my ECU hits the rev limiter at about 7300 rpm. So, Mike ought to be able to get to get over 150, if he has enough room. But his power to weight ratio is only a little better than a stock STI, and a lot lower than a Z06, so I don't think he would get much more than 130-135.

TE 1221:

You have to be with someone who is registered to get in. Having said that, non-drivers don't have to pay, but you really can't get out onto the course to do much spectating. The photographers have an infield pass. The stewards jump all over anybody who's not a photographer or corner worker who gets out of the designated area, which isn't all that good for spectating the infield roads.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I should be close to redline around 135. The SVX turns 3500rpm at 75mph in 6th.
Do you have a JDM trans with a .842 6th gear or a USDM with a .756?

Just curious.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Maniac modifier

He has the JDM close ratio tranny in his car. Should maxe out at or around 150 mph.... I have no idea why I know this... Whistles and walks away non-chalantly

Tom