Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-27-2002, 02:39 PM
ilya37

Question Timing Belt broke

Hello,

I have 1992 SVX with 106K miles on it... and all of a sudden it died at the stop light. I took to the mechanic he said that the Timing Belt broke. This car had 60K scheduled maintance and timing belt was replaced then. Shouldn't it had lasted at least for another 20+K miles??? Also, what happenes to the engine and overhead now? Is it gone? The Subaru guy said that everything should be cool except for there are two bearings that need to be checked for, as well as some tensioners. If somebody know anything this let me know... I just want to get some outside help from people who really know about SVXs. Thanx.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:56 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Timing Belt broke

Quote:
Originally posted by ilya37
Hello,

I have 1992 SVX with 106K miles on it... and all of a sudden it died at the stop light. I took to the mechanic he said that the Timing Belt broke. This car had 60K scheduled maintance and timing belt was replaced then. Shouldn't it had lasted at least for another 20+K miles??? Also, what happenes to the engine and overhead now? Is it gone? The Subaru guy said that everything should be cool except for there are two bearings that need to be checked for, as well as some tensioners. If somebody know anything this let me know... I just want to get some outside help from people who really know about SVXs. Thanx.
i've seen timing belts go before, and replaced one in an infinity. The engines are nothing alike, but there was no perminant damage from breaking. I dont see why you would need anything other than a new belt put in there and to have it adjusted. However it is rather costly, at least at a shop due to the labor envolved
Old 03-27-2002, 03:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Timing Belt broke

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

i've seen timing belts go before, and replaced one in an infinity. The engines are nothing alike, but there was no perminant damage from breaking. I dont see why you would need anything other than a new belt put in there and to have it adjusted. However it is rather costly, at least at a shop due to the labor envolved
I don't know about the engine in the Infinity, but the EG33 in the SVX is a non-interference engine. What this means is that, even if the timing belt breaks, the pistons can't crash into the valves. Many engines aren't designed with this in mind, so when the timing belt breaks, everything gets out of synch and the pistons DO crash into open valves.

I don't know what 'bearings' your mechanic told you he wanted to check out.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-27-2002, 04:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm sure he just wants to check the tensioner and idler pulleys (bearings.) He's doing the right thing to look for something that may have led to your belt's premature departure.

Beav
Old 03-27-2002, 04:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I'm sure he just wants to check the tensioner and idler pulleys (bearings.) He's doing the right thing to look for something that may have led to your belt's premature departure.

Beav
Good to know. Thanks.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE